What did you do today? 2019 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^ I did not know about the above song by CCR, just listened to it and found the beat similar to that of the song "Proud Mary". I listened to the latter and "Up Around the Bend" in my teenage years.

A morning ritual I have is to go back to the backyard shed to check on the solar battery status, while my coffee is dripping.

For the 2nd morning in a row, the battery still has juice after running the mini-split AC overnight. The weather has cooled, and the temperature is down to the high 70s in the early morning, while the 24-hour average temperature is "only" 85F. The mini-split does not have to work as hard.

There's now plenty of juice left after the minisplit to keep the main fridge going. And yesterday, in the late afternoon, the battery was full and one of the solar charge controllers cut back and went to sleep.

Today, I will try to rewire the water heater back on the solar electric circuit. I had a secondary water heater wired as a dump load for the solar when the battery got full, but it developed a leak, was removed and not replaced. I need to wire an autotransfer switch for the remaining sole water heater.

PS. The easiest way was to leave the upper heating element wired up to the grid, while the lower element is rewired to the off-grid solar power. No transfer switch is needed, and it works better this way too. There's always hot water with the upper element as the backup, while there's 2/3 of the tank for the solar power to heat up during the day.

The above may not work for a big family, but should be fine for us. Will see if we run out of hot water with this arrangement.

Last edited:
Came back from a week long cruise in the Caribbean. Didn't know that the DGF liked the Vitality Spa so much. lol

Went to GF's ball team windup last night appropriately titled "Rib Fest" as they used leftover team money to buy several racks of ribs. 6 different people made ribs and I tried them all :cool: thank goodness for Zantac. :LOL:

Today I had someone come over to give me an estimate to mud some drywall...I can mud but it's a big job and I'm only average at it and it would take me forever. I've saved thousands by doing almost all the work so far so I don't mind paying for this.

Today I had someone come over to give me an estimate to mud some drywall...I can mud but it's a big job and I'm only average at it and it would take me forever. I've saved thousands by doing almost all the work so far so I don't mind paying for this.

I am working on the electrical in my house. Shortly after will come dry wall. I am leaning toward having it done. Those guys can do in a day what would take me a month.

It was 36 this morning with frost on the windshield. I have outside wiring that I need to get done before it turns cold. I am going to run a 30 amp line from my temp panel to the generator inlet and run my service panels that way for this winter. The ground will be frozen when I am ready to go to the service power so that will wait until the spring.

On a totally different note, I am happy to report that I will be a grandpa for the first time next spring! I am looking forward to the new member of the family. :) l am praying that all goes smoothly for this momentous event.

I am working on the electrical in my house. Shortly after will come dry wall. I am leaning toward having it done. Those guys can do in a day what would take me a month.

If it was one room I'd probably do it, but it's 3 bathrooms, 2 bedrooms, 2 closets, and the outside of a furnace/storage room. Other than rough in plumbing I've done everything so far...demo, framing, electrical, insulation, and re-cementing the basement floor after the rough in plumbing. We are painting after the mudding then I have some doors to hang, flooring to install, then casing and baseboards. It's a lot of work but the savings are worth it.

On a totally different note, I am happy to report that I will be a grandpa for the first time next spring! I am looking forward to the new member of the family. :) l am praying that all goes smoothly for this momentous event.

Congratulations!!

Today's colorfest here. Hot air balloons all over. The two horizontal pink ones look oddly familiar. Many of the pilots attempted to tickle the river with their baskets. The pilot of the "left one" didn't tickle, she dropped hard and was stuck for several minutes in the river.

On the way home we picked up a script at Walmart and got a flu shot. Much to our surprise they had shingrix in stock. One in each arm. View attachment 32665View attachment 32666

Both shots on the same day, that's pretty brave..how's that feeling..

Easily the most pleasant weekend we've had in a very long while. Punkin patching with the grand babies yesterday and a very nice ride in the mountains on our mules today. Youngest mule has been quite the firecracker and challenge most of this year.

Haven't done anything yet......dental checkup at 08:30......but, preparing breakfast, with the radio playing in the background, I thought the News Announcer said "Jackass Sports next".

Then I figured maybe I'd misheard, and it was "Jack has Sports next".

Then...after listening.....I wasn't sure...

I'm drinking black coffee this morning getting ready for my colonoscopy prep.

I'm looking forward to the procedure. I had one at the beginning of 2017; the doctor who performed the procedure said the prep wasn't good and I needed it redone in 6 months. Unfortunately he left the practice before 6 months. My then PCP said 10 years for a repeat after she received his notes. When I protested because my sister had colon cancer she replied 5 years. I said I wasn't comfortable and she said 3 years.

I finally changed PCP's and the doc from 2017 is redoing the procedure. Hopefully a couple years of nonsense and horrible medical care didn't matter.

Many of the pilots attempted to tickle the river with their baskets.

So it's intentional? Like, "Hold my beer and watch me almost crash in the river."

So it's intentional? Like, "Hold my beer and watch me almost crash in the river."
+1

Seems to be a popular thing with balloonists. We rented one about 20 years ago in MO. That pilot was tickling the tops of corn fields and timber. She would be at corn altitude and hit the burner at the end of the field to raise up for the fence row. I managed to pick oak leaves from trees. Cows, deer, and turkeys were not amused by us.

It's been over 6 years since I ER'd. This Monday morning, I got up and as usual made and enjoyed my coffee then I sat down at my laptop to reconcile my bank account. Even reconciling the bank accounts is so much fun. Totally leisurely pace. ER is so awesome. I love ER more each day. It's been every bit as amazing or more amazing than I ever expected. It was so worth the wait to have the proper portfolio saved up before ERing.

I would like to thank many here who had helped me directly or indirectly to achieve my ER goal. Some of you gave me words of encouragement when I was counting down. Others helped by just writing about "What you do..." etc. What a wonderful Forum we have here.

Have a great day Everyone.

I washed the vinyl siding around my front entryway. Tomorrow (or next time if I don't go birding tomorrow) I will attempt the old screen door, which is on the list for replacement because it is very "used" and hard to clean. ER is allowing my time to stop overlooking things I long overlooked when working - and to work on them at whatever pace I please.

Seems to be a popular thing with balloonists. We rented one about 20 years ago in MO. That pilot was tickling the tops of corn fields and timber. She would be at corn altitude and hit the burner at the end of the field to raise up for the fence row. I managed to pick oak leaves from trees. Cows, deer, and turkeys were not amused by us.

Took a balloon ride just outside Toronto in the early 1970s......recall that horses would run in circles when spotting the balloon's shadow, cows would tilt their heads up as far as they could go, dogs would bark, and cats would hightail it off farmhouse porches and into bushes.

Annual Derm appt., nothing new or needing removal this year! DF had melanoma, so I am cautious.

Annual Derm appt., nothing new or needing removal this year! DF had melanoma, so I am cautious.

A wise decision to be cautious. I've had two surgeries for melanoma, fortunately both caught very early so it turned out to be more of an inconvenience than anything else. But it sure does get one's undivided attention!:eek:

Gym day today, then stop on the way home and spent $294.35 at the Sherwin-Williams paint store for 11 gallons of paint. And that was with a substantial discount!

Maybe I'm being overly ambitious but the aim is to paint the master bedroom, walk in closet, and master bathroom over the winter. So further posts on this thread will be along the lines of

"Painted the bedroom ceiling."

"Painted the west bedroom wall."

"Painted the north bedroom wall."

"Took the day off and watched paint dry."

And so on....

DW and I had our yearly derm appts today also. All clear for me. DW has something sent to the lab.

Lots of folks in the waiting room with bandages on their faces. Definitely smart to have checkups at least annually.

Last edited:
Band practice tonight...the band rehearses in my basement so I spent half the day cleaning up due to my ongoing reno and now I just found out that I had missed an email from a couple weeks ago with new songs, so now I'm scrambling to learn 5 new songs for tonight. :LOL:

Big day today! Our new couches arrived, and DW very happy with them. I had a little struggle screwing in the legs, as the holes were covered with the fabric.
The to top it off, the new corner table arrived- unassembled:( Had to put all 6 sides together with various handles, brackets, etc. But, it looks really nice.
Now DW just ordered a lamp for the table. I hope the assembly will be easier.

Big day for me too. Colonoscopy number 2 in 2.5 years, no polyp or cancer issues this time! I have some other issues he thinks may be allergy related but we'll see where to go in a couple weeks. Great thing is DW transferred her care over there while she waited.

On my to do list is finding some better replies to "how did the prep go?". Something classy with subtle humor has to be better than facts.

Had a nice lunch at a Mexican place and am watching DW nap. I think she was pretty worried about me.

Clean as a whistle inside and out. Now, if only that dirty mind would behave as well.

Big day for me too. Colonoscopy number 2 in 2.5 years, no polyp or cancer issues this time! I have some other issues he thinks may be allergy related but we'll see where to go in a couple weeks. Great thing is DW transferred her care over there while she waited.

On my to do list is finding some better replies to "how did the prep go?". Something classy with subtle humor has to be better than facts.

Had a nice lunch at a Mexican place and am watching DW nap. I think she was pretty worried about me.

Oh, it went alright! Then it went some more...

Today must be the day for fun medical procedures. Mine was the abdominal aneurysm screening that is encouraged for ex-smokers over 65. The good news is that I don't have an aneurysm.

I'll grant that the prep is a lot easier - just don't eat or drink anything for six hours beforehand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom