What did you do today? 2019 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations to your son, Rodi! The next four years will go by so fast!

I saved only our last statement for DS’s undergrad from his university, dated November 2003 before his December graduation (three charges for printing and two for “snacks” :LOL:)—so that was the other end of our college funding journey.

Drove 25 miles to have coffee with a friend I have not seen in months. Retirement is good for these things.

Went and got a new dehumidifier for the basement. Sheesh, the old one was only 15 years old!

Went to my weekly yoga class and then to the gym I visited Tuesday to sign up. I'll meet with a trainer tomorrow morning to get a workout routine together.

Decided to clean out my catchall dresser drawer with the goal of getting everything from my ugly plastic lingerie chest into my main dresser. Half of the stuff in the drawer was trash (receipts from 15+ years ago, the curler bag I made back in high school, one sock, one glove, etc.). Rehomed what was left into more appropriate places. Now taking a break from cleaning out the lingerie chest. One drawer was full of pantyhose. Although I used to wear them to w*rk frequently, I can't remember the last time I put a pair on. I kept 2 pairs just in case and the rest went into the trash. Why did it take me 9 years to do this:confused:?

It looks like my master ensuite project will move forward. I found a plumber to do the rough in and he's coming by in a couple days to finalize the details.

I have already purchased the vanity, shower pan, and toilet. Today I took several detailed measurements verifying and marking the potential locations of the shower and toilet drains to see if they fall between floor joists...a little tricky as the area in question is an existing closet with carpet. I ended up pulling the carpet back and drilling a couple pilot holes.

Unfortunately, it looks like the shower drain would have landed exactly over a joist, but since the ensuite will be a little over 12 feet wide I have a bit of fudge room. The shower is on an outside wall so I plan to build out the wall a few inches and shift things over. A bonus is that I can now add more insulation to the wall, although for a 5' area the gain will be negligible.

There is also a section of wall in the basement that has to be removed so the main drain line can be installed. Once the plumber approves the layout, I'll get to work.

Woke up with DW and she's worse, she sounds like a dog with a bad cough.

Took her to the walkin clinic, they're doing a chest xray to see if its bronchitis or pneumonia. Not sure what the difference in treatment is.

Place is nuts, people are ignorant talking on their phones in public places. Where's your library voice? I listened to a local realtor disclose a bunch of information her client wouldn't have liked being discussed.

I'm getting sicker by the hour, not having much tolerance for people's nonsense..

Had quite a bit of rain last night and that resulted in an onslaught of worms in the pool so spent a couple of hours dealing with that. I knew pool maintenance could be a pain...but it does take quite a bit of time out of my day to keep it sparkling clean. It will be worth is here in about a month.... (at least that is what I keep telling myself!)

Had quite a bit of rain last night and that resulted in an onslaught of worms in the pool so spent a couple of hours dealing with that.

Get some goldfish. :D

I had a tooth chip last night so luckily got the dentist to fit me in for a filling this morning. Needed double-dose of numbing, 6 hours later can finally eat something without fear of chewing my lip.
Then when I got home we finally did our taxes.

best day ever! lol...

Got back into the swing of packing and shlepping eBay packages to the post office. Don't want to do pickup b/c my mailman does not come until 6pm, and if he doesn't come at all I lose a day.

My father had some niche collections - scrapbooks of advertising cards from the 1800's, and money from WWII. Decided eBay is the best bet, even though it is not fun.

Last edited:
I finally cleaned out my third bedroom which had turned into a junk room. There are still some odds and ends out that did not fit into a closet but at least you can walk in it. More decluttering will have to wait a month as I am starting my spring travels.

Leave for Zion NP tomorrow and will spend the following weekend at the Durango Bluegrass Meltdown. I was scheduled to go to Zion two weeks ago but got nervous with all the rain and snow this spring. Still nervous about Durango as this city slicker, flatlander cannot handle icy roads.

Last edited:
Had my last day of figure skating for the season. The rink is closing until September.

Replaced the faucet in the kitchen.

Fixed a sprinkler head, went to a meeting to get a volunteer group together for small projects to help a town. I then went hiking for about 4 hours.

... I just came back from Fry's Electronics. I went there to get a new SD memory card for my pocket camera.

The store looked deserted, with much fewer sales staff than used to be there. The shelves were not as fully stocked. When I came to the checkout line, only 1/4 or 1/5 of the cash registers were manned.

I think the world has enough of electronic gizmos, and people run out of things to buy. How many TVs, digital cameras, stereos does each of us have? I will not ask about camcorders, and MP3 players, iPods, etc..., that nobody uses anymore.

That's what happens when people have everything. Even the smartphones only get so far, and there are no new things to wow the public anymore.

I went to Fry's Electronics again today, looking for a carrying pouch for my new Lumix pocket camera. I made the above post on last Friday, but today is Saturday and the store did not have better traffic.

The store used to have a busy aisle for cameras and camcorders, but that business is dead now. Smartphones kill them all. I still like to take travel photos with a pocket camera because it gives a better picture quality.

But back on the electronic market, I wonder what the sales are for various items such as laptops, tablets, etc... Do people all have enough that they don't buy or bother to upgrade anymore? How does the electronic industry make money?

But back on the electronic market, I wonder what the sales are for various items such as laptops, tablets, etc... Do people all have enough that they don't buy or bother to upgrade anymore? How does the electronic industry make money?

When I used to build computers, I bought parts wholesale from a seller in west Houston (Directron). Fry's had a good selection of motherboards, memory, video cards, drives, etc and I used to go there if I just needed one or two components. Fry's computer component business was pretty busy back then (5 - 10 years ago). Last time I was in the store, the section of the store where they sold computer parts was void of people. And the whole store was pretty empty also. :(

Amazing, but things change and Amazon and other online retailers have smashed the brick and mortar stores and Fry's is one of the affected.

Given that it's April, the temperature is a tad over 70°, the sun is shining, the grass is turning green and starting to grow, I figured it was safe to move the snow shovels from the garage and back porch down in the shed. The snow blowers are "summerized" and stored in an unfinished part of the basement. (And yes all fuel is drained.) Hopefully this will not cause a howling blizzard next week.

I also replaced some of those cheap plastic straps that the builder uses to support drain pipes, and that eventually stretch and break, with aluminum straps that will last longer than I do. And I used screws instead of nails to install them.

Did an oil and filter change on the 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe today. Next one at 95,000. No real issues with the car so far and it's had new front brakes and it's on the second set of tires.

Hyundai extended the engine warranty to 120,000 miles as it's one of the ones that had the potential issue with machining debris inside the block from Hyundai's supplier. We had the recall "look see" and this block is free from machining debris.

Hiked into ranch today. A large area got flooded and I know I was fine but walked in to take a look. The road is completely washed away for about 200 feet. Cabin and out building weathered fine. The old cabin is 10 steps from the rivers edge and never had a drop. The old timers know where to place things and they paid attention to detail. Over 50 homes where effected by the flood in 30 mile stretch. The river went out of the it's banks over 3 .5 miles from the river channel. It flooded where it never has flooded before that people knew of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom