What did you do today? 2019 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just out of curiosity...

We've wondered about taking one of the northern lights cruises up the coast of Norway, and I wondered about the seas during winter. Are they regularly like this? Is this extreme? Or is there a better time of year? I was looking at a cruise that's in October. Thought I read something about weather being better for viewing around that time (late fall/early winter), since you need clear skies.

Any insight from those with experience is appreciated... :)

Just out of curiosity...

We've wondered about taking one of the northern lights cruises up the coast of Norway, and I wondered about the seas during winter. Are they regularly like this? Is this extreme? Or is there a better time of year? I was looking at a cruise that's in October. Thought I read something about weather being better for viewing around that time (late fall/early winter), since you need clear skies.

Any insight from those with experience is appreciated... :)

We just did that earlier this month.
Two things to keep in mind are that you're more likely to get clearer skies in the colder part of the year, and you want to schedule your trip around the new moon for darker skies.

We had a few hours of slightly rough seas, but most of the trip was like being on a lake.

Temperatures were only a little below what our neighbors had here in the Cincinnati area.

Norway is wonderful and we are still talking about how great the trip was.

helped a friend who is recovering from a very serious car crash with an ekectrical probkem and some shopping.

I bought my house new 20 years ago. It came with the inside walls of garage unpainted which I finally painted it today. What made me painted after so many years? I had enough leftover paint from re-painting the external house walls.

DH and I spent the day helping DD and her husband with yard work. Their home has extensive landscaping that was a bit neglected by the previous owners. Even with four of us working all day we barely made a dent. It will be gorgeous eventually, with spring bulbs and summer & fall blooming perennials in all of the beds. But with five acres of grounds to deal with, they’ve accepted that it will be a multi-year project to get everything looking how it should.

As we were packing the pickup to head home, a bald eagle flew in and perched in one of the trees along the edge of their property. Seeing an eagle never gets old.

Have problems with the motorhome heater. So drove for 2 hours this morning to get to the nearest motorhome garage. Their tech guy agreed with me what the cause might be and spare parts have been ordered. So now I've stopped for lunch (in the MH) before driving back home.

The ship is now docked in Molde Harbor. It looked like the cruise ended there. A total of 479 passengers out of 1300 people on board had been airlifted earlier.

See: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...f-terrifying-conditions/ar-BBV8Nr3?li=BBnb7Kz.

Hurray!! So glad all the passengers were rescued. :)

I'm really impressed with the helicopter crews. The local paper interviewed one of the pilots. She said she just flew back and forth as fast as possible and focused so hard on the job that time stood still.

The passengers all got a voucher of about $300 from the cruise line and one shopping centre in Molde opened up their usually closed for Sunday shops so that they could buy clothes and other neccesities.

Seemed a bit over the top for me since they also got the choice of staying in their cabins or moving to a hotel. So I guess they haven't really lost their belongings? But a nice gesture and the chance of some retail therapy. And probably part of the ships insurance deal.

I imagine Viking will do the right thing for them. I saw that they laid on a charter flight for 200 to get them home to London.

When we took a Viking river cruise in 2016 there was a problem of the river level, so half the trip involved long bus rides. Viking gave us a 20% discount coupon for a future river cruise (which we used).

I bought my house new 20 years ago. It came with the inside walls of garage unpainted which I finally painted it today. What made me painted after so many years? I had enough leftover paint from re-painting the external house walls.

I'm going to be doing that this spring - but only to sell the house. Garage walls last painted in 1960 when the house was built. 1960's pastel blue right now, on half-swirl plaster walls, and even the ceiling. Millenials would run screaming.

Held a yard sale yesterday. Lots of stuff no longer our problem! We averaged $65/hour! A few things packed back into bins to hang in garage until our neighbor hosts a neighborhood yard sale in a couple months. Bonus - one customer works at the dog rescue I had been collecting towels & bedding for - took the entire load back to work! No longer in our house! Yay!

Went house shopping. Developed 3 options for getting down to one house. DW and I are not agreeing on house, location, or plan of attack.

I'm really impressed with the helicopter crews. The local paper interviewed one of the pilots. She said she just flew back and forth as fast as possible and focused so hard on the job that time stood still...

I am also impressed that they could airlift so many passengers.

Headline on another article: "Norway wants to know why cruise ship sailed in stormy weather, forcing air evacuation".

Well, the cruise line has to make a living, rain or shine. :)

See: https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...ow-why-ship-sailed-stormy-weather/3265772002/.

Went house shopping. Developed 3 options for getting down to one house. DW and I are not agreeing on house, location, or plan of attack.

:D ... so what's new?

Made a doorknob of a cabinet sitting in my garage. I didn't want to buy the doorknobs - hassle to drive to Home Depot and back just for a doorknob. I looked around my house to find old ones I can salvage but didn't find any. In the end, I used two wine corks, screwed them on the door. They look nice.

Oh, yeah, painted the cabinet, too.

Haven't done it yet, (or perhaps it hasn't done me), but I have an 08:00 a.m. appointment for a Cystoscopy at a hospital about 20 miles from here.

Haven't done it yet, (or perhaps it hasn't done me), but I have an 08:00 a.m. appointment for a Cystoscopy at a hospital about 20 miles from here.

Good luck.

Just had one last week. Good luck, it is an easy test to pass.[emoji23]

Yesterday something we'd been hoping would happen for more than 20 years finally came to pass. We had reliable, high speed, uncapped, reasonably priced, fiber internet service installed at the house. Instead of seeing our download speeds slow to 1-2 Mbps during peak Netflix hour last evening, we continued to get a solid 50 Mbps.

Life is good...

Just had one last week. Good luck, it is an easy test to pass.[emoji23]

Still have an infection....back on antibiotics.....possibly/probably caused by large kidney stones in each kidney...first side, (8mm), will be addressed April 08....(won't do both sides at the same time in case of problems).

Back to the local hospital....blood tests/urine tests/EKG.

I used to be smug about not having doctor's appointments.....now I'm becoming the 'regular' that sits in the corner mumbling to himself.

Still have an infection....back on antibiotics.....possibly/probably caused by large kidney stones in each kidney...first side, (8mm), will be addressed April 08....(won't do both sides at the same time in case of problems)...

Kidney stones are no fun. Good luck to you.

Still have an infection....back on antibiotics.....possibly/probably caused by large kidney stones in each kidney...first side, (8mm), will be addressed April 08....(won't do both sides at the same time in case of problems).

Back to the local hospital....blood tests/urine tests/EKG.

I used to be smug about not having doctor's appointments.....now I'm becoming the 'regular' that sits in the corner mumbling to himself.
Drat! I hope all goes well. None of us would want to have kidney stones at all, much less in each kidney.

I'm having routine lab tests done today and frankly I hate even getting those done.
Yesterday something we'd been hoping would happen for more than 20 years finally came to pass. We had reliable, high speed, uncapped, reasonably priced, fiber internet service installed at the house. Instead of seeing our download speeds slow to 1-2 Mbps during peak Netflix hour last evening, we continued to get a solid 50 Mbps.

Life is good...
Hot dog!!! AT LAST you have decent internet. :clap: :dance: You sure have been waiting long enough.

They have been promising us fiber for at least 10 years that I know of, and tearing up the street and sidewalk through the neighborhoods to prepare for it, but so far absolutely nothing. They just advertise that it's coming soon, as they have for years. I guess promises are cheap.

Our regular Cox cable has gotten a lot better in the meantime, probably due to possible future competition. Just checked and it is 118 Mbps right now as I type this, although it's advertised as "up to 100 Mbps" for my midlevel internet. Now, if only it didn't go down quite so often. I know, I know, never satisfied, right? :D

I'm having routine lab tests done today and frankly I hate even getting those done.

Enjoy! I said to DW that I'm such a fixture at Dr.'s offices and hospitals now that I'll likely be getting Christmas cards from the janitors, nurses, etc, from now on....one of the family an' all that. :dance:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom