What did you do today? 2019 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The captain of the ship can now join this ER forum.

I would be hard pressed to believe the captain made the decision to continue without checking with Viking HQ. AFAIK, those cruise ships are in constant communication with their corporate bosses.

What did you do today? 2019 version.

We are de-cluttering!!

F and I filled up my Venza with stuff to donate to Good Will. Our Good Will has a drive though and people to carry the stuff inside, which makes the whole process really easy. I donated a lot of stuff, and so did F.

Next time, we are going to make a similar trip to the dump to get rid of things that aren't worth donating.

It's amazing - - after all the decluttering I did just 3 years ago for my move, by now I need to go through this all over again. We both feel so much happier without so much excess stuff weighting us down like a lot (flock? gaggle? bunch?) of albatrosses hanging around our necks. How's that for imagery to puzzle you for the rest of the afternoon? :ROFLMAO: Oh well, you know what I mean.

I have no idea why we started madly decluttering. Must be this great spring weather. :D

I would be hard pressed to believe the captain made the decision to continue without checking with Viking HQ. AFAIK, those cruise ships are in constant communication with their corporate bosses.

OK. He can join the forum and talk about doing OMY instead.

like a lot (flock? gaggle? bunch?) of albatrosses hanging around our necks. How's that for imagery to puzzle you for the rest of the afternoon? :ROFLMAO:

Apparently it's a rookery - (yeah, I looked it up)....I've heard that term when referring to crows (rooks).....but not to chess pieces or albatrosses (albatri?).

What type of cleaning solution do you use for the house trim? We're in the Gulf coast region as well and I have not been able to find anything that works on the trim.

I have vinyl siding trim(mostly brick house). Last time I cleaned I combined liquid dishwashing soap, cup of bleach and warm water in a small bucket for my cleaner. Nothing scientific to my concoction.;) Applied with soft bristle brush and washed away with garden hose. My pressure washer has a container to put solutions into that I can spray on with the wand. It does say to only use approved products for pressure washers and I haven't investigated what to use yet.

Apparently it's a rookery - (yeah, I looked it up)....I've heard that term when referring to crows (rooks).....but not to chess pieces or albatrosses (albatri?).
I've been trying to befriend a crow today, it is very wary of me. It doesn't know me but it's not taking any chances.

I've been trying to befriend a crow today, it is very wary of me. It doesn't know me but it's not taking any chances.

When I lived in B.C. there was a pre-owned crow, (the local kids knew him and he eventually went 'home', or so I was told), who hung around our place for a while.....untying your shoelaces without being asked, that kinda stuff.

A lot of people don't like them, but I think they're great......very smart........see them alongside the highways....they know exactly where the lanes end and the shoulder begins.

A rookery of albatri? :2funny: I love it! Well, that's what endless full closets full of dusty, unused stuff that I once thought I needed, feel like - - a rookery of albatri. And now I have one Venza fewer of albatri hanging around in my closets....

OK, I looked it up and
noun. albatross (plural albatross or albatrosses)
But I still like your term albatri even if it isn't a word.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 208

Other collective nouns for albatrosses include gam, and weight.

From a USA Today article:

”We don't know the reason why the ship sailed, knowing such bad weather was forecast," Kurt Olsen, acting director for Norway's Accident Investigations Board, told USA TODAY.... Olsen would not speculate why the Viking Sky captain decided to sail despite the weather warning.

I would still guess the captain had the final say—surely he would have refused to proceed if he thought the weather was too dangerous. If it was a corporate decision against his wishes, and he is now thrown under the boat as it were, he can join many ERs who suffered the same treatment from their bosses.

(This story is interesting to me because only a few days earlier we were on a 900-passenger ship in the Aegean and ran into some rough-to-me seas; I rationalized my fears by thinking that we never hear about ships like this getting into much trouble :LOL:)

Last edited:
So, back to preparing to welcome the captain to the forum? Or is it more likely he will not identify himself?

Here's an excerpt from an article in USA Today:

When asked if Viking Ocean Cruises took extra precautions in advance of the season to prepare for winter weather, Viking spokesman Ian Jeffries told USA TODAY: "Viking Sky is an ocean-going vessel built to the highest standards. It is designed to sail worldwide. It had onboard two experienced local Norwegian pilots who were there to advise the captain." ...

The above article says this ship has 4 engines!

One of the pressures on the captain is the schedule. He has to be at a final destination by a certain date and time for the debarking passengers to catch their flights home and to meet the new embarking passengers.
When I was on a river cruise a few years ago, we were stuck for 2 days due to high waters. We had to miss a couple of our stops to get to our final destination at a certain time and date.
Some passengers were upset because they did not understand schedule constraints.

IIRC, the practice is (or was) called "keelhauling".:D

Keelhauling may be survivable (if the perpetrators allow it), but plank walking is surely lethal.

On another subject, I just came back from Fry's Electronics. I went there to get a new SD memory card for my pocket camera.

The store looked deserted, with much fewer sales staff than used to be there. The shelves were not as fully stocked. When I came to the checkout line, only 1/4 or 1/5 of the cash registers were manned.

I think the world has enough of electronic gizmos, and people run out of things to buy. How many TVs, digital cameras, stereos does each of us have? I will not ask about camcorders, and MP3 players, iPods, etc..., that nobody uses anymore.

That's what happens when people have everything. Even the smartphones only get so far, and there are no new things to wow the public anymore.

Keelhauling may be survivable (if the perpetrators allow it), but plank walking is surely lethal.

Scraping along barnacles would leave one looking like hamburger I imagine.

When I lived in B.C. there was a pre-owned crow, (the local kids knew him and he eventually went 'home', or so I was told), who hung around our place for a while.....untying your shoelaces without being asked, that kinda stuff.

A lot of people don't like them, but I think they're great......very smart........see them alongside the highways....they know exactly where the lanes end and the shoulder begins.

When I was 12 or so a friend had a pet crow for a couple months as I recall.... it flew off one summer day and was never seen again.

I just heard the saddest thing today . I belong to a women's group and one of the women was diagnosed last year with Parkinson A really lovely nice looking woman.She is doing great but her husband has left her because He wants to enjoy his last years without the burden of her . They were married 40 years .What a jerk !

What a jerk !
An understatement.

I, and a number of others hereabouts, have watched spouses die.......it's an awful experience, but I doubt any of us thought about abandoning them.

A friend of mine and his (now late) wife were on the verge of breaking up when she was diagnosed with terminal cancer - he told her he'd see her through it, and he did; I don't think he could have looked at himself in the mirror if he hadn't.

I just heard the saddest thing today . I belong to a women's group and one of the women was diagnosed last year with Parkinson A really lovely nice looking woman.She is doing great but her husband has left her because He wants to enjoy his last years without the burden of her . They were married 40 years .What a jerk !
I hope he ends up in the 9th circle of hell:( My wife was brain injured and I was her caregiver for 12 years until her death. It was not easy, but my attitude was, you do what you have to do.
My copilot has Parkinson's, and is leading a full life.

Today, I worked in the community garden in the morning, went out to lunch, and then sang parts 2 and 3 of Handel's Messiah with a community chorale and orchestra in the afternoon. The orchestra also played the Spring concerto of Vivaldi's Four Seasons.

Today, I worked in the community garden in the morning, went out to lunch, and then sang parts 2 and 3 of Handel's Messiah

"Hallelujah!!" (Well, someone had to say it.)

Found out yesterday that the wife of one of DH's long-time friends died suddenly and unexpectedly last week. Even worse, friend found his wife dead in the backyard upon returning home after a few hours away. She was in her mid-60s and a cancer survivor but they think it was either a massive heart attack or stroke. We talked with him yesterday and he is still in shock. Today at church I picked out a prayer shawl for him (even better, it was one I had knitted myself). Quite the reminder that none of us are promised tomorrow.

Met my older son and my grandson (just turned 21) at a local brewpub. He is a junior at UCLA studying Engineering. Seems to have his head on straight, and will be doing a summer intern with a local company. He asked me a bunch of questions about my career, but I reminded him that I started 60 years ago, and the world has certainly changed, technically.
All in all, a great visit. Turned out there was a food truck outside selling crab cakes and other seafood, so I called DW and asked if she would like me to pick up dinner. She said yes, so I brought her home a great crab cake plate and I had some soft shell crabs. This was NOT your usual lunch truck!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom