What did you do today? 2019 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Water heater sprung a leak last night. Could have called a plumber to fix it since I was supposed to have a meeting with DW, MIL, SIL, and elder care lawyer today. Then I thought - Maybe I should skip the meeting and fix the water heater myself. After all, fixing a water heater is more tolerable than meeting with a lawyer. Not to mention the $ I would save fixing it myself. So I bought a new water heater, installed it, and brought the old one out to the street. Then I cut the grass. And DW, SIL and MIL handled the lawyer meeting and all went well.

Last edited:
I did my annual flush of the on-demand water heater—I always put it off.

I edited the instructions to fix errors and make it appropriate for my setup.

eWfg6Pe.png

Since DW is planning on a major remodel upstairs we decided to just repair the existing hvac. Hopefully with the new control board it’ll limp along for a year or two and then we’ll have a new system installed as part of the overall gut job on this house.

We are going to see a movie called “The Peanut Butter Falcon”. Then tonight I’m meeting up yakking with a group of friends. DH gets alone time.

Went to the dentist for an estimate. Tooth #24 broke off. Cheapest suggestion was root canal, rod, and crown.
Growing old is expensive.

Finally got my camping trailer carport installed. I was going to buy a kit from Home Depot and install it myself but I found a company that delivers and installs one for less than the Home Depot kit price. And, I got to customize the dimensions by making it one foot taller than normal to clear the air conditioner on my camper. The installers showed up a half hour later than their promised 4 hour window, then were really PO'd that the carport was to be at the back of my 1.25 acre lot, which meant they had to hand carry about 600 pounds of metal to the back of my lot. In the end it worked out. It looks similar to this:

Attachments

• carport.jpg
    carport.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 59
I'm currently in the middle of cleaning my small barn (40x60) to build my shop in. I have a 2 post lift going up, just got my 220 air compressor running, and will be putting up walls to enclose a 15x40 area for a workbench, and power tools to work on new project tractors, and cars.

Got a good picture from our front door on Monday.

Three guesses what the weather had just finished doing. (first two don't count).

:D

Attachments

• IMG_20190923_170431y.jpg
    IMG_20190923_170431y.jpg
    911.3 KB · Views: 59
Got the flu shot.
Got on the waiting list for shingrix.

While at the local Goodwill store today, I found a college catalog (you remember college catalogs) from the U.S. Naval Academy for 1978-79. It was the year after I started, so all the pictures of Plebes (freshmen) are my classmates. It has been fun to leaf through and identify them. Holy smokes, we were so young!

Had my 2.4 premolar extracted yesterday and an implant screw put in. Somehow managed to crack the tooth and it got achy. So thankful for modern dentistry!

The local 5k was cancelled this morning after 7.9” of rain last night. Too bad - running through knee deep water would have been fun. So I went back home and ran my own 5k. Then a pulled pork lunch and squeegeed a little flood water out of MIL’s basement storage space.

Loaded two little dogs in the back seat of DWs new Rubicon and took off toward some Forest Service roads. We had no real idea of where we were going. I kinda wanted to take her back to an interesting place I'd found before but that didn't happen.

Instead we followed a particular road, at least the GPS said it was the same road. We passed a group of cowboys going off on horseback as we started down this big hill. Suddenly the road changed and I needed to use 4wd. The road wasn't maintained ever, part road part creekbed, with huge mounds and drops. It was awesome! A perfect place to try out some of the new features. Four low in this jeep is perfect, our Sahara had a higher rear end ratio and it was difficult to crawl especially downhill. I managed to try out disconnecting the sway bar and locking both back and front differentials in. Great trip and we both learned a lot. The dogs slept.

About 90 minutes and five miles down this road we passed a couple four wheelers and to my surprise a Volkswagen Jetta was parked there! Three kids had apparently come in from the other direction, as there was no was it came down that "road" in one piece. They were visiting and drove up there to get stoned! We startled them.and they took off in the lead. They beat the crap out of that car on flat places and tried to crawl on the rough places.

Brought the dogs home and went out to lunch. I need a nap.

The local 5k was cancelled this morning after 7.9” of rain last night. Too bad - running through knee deep water would have been fun. So I went back home and ran my own 5k. Then a pulled pork lunch and squeegeed a little flood water out of MIL’s basement storage space.

Wow, I saw it raining heavily in KC last night when the called the Twins game. Sure glad we didn't get 8 inches two week before soybean harvest starts.

Today, we had PorchFest in my town, which consists of a variety of musical groups playing on front porches all around town. We hosted an excellent group who played a bunch of original music and a couple of covers (my personal favorite - "Waiting for my Man" by Lou Reed and Velvet Underground.) It was a great community event and we got to see and talk to many of our neighbors. It was the first time my town has done it and I think it was a success. I'm looking forward to hosting again next year.

Today, we had PorchFest in my town.

We were looking forward to it this year, (usually we're away), then it rained. But, we could still hear some from our place, with the window open.

We started moving into our new (used) house. Been pretty much a little sleep last week with seller's negotiations, etc. Suspect Seller's realtor was a two faced Bi### who withheld info from them.

Beautiful, sunny day to be hauling stuff out of a mini storage--only 97 degrees all upcoming week. Don't know if my blood sugar dropped or if I was a little dehydrated, but I didn't feel very good.

We off and left my utility trailer at the new house--65 miles away. Tomorrow will be a light load of dining room items--china & crystal.

Earlier in the week, my daughter said they wanted to have dinner with us on Saturday, and she would bring some baked balsamic chicken. I remembered still having some lamb loin in the freezer, and said my son-in-law and I will be having the lamb, although we would still want to sample her chicken.

Till another 1/2 hour to dinner. The lamb has been browned, and covered in a mustard sauce, and is being finished in the oven. I do something different this time, and make a reduced balsamic sauce to sprinkle on at the end.

It's going to be so good. Life is wonderful. Afterwards, we will play a game, while talking about the upcoming Hawaii trip.

Returned home today from a 3-week RV trip to the mountains and learned two sadly related facts:

1. We weren't gone long enough for the heat to break and temps remain in the mid-90's.
2. Our central air quit working. :p

My ongoing renovation is moving along. I spent the day framing the last closet and hanging the last few odds and ends of drywall. It took 4 months to get this far but I was interrupted by a couple trips and some other projects...and took some time to enjoy the summer ;)

The mudder is coming tomorrow and when he's done we'll paint, then I'll lay some flooring and install a few doors.

DW and I went to see Carol Burnett last night. It was fun.

Building a wedding arch, and several other wood projects (pallet wood cross, several direction signs) for my daughter's upcoming wedding.

Loaded two little dogs in the back seat of DWs new Rubicon and took off toward some Forest Service roads. We had no real idea of where we were going. I kinda wanted to take her back to an interesting place I'd found before but that didn't happen.

Instead we followed a particular road, at least the GPS said it was the same road. We passed a group of cowboys going off on horseback as we started down this big hill. Suddenly the road changed and I needed to use 4wd. The road wasn't maintained ever, part road part creekbed, with huge mounds and drops. It was awesome! A perfect place to try out some of the new features. Four low in this jeep is perfect, our Sahara had a higher rear end ratio and it was difficult to crawl especially downhill. I managed to try out disconnecting the sway bar and locking both back and front differentials in. Great trip and we both learned a lot. The dogs slept.

About 90 minutes and five miles down this road we passed a couple four wheelers and to my surprise a Volkswagen Jetta was parked there! Three kids had apparently come in from the other direction, as there was no was it came down that "road" in one piece. They were visiting and drove up there to get stoned! We startled them.and they took off in the lead. They beat the crap out of that car on flat places and tried to crawl on the rough places.

Brought the dogs home and went out to lunch. I need a nap.
I too enjoy 4-wheeling in my Rubicon. The sway bar disconnect died at about 20,000 miles, but I do OK without it. I want to put a manual one in. Be careful with the front lockers. My Jeep tends to plow straight ahead when you try to turn with the front lockers engaged. They work fine climbing a steep straight grade.

A few day ago, kayaked the Big Lake. Absolutely beautiful, blue sky with wispy clouds. The lake was virtually deserted.

It was the only day we could get out this week. It was either raining, too hot, or too stormy, the story of our entire 3 month summer here. We certainly couldn't have done this while w*rking. We love the flexibility!

After paddling, we joined friends for dinner at the Expensive Steak Restaurant. Company was fabulous. Food was just decent, a little bland. Much prefer our mom & pop ethnic places.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom