What did you do today? 2019 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Busy day... got up early to bring jetski to dealer for winterizing when they opened.... then to club to play 18 holes with friends and a nice lunch, then a bit of shopping and brought truck in for oil change, tire rotation and state inspection. Mowed lawn when I got home... probably the next to last time... then checked in on Mom before dinner with DW.

I baked kumquat muffins. I was a bit leery of the pucker factor but they are yummy.

Went to the hospital for an echocardiogram for follow-up on the afib event last month, then came home and used the pressure washer to clean off half the house. The sunlight was pretty strong on the other side so I'll wait until a convenient morning when it's not in sunlight or an overcast day to do that side.

It did bring down an impressive-looking amount of dirt when I washed the soap off the siding.

DH noticed the rug in front of the kitchen sink was damp a few days ago and "solved" the problem by hanging the rug over a railing to dry (this is why we can't have nice things). I rolled my eyes and investigated under the sink by opening the doors to see small puddles of clean water, and isolated the problem to the pull-down all-in-one faucet hose, which was emitting little spritzes whenever the water was turned on, and dripping down the footing of the sink. Who knows how long that was going on. Thank you Google for leading me to the faucet mfr's YouTube video of a nice young woman changing out the hose, using only a screwdriver, in maybe two minutes. I ordered the part and boom, fixed it just like the video.

I have a quad-core desktop used to host development tools for the ST ARM chips, that I used in the DIY BMS (Battery Management System) for the lithium batteries in my RV. Ever since I rushed to finish the BMS prior to the RV trip to Alaska last year, I have not touched the software again.

In preparation to get back into the mood to do more work for the home solar battery, I decided to upgrade the desktop to an SSD for a bit more speed. I have done Win 10 migration from HD to SSD before, but this time ran across some weird glitches that took 2 days to resolve.

Then, once I had it working, decided to update Win 10 to version 1903, so that if it did not work, I still had the HD to revert to. That and another glitch cost me 1/2 day.

Seems to be working now. I went gunho and installed some new-and-improved compilers for the ARM chips.

I got to get back in the groove, and also start doing IoT thinggy with my home solar system. And I will have to write an app to run on my Android phone to be able to monitor what's going on with the solar storage system without having to go back to the shed to take a look 3 times a day.

So much work, and not getting paid for any of it...

So much work, and not getting paid for any of it...

:2funny: :ROFLMAO: That is what I was thinking while reading your post! :LOL: Sounds exhausting! Well, as long as it is fun, why not. :)

As for me, yesterday F drove me to PT, since it is too soon after my total knee replacement surgery for me to drive yet. After an unusually vigorous hour long PT session ("Seriously? :eek: You want me to do *what* using only my surgical knee with no help from the other knee?"), I was amazed to discover that my knee is rapidly getting stronger, that I could do things I couldn't even begin to do at the last PT session, and that even after that grueling workout I still had lots of energy. I think this new energy is a sign of recovery. It is wonderful to have my stamina back.

Anyway, after PT we briskly walked from the PT facility to the car a few hundred feet away, and F said I was walking faster than he was. :dance: Then since I *still* had energy we went out to lunch, and afterwards went on a pleasure drive around New Orleans, chatting and having such fun the whole time.

All of this (except PT) is part of returning to our normal, happy retired life and routines so it made me very happy. Then we returned home, and I rested and iced my knee while we continued to chat about everything under the sun. It was a pretty terrific day, as days go during knee surgery recovery.

Spent the last week waterproofing and replacing the underlayment in a water-damaged bathroom floor. Not done yet.
Today, helped DW set up her booth at the Evergreen Quilters quilt show where she is the Featured Artist this time.
I may send a photo of I figure out how.

We went horseback riding in the Black Hills...lots of elevation changes and lots of great scenery.

Phone call with the descendant of a common relative from the 1870s. Went to a support group mtg. Had delish homemade turkey tostados for dinner. Watched pre-season hockey.

Started somewhat early (for me) and finished washing the siding on the house, on the sides that don't get sunlight in the morning. DW is pleased with the appearance of things, with the painting we had done, the painting I did, and the washing of the exterior.

Then changed the oil on the pressure washer (it's new and this was the first oil change) ran some anti-freeze through the pump, drained the fuel system including the carburetor bowl, and put it away in the shed.

The plan for the rest of today is to test whether gravity will keep me planted in this chair.

Felled and bucked up about 15 or so dead dogwoods again today. It is small diameter, so some small percentage (15-20%) are eligible for splitting, but it all makes great firewood.

We drove about 1200 kms home from the Black Hills yesterday. Several construction delays added more than an hour to the drive.

Did you bump into Rocky Raccoon while there?

I just missed him...but the car behind me didn't :(

We also had a few very close calls with deer and pronghorn antelope...I had to slam on the brakes 3 times.

Today's colorfest here. Hot air balloons all over. The two horizontal pink ones look oddly familiar. Many of the pilots attempted to tickle the river with their baskets. The pilot of the "left one" didn't tickle, she dropped hard and was stuck for several minutes in the river.

On the way home we picked up a script at Walmart and got a flu shot. Much to our surprise they had shingrix in stock. One in each arm. 20190921_081852.jpeg20190921_083821.jpeg

Last edited:
Got pulled over by the local LEO lights and sirns acrivated. Supposedly I was doing 52 in a 40 which I found very very hard to believe. It was 11:35pm way beyond when I usually drive and I am purely guessing I was outside the profile he was expecting because he came back with my ID and sinply told me to slow down.

I took my kid to an elementary school fundraiser filled with bouncy castles, face painting, potato sack races, cotton candy, lemonade, hot dogs and hamburgers

Checked out the neighborhood garage sales while walking the dog this morning - no luck on any flooring for the closet. Then dog and I went to the farmers' market as we do most Saturdays - got okra, melons, shiitake mushrooms, several varieties of squash, sweet potatoes, Italian sweet peppers, and a whole branzino (we have an awesome market with fresh seafood, cheeses, beef, pork, and poultry).

Hauled months worth of newspapers to the bins at the elementary school for recycling (they actually get money for it). Sent a card to a friend and miscellaneous mail to DS (he uses us as his permanent address while in grad school). Read several magazines that came while we were on the trip - almost caught up.

Dinner will be steamed whole branzino Chinese-style (ginger, scallions, garlic, etc) and sautéed shiitakes with bok choy. Will watch some football and the NASCAR race.

Blower motor on the hvac stopped during the night. Changed the filter, tried a reset, called the guy. At first it looked like the capacitor was out (which I hoped) but then no power to the actuator after he tried one he had in his truck. Apparently needs a new board. I think it’s right about 30 years old. So, looking at about a grand for a new board and capacitor, or $2600 for a new furnace, or $6k for all new including condensing unit. Guess I’ll be doing some research. At least it’s going to be fairly mild weather while we sort this out.

Got pulled over by the local LEO lights and sirns acrivated. Supposedly I was doing 52 in a 40 which I found very very hard to believe. It was 11:35pm way beyond when I usually drive and I am purely guessing I was outside the profile he was expecting because he came back with my ID and sinply told me to slow down.

Cop was trolling for drunks. They freely lie when they pull people over for questionable cause. I used to drive home from w*rk after midnight and got stopped regularly, about once every other month. They claimed repeatedly that I was speeding but I never got a ticket.

Checked out the neighborhood garage sales while walking the dog this morning - no luck on any flooring for the closet. ...........
Do you have a Habitat ReStore near you? My local one has a lot of flooring remnants.

Blower motor on the hvac stopped during the night. Changed the filter, tried a reset, called the guy. At first it looked like the capacitor was out (which I hoped) but then no power to the actuator after he tried one he had in his truck. Apparently needs a new board. I think it’s right about 30 years old. So, looking at about a grand for a new board and capacitor, or $2600 for a new furnace, or $6k for all new including condensing unit. Guess I’ll be doing some research. At least it’s going to be fairly mild weather while we sort this out.

Glad to hear the weather will be mild - that's not when we usually find out about these things.

Putzing around this morning, while listening to the Acoustic Storm with Audrey Parets Acoustic Storm :: The Best Variety of Acoustic-Rock (out of N.C. this time I believe) on the 'puter.

She played (Stuck in) Lodi by CCR, and for perhaps the 10,000th time I recalled, circa 1998, driving around Lodi with my late wife in our Pleasure Way trying to find a postcard to send to my oldest friend......never did find one, and the (bookstores, etc), we looked in didn't seem to grasp why I might want one.

Well...I guess it was released 50 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom