What did you do today? 2019 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paying the price for having been cheap awhile back.

About a year ago, I replaced the broken fill valve in the powder room toilet. I'm not super handy but I'd done it before and this one was a little harder as there is very little space between the toilet and the wall on the handle side. But I got it done.

Fast forward to our return from our 3-week RV trip. When I walk in the house I immediately see water damage on the foyer wood floor. ....

I don't know if I'd beat myself up too much... sounds like it was fine for almost 12 months and started leaking while you were away?

Two coats of white paint on the trim around the front door to the house, then stand at the kitchen counter for an hour cutting up veggies for the gigunda salad I usually make every week. It barely fits in one of those giant sized Tupperware bowls, the biggest one they sell. Then we'll eat on that for most of the week.

Now my back hurts and I'm going to take it easy sitting here for pretty much the rest of the day, or what's left of it. I took my last Percocet, and have a Dr. appt. tomorrow for some follow up on the back pain and other issues. I am really not liking this getting old crap but I guess it's better than the alternative.

A few days ago, I hiked a mile into the redwood forest with a folding chair, and sat reading a book for five hours.

Of course, this gave me an idea for a scene in a book. The day before trial, the lawyer goes into the forest to read and falls asleep. When he wakes up it's dark. He's stuck there until morning.

Spent most morning in the outdoors enjoying the start of fall. Walked the creek to check on minnow traps. We have had a lot of rain and was worried the traps would be washed away but they weren't. Will move grass later this afternoon still to much dew yet at lunch time.

2 hour bike ride on the local trail with DW. Wonderful weather, sunny and 70 with bluebird sky. Road straight out of the garage, no dragging bikes around. Grilled fish on the deck after. Finishing with a decent Merlot. Life is great!

Did some woodworking, then packed for our vacation to Minnesota. Taking 7 vacations this year!

Hiked Moraine Lake, Banff National Park

Attachments

• 3720F665-4B41-40B5-A859-C140A067D524.jpg
    3720F665-4B41-40B5-A859-C140A067D524.jpg
    648.6 KB · Views: 51
Just paid the plumber to replace a bathroom faucet. Looked in on him laying on his back hooking up the lines, and just smiled.
Worth every penny :D

We just spent a week in Branson (freebie for sitting through a time share sales pitch), left yesterday and stayed in Sioux Falls for the night, got to Lead SD for a few days in the Black Hills.

We were in Lead earlier today. Currently spending the night in Deadwood.
We just spent a week in Branson (freebie for sitting through a time share sales pitch), left yesterday and stayed in Sioux Falls for the night, got to Lead SD for a few days in the Black Hills.

Discovered my big new batch of padded flat rate envelopes has bubble wrap that could be torn out, making shipping some things easier. Then I threw out my back and spent 2-1/2 hours in bed wondering how I'd even call 911 if I needed them. I'm surprised I made it out of bed as easily as I did considering the intensity of the pain when I moved certain ways. I'm taking advantage of the trekking pole that I bought for such times.

Leaving for vacation...to Minnesota to attend Raiders at Vikings game Sunday....with a stop in craft beer Mecca Madison WI along the way.

I finally gave in and applied for a Chase Sapphire Preferred card. The reason is that I find myself renting cars while traveling more often than I used to.

They couldn't approve me of course, because my credit is frozen, so when they told me which agency they use (Equifax) I went there to temporarily unfreeze it.

Much to my surprise, Equifax had no interest in my old PIN that I got when I froze it, and made me sign up for a new Equifax account. But once I did, they immediately found my freeze and I was able to lift it for a day.

So apparently Equifax has done a major makeover of their systems, apparently in response to their big breach a while back.

:smitten:
spending the day with DD, SIL, and new Grandbaby!

Not sure if this is pet peeve or blow your dough...

One low tire due to small piece of metal. Costco wouldn’t repair, since it was “too near the sidewall”, in this case barely outside the limit set by the “Rubber Manufacturers of America” (no conflict of interest there...).

Replaced all four, sacrificing likely 20k of tread in order to have four identical tires. Does ride better/quieter though.

Today I split wood with my splitting ax. Really out of breath. Too old?

This is a good lesson.

I got seriously out of breath (I don't think I'd call it "shortness" of breath, just breathing hard). That night I was about as tired as I've ever been.

I concluded that I was getting too old to split firewood.

But I, Mr. Correlation-is-not-causation, was fooled. Over the evening I had some gas pains, but I was better the next day. Two days later, I split a lot of firewood, and felt good. Didn't get out of breath.

My new conclusion was that I was fighting some bug or something that made me out of breath and tired. Today, I split a lot of wood and felt great.

Here is seventeen minutes worth of splitting:

Rz4tYNI.png

And I have a labor-saving way of stacking. I stack the wood neatly at the back and front, then just throw the pieces into the middle of the two stacks.

Last edited:
Long paddle on the Big Lake with DW. Eating dinner at the chicken place. Where did all these people come from?? Must be kids eat free day

Closed the pool, water is to cold for comfort. Changed oil in sn*w blower added fresh gas started it up, runs like a top. Changed oil in my dual fuel generator, connected propane tank and fired it up, runs great. This generator will not see a drop of gasoline unless its total armageddon.

Today we drove to Hot Springs via the Needles Highway and back to Mount Rushmore via Iron Mountain Road. What an exhilarating drive! It started pouring while we were at Rushmore. We're in Rapid City tonight; flying home to Connecticut tomorrow.

Enjoy the rest of your time in the Black Hills. It's a beautiful place.
We're going to Mount Rushmore National Park today, planning on walking around Deadwood tomorrow.

Today we drove to Hot Springs via the Needles Highway and back to Mount Rushmore via Iron Mountain Road. What an exhilarating drive! It started pouring while we were at Rushmore. We're in Rapid City tonight; flying home to Connecticut tomorrow.

Enjoy the rest of your time in the Black Hills. It's a beautiful place.

We found out about the Needles Highway after we got back from Mount Rushmore...darn it, we would have given it a spin. But we have a couple more days here and might head back down.

We got lucky with the rain, it started just after we got back to our lodge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom