What did you do today? 2019 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my bands played a gig last night. Lots of former co-workers showed up and it was like a mini-reunion as some of them haven't seen each other in quite a while.

While I absolutely hate Facebook, by creating an account a couple weeks ago it let allowed me to easily promote my bands and let people know when we're playing. A couple clicks and I'm able to instantly let 100 people know, and then they share the link with others, which let to the great turnout. It's a lot easier than texting some, emailing others, etc.

Any day above ground is a good day, but this day has had a few snags. First, there was bird poop on my truck so I took it to the coin wash. In the process, I was untangling the hose and inadvertently nicked my truck with the nozzle. My truck has about 3000 miles. I guess the first one is the hardest. Then, I sit down to watch basketball and the only channel not working is CBS. What the hell! I call the cable company thinking it’s blacked out or something and they said they’re having technical difficulties. They said they got a lot of calls on that. You think?? Based on my experience with technical support, I wonder if they tried to unplugged anything and reboot their computer. Anyway, I hope they get their stuff together before the MSU / Duke game.

I'm not too much on reporting my very slow house building progress, but yesterday was a stellar day. I finished framing the inside of a wall in the basement. It is 13 inches thick with the outside supporting portion completed years ago. The inside portion has all the mechanical stuff right In front of it. It also steps up about 18 inches every 5 feet or so. It took a lot of contorting to get the walls done behind the furnace, hot water tank, pressure tank, and heat recovery ventilator, but it is done and ready for final framing inspection. On the other framing final details.

Hermit - You can't rush these things.

After much procrastination, did my tax returns online and filed online.
I owe some $ to the feds, will send check via snail mail.

Stored a big batch of beer in a new contraption:

Stored a big batch of beer in a new contraption:

Great DIY tips!

But take it even one more step:
One more beer.jpg

Hosted a dear friend this weekend, he came up to go to a memorial service with DH for a friend from high school.
Today is bright and sunny day, and I am wearing sunglasses in the house due to eye exam and dilation--I do not like that part!

Today is bright and sunny day, and I am wearing sunglasses in the house due to eye exam and dilation--I do not like that part!

Yabbut...think how cool you'll appear to anyone coming to the door.

(If it's a stranger, don't forget to say "No autographs, please".)

Last edited:
Yesterday, the choral group I sing with recorded a 15th century choral work that, as far anyone can tell, and there are people who investigate these things;), has no available recordings, commercial or otherwise. Last fall we gave what we are reasonably certain was the western hemisphere premier of the work. For me, a real geek about old music, this was one of my top two or three lifetime musical moments.:D

Put the snowbird condo up for sale. Should be able to sell it and get something bigger/better before next season. Also bought a little HP laser printer today. Got all of our tax stuff together to bring to the accountant tomorrow.

I got rid of some stuff today and made some money.

I recently bought some rubber grip weights to replace the standard steel plates. Yesterday I listed the old steel weights on the internet and today sold them for a nice $1 per pound. $300 for 300 pounds of weights.

Also, a guitar player in one of my bands just agreed to buy on old amp that I'm not using for $400.

DD has been on my case for several years to do strength training to combat inevitable muscle decline from aging. I have never joined a gym and have always found ones I visited unpleasant, either due to poor condition of equipment, foul odors, or obnoxious body builders. A friend mentioned her gym last week and invited me to go as a guest, so I joined her this morning and was very pleasantly surprised - very bright and airy (it was built in a former supermarket), extremely clean, and it has a women-only workout area with a good selection of equipment. I'm probably going to join and make this part of my regular routine - it's only about 5 minutes from our house and no major traffic, which is a big plus.

DD has been on my case for several years to do strength training to combat inevitable muscle decline from aging.

I have all my strength training records for ten years, and I don't seem to have lost any significant strength over that time. The Bowflex rods may be getting less resistant, but in terms of chinups, I am where I was back then.

Did the taxes with FreeTaxUSA. That site is well designed, and it was pretty painless.

We moved to a condo nearly three years ago, and one of the few things I've missed has been the backyard birds. Always had three or four feeders of various kinds around, but they're not OK in our HOA rules and I can understand that.

But I figured that I could at least put up a hummingbird feeder in our covered patio, since that has a low profile and probably wouldn't even be noticed. I really love watching the little guys.

Today's project was to get a hummer feeder out of storage, clean it up, mount it unobtrusively and make some nectar. Temperatures are forecast to be in the 40s and above from now on, so Spring has officially sprung.

I find myself looking every ten minutes, hoping to see the first customer!

I went in for Mohs surgery again to combat the skin cancer I have been battling for 35 years. Hand and face this time. Good surgeon that I have used a half a dozen times or more. After a week or so I will start again on chemical treatment with efudex on my scalp and face. Takes about 4-6 weeks and burns most of that time. Not fun but better than waiting until I get melanoma. Fun day. :D

Cheers!

Recently, I have been devoting my time to getting in the mindset for the upcoming 5-week long trip through Spain and Portugal. And as part of the preparation, I set out all the electronics I am bringing with me, and checked to make sure everything worked.

I learned a few things about the portable phone chargers that I have used, but more about that on another thread. My Chuwi tablet acted up. Basically, its touchpad was acting weird, and was unusable. I normally brought along a mini USB mouse to use with it, but this problem was new. A bit of surfing the Web showed that a recent problem popped up with the Windows 10 updates since I last used the tablet in 2017. Darn Microsoft and its buggy software!

I found a work-around solution on the Web, and it seemed to work.

My wife ran out of ideas for dinner. Got some andouille sausages in the fridge, so I said I would make jambalaya. My wife texted my son to ask if he wanted to come for dinner. Of course my son would gladly come. He loves my cooking.

DD has been on my case for several years to do strength training to combat...

It's funny how your mind tends to get ahead of something you hear or read. I immediately had the following image in mind when I reached the word "combat". :)

Womens_Muay_Thai.jpg

I went in for Mohs surgery again to combat the skin cancer I have been battling for 35 years. Hand and face this time. Good surgeon that I have used a half a dozen times or more. After a week or so I will start again on chemical treatment with efudex on my scalp and face. Takes about 4-6 weeks and burns most of that time. Not fun but better than waiting until I get melanoma. Fun day. :D

Cheers!

I had my 6 month dermatologist appt this morning. Froze a few spots, took a sample of couple others to send to lab. One was on my melanoma scar (back shoulder blade), but doc thinks it is not, but being cautious wanted to check it out. I hope it is just some scar tissue that is changing a bit. Doc has pictures so can compare from previous visits. Isn't technology wonderful.

I should have done this last fall, but didn't because I was distracted by... something. Anyway I changed the oil and sharpened the blade on DW's lawn mower. We call it "hers" because it was originally purchased to leave at her father's house when she was doing all the yard work there. When that ended it came here and even though we now have a lawn service to do the mowing, DW sometimes mows when she thinks the lawn service's once-a-week schedule isn't timely enough.

Oh, and I found that the new Milwaukee battery-powered impact wrench is terrific for removing lawn mower blades. I shoulda bought one of those years ago.

Woke up to snow, just flurries! We both woke up sick, a little cold and blach stuff. DW spent most of the day in bed with the dogs. Funny they think it's a special treat. I've been up and done as much as I'm going to. Except dinner, I guess I'll have to figure something out.

Now all of us are up it is graupel(ing) outside and I just heard thunder.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graupel

Much of our snow is melting. There's only a few feet in most places. Other places where snow came from roofs or driveways there are still many feet.

Last edited:
Yesterday spent some money on the older son's college... a first for me. He got his acceptance and rejection notifications by last week. (March 31st was the deadline to notify.)

No more fat envelopes indicating acceptance and skinny envelopes indicating rejection.... It's all online... In fact some schools don't even send an email... Kids have to go to the school's portal and check it daily during the window of notification.

He had 3 good options to narrow down to one... which he did. And notified me that he needed help through the process of accepting. To accept you have to pay a fee. That was the first college expense. Then, since housing is in short supply at this school you are encouraged to sign up for dorms sooner than later... So that was another fee. (and a huge questionnaire.) And the school has a mandatory orientation 2 day thing during the summer where the students take the placement tests, register for classes, etc... which is another fee.

Now I have to figure out how to withdraw from the 529.... Another first for our family. Up till now it's been contributions only... Kind of like retirement savings... it's weird to withdraw rather than add to an account you've been building for a long time.

Good milestones to hit.

Hi Rodi,
Congrats on your son;s acceptance. I have been paying for my grandson's tuition out of my 529 for 3 years. I have the accounts with FIDO. All I needed was his student ID number, the Bursar's address, and the amount.
I hope this helps.

Yesterday spent some money on the older son's college... a first for me. He got his acceptance and rejection notifications by last week.

Wow, congratulations!!! What a milestone. He's on his way... :D :dance:

And hey, I know you well enough to know you have been saving a decent amount for the expenses, and now you get to use it as planned.

You must be so proud of him! :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom