What did you do today? 2019 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surfin' the Web now to refresh my memory of how to do herb crusted rack of lamb for dinner. It's for me and my son-in-law. My wife, son, and daughter do not eat lamb, and I am having a more pedestrian dish for them, a steak sitting in a sous vide now.

My children wanted to visit us before we take off on our trip, and I said I would cook dinner. My daughter will bring some side dishes.

... things change and Amazon and other online retailers have smashed the brick and mortar stores and Fry's is one of the affected.

It is true that when I wanted a new and better pocket camera, I did not think of going to Fry's but just surfed the Web for reviews, then ordered it off Amazon.

But even online sellers seem to be desperate for business. They run sales all the time, and electronic gadgets are so cheap and so good now I cannot feel sorry for the manufacturers and sellers.

My PCs are fairly old, but I really do not crave anything newer and faster. They need Microsoft to bring out Win 11 to slow everything down for people to have to upgrade their hardware, but then of course that might just piss people off and they go to Linux or Chromebook.

Hiked into ranch today. A large area got flooded and I know I was fine but walked in to take a look. The road is completely washed away for about 200 feet. Cabin and out building weathered fine. The old cabin is 10 steps from the rivers edge and never had a drop. The old timers know where to place things and they paid attention to detail. Over 50 homes where effected by the flood in 30 mile stretch. The river went out of the it's banks over 3 .5 miles from the river channel. It flooded where it never has flooded before that people knew of.

Where are you? I vaguely recall that you are in Montana, but am not sure.

NW-Bound >>> sound like a great dinner! Yes, Montana on the Yellowstone river.

NW-Bound >>> sound like a great dinner! Yes, Montana on the Yellowstone river.

Darn, it appears that I still have a bit of good memory left.

The dinner was great. For the 1st time, my son-in-law and I could not finish our lamb chops and had left over.

Afterwards, my son had us do a blind taste of 3 bourbon whiskeys. Amazingly, although I am not a whiskey drinker, the 3 of us agreed on the order of what was good. And what was interesting is that the 1st choice was a $120 bottle, and the close 2nd choice was a $30 bottle.

... But even online sellers seem to be desperate for business. They run sales all the time, and electronic gadgets are so cheap and so good now I cannot feel sorry for the manufacturers and sellers...

Meant to say, I could not help feeling sorry for them.

Afterwards, my son had us do a blind taste of 3 bourbon whiskeys. Amazingly, although I am not a whiskey drinker, the 3 of us agreed on the order of what was good. And what was interesting is that the 1st choice was a $120 bottle, and the close 2nd choice was a $30 bottle.

Lol ^
A common expression for having a rich man's taste but a poor man's budget?
Lol

Last night was the annual silent auction and dinner for the Kid's Camp. This was the 5th year. DD puts this on every spring. She starts right after the holidays. I think this is the first year she has not asked me for help in the last weeks before the event so the kinks are getting smoothed out. It was a 60's night to celebrate 50 years of Camp operation. Everyone asked if I pulled the bell bottom cords and paisly shirt out of the back of the closet. :) I had to admit Amazon came to the rescue for me. It was a fun night, but I did not win any bids.

What maker was the $30 bottle?

What maker was the $30 bottle?

It's Maker's Mark, my son's favorite even before this blind test (his sister poured the drinks out of view).

The $120 bottle was his home-warming gift from his cousin. It's a special edition from a distiller who also sells $30-40 bottles.

The bottle that was a far bottom by consensus was a $40 bottle that my son decided to try, and opened for this test.

Note that I am a cognac drinker, and do not drink whiskey habitually. And the test was done as an after-dinner drink, after we had a lot of other booze during the meal.

Last edited:
Spring runoff....basically just across the road from Chez Nous...we went for a morning loop...later this arvo we'll go in the other direction.

2lu9h0j.jpg

f0ax6t.jpg

I am embarrassed to say that DW & I got in the kayaks for a nice paddle/nature watch for the first time in 2019. We will do a LOT better after 30-April, when I jump in the pool with the rest of y'all.:dance:

Spring runoff....basically just across the road from Chez Nous...we went for a morning loop...later this arvo we'll go in the other direction.

2lu9h0j.jpg

f0ax6t.jpg

Yup, I recognize the Moira River in spring; hopefully no flooding this year. Grew up not far from there.

Yup, I recognize the Moira River in spring; hopefully no flooding this year. Grew up not far from there.

We've been here 10 years as of this August 1st - DW is from Kingston, and I used to come here periodically in the mid 1970s for 2 or 3 day courses at Nortel.

Here are a couple of afternoon shots, north of College St.

20f5k0n.jpg

zmh2mh.jpg

Veterans Memorial Bridge in the background.

Just back from an overnight photo tour of White Pocket in Vermillion Cliffs National Monument, AZ.

I am embarrassed to say that DW & I got in the kayaks for a nice paddle/nature watch for the first time in 2019. We will do a LOT better after 30-April, when I jump in the pool with the rest of y'all.:dance:

Don't be embarrassed! The first paddle of the year is always a good thing, no matter when it is. Hopefully I can get my 2019 maiden voyage done in the next few days.

Went to church this morning. I sang solo on this piece by Kari Jobe - as written (i.e - at the very top of my vocal range).

Worked in my garden all afternoon. Planted peas, potatoes, swiss chard, beets. carrots. Transplanted artichokes, broccoli and brussels sprouts that I started from seed last month.

^ a beautiful song and you must be very talented person.

Got to Zion NP in late afternoon. Got a photograph of six Desert Bighorn Sheep on the side of the road climbing on the rocks. Also saw lots of deer and what may have been a turkey.

Pruned apple trees in our back yard (mostly on an 8' step ladder), and am feeling it today. It's nice to actually get outside, and do something after 6 months of snow, mud, and wind....only the second day over 65* since October.

Today’s task: Flat on back with foot in air. For excitement raise other foot beside it, switch the CD and read postings here. One more week until the prison escape (cast comes off).

When I checked my phone this AM I saw a front door alert from my Ring Doorbell camera. It didn't wake me as the alert happened at 2:30 AM, when I have notifications set for do not disturb.

Looking at the video from the alert, I couldn't see anyone but could hear some sort of rustling noise. When the sun came up I saw where feral hogs had dug up a dozen or more places like this, doing a number on the wildflower crop in my front yard.

Attachments

• Hogs.jpg
    Hogs.jpg
    392.9 KB · Views: 44
When I checked my phone this AM I saw a front door alert from my Ring Doorbell camera. It didn't wake me as the alert happened at 2:30 AM, when I have notifications set for do not disturb.

Looking at the video from the alert, I couldn't see anyone but could hear some sort of rustling noise. When the sun came up I saw where feral hogs had dug up a dozen or more places like this, doing a number on the wildflower crop in my front yard.

Do you have feral hogs on your list of reasons not to move to Texas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom