What did you do today? 2019 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also glad to hear the good news, AJA!

Got most of the Thanksgiving goodies ready to go and truck all packed up. Will be heading down to the in-laws here shortly to beat the traffic and rain (hopefully). I am looking forward to a little family time...it's been too long!

Since we will be leaving shortly and I will most likely not be online for a few days...HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE in ER land!

Also glad to hear the good news, AJA!

Got most of the Thanksgiving goodies ready to go and truck all packed up. Will be heading down to the in-laws here shortly to beat the traffic and rain (hopefully). I am looking forward to a little family time...it's been too long!

Since we will be leaving shortly and I will most likely not be online for a few days...HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE in ER land!

Thanks FlyBoy, have a safe trip. Lots of nut cases on the road over the holiday!

^^^ Saying on a Get Well card from a friend of mine after I had my second hip replacement - "Don't let the Old Man in..."

But, but, but, did the Old Man ever leave? :confused:

Anyway, went to Total Wine for a booze refill. Lots of shoppers. Last night, we made a quick dash to Costco at 1/2 hour before closing. There were still a lot of shoppers.

It's good to see people in good spirits, even though we try to not venture out in the crazy holiday traffic. Tomorrow, will go to my brother's home which is about 5 miles away for the feast.

Life is good. I am not in pain, nor have any chronic illness. Just old age "stuff" like irregular sleep and the occasional catnap (not regular) during the day. ;) Nothing to complain about, and lots to be thankful for.

But, but, but, did the Old Man ever leave? :confused:

Life is good. I am not in pain, nor have any chronic illness. Just old age "stuff" like irregular sleep and the occasional catnap (not regular) during the day. ;) Nothing to complain about, and lots to be thankful for.

In my group of retired friends, all over 70, we are all pretty active and live by the premise that we aren't about to let the "old man" in our bodies or thought processes. At least in our minds, that is....:D

Day 10 after total hip replacement:

Improvements! :)

1. Still sleeping in the recliner. I'm actually getting to like this! I never was one for a "nap" so I never spent much time in this chair. Last night got 7 hours sleep in it with a "break" at 3:00 AM.

2. Pain levels are pretty much a thing of the past, except slight soreness when walking.

3. Walked the dog at 8:00 AM (with my walker, of course) to the end of the street and back (1/4 mile). He did his "job". ;) Now he thinks I am ready for 5 walks a day (LOL)!

4. DW is clearly getting tired of waiting on me hand and foot. I am getting tired of her being around me too.:blush: So I am going to do more on my own (get coffee, pills, get water, etc).

5. Showering is getting easier and as long as I don't get the incision bandage wet, I can take a decent shower. Great. :dance:

I think I am over the "hump" and in another week will be allowed to drive (after Dr. release).

Wow, sounds like your recovery is going quite nicely! I am so glad to hear that. :D Uninterrupted sleep is hard to accomplish after surgery, or was for me. Showers sure beat sponge baths. :)

As for me, we went to the gym today and I rode the seated elliptical and the Nustep crosstrainer. I guess the terrific appointment with my surgeon spurred me on a bit, because I turned up the intensity for the first time on both machines. We'll see how that goes. Hopefully I didn't over-do! :LOL: The amazing thing was that my surgical knee/leg seemed to be doing at least as well in riding those machines, as the other one, pushed on those pedals just as hard and and bent just as easily too. I am hoping to build up my leg muscles at a sane rate.

I have to admit that going to the gym was such fun for me. Afterwards we went out to lunch, and now I am resting in my recliner and might take a brief nap before dinner. I really don't use my walker any more except first thing in the morning when I am getting my coffee, and half asleep still. Anyway this is my idea of a perfect day in retirement.

Wow, sounds like your recovery is going quite nicely! I am so glad to hear that. :D Uninterrupted sleep is hard to accomplish after surgery, or was for me. Showers sure beat sponge baths. :)

For a "cream puff pansy" like me, the recovery is right on schedule....:LOL:

For a "cream puff pansy" like me, the recovery is right on schedule....:LOL:

I don't think you are a cream puff pansy!! :LOL: Anybody going through a joint replacement while maintaining their sanity and yet not overdoing the opioids, is quite the opposite in my opinion.

This morning I had my first haircut in a year. I had been growing my hair (from scratch!) since finishing chemo last fall, and no one had touched it since. It grew back very curly after chemo, which often happens, but which was a shock nonetheless, and took some getting used to. I screwed up my courage and went to a new stylist, and I like the cut she gave me. I feel as though I look like "myself" again, for the first time in a long time, if that makes any sense.

This afternoon, to reward myself for my incredible bravery above (the women will understand :D) I went to see the movie Knives Out. It was very clever and entertaining. I like a good murder mystery and this one did not disappoint. It's not great cinema or Oscar-level work, but it was a fun way to spend a rainy afternoon.

To round out my completely self-indulgent day, I picked up Italian takeout for dinner on the way home. Life is good! :dance:

I had Thanksgiving dinner for 10 people today. Both of my kids and their families were here. My daughter and her spouse and my three grandchildren are staying until Sunday. So happy to have them with us. I will probably be napping on Sunday.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Safe travels to all who are traveling.

Thankful for a lot of things, but primarily my generator at this moment. Power is out for the 2nd Thanksgiving in recent years. Tv and internet are working fine. Hopefully the power comes on before guests arrive at noon. The generator is a little noisy.

Thankful for a lot of things, but primarily my generator at this moment. Power is out for the 2nd Thanksgiving in recent years. Tv and internet are working fine. Hopefully the power comes on before guests arrive at noon. The generator is a little noisy.
If you have some plywood you can direct the sound away from the house.

DW wanted a laptop at Costco.com that was only on sale today. Costco website was a mess and I spent hours and hours getting error messages and re logging back on. I finally succeeded in placing the order at about 8PM only to discover that I had somehow been successful earlier in the day and now had two on order. :facepalm:

Back into the mess for another half hour to cancel order #2. DW was appreciative, though, so I get a few martyr points. :angel:

Went to our Son’s house for Thanksgiving. DIL is nothing short of a gourmet chef. Great meal. Lots of hugs and smiles with grandkids. One very fine day!

Big day, after markets close at 1 ringing the bell for SA for a couple hours at the local grocer. I usually lose my voice belting out Ho Ho Ho's and Merry Xmas, but I raise a lot of money and draw a crowd for a good cause. Then it's off to tally up my YTD, add up some Dividends and now that I have TurboTax, do a beta run of my tax returns.

Kiddos are gonna decorate cookies at Grandmas. No shoveling today...but it sounds like more snow tomorrow!

Woke up to fresh snowfall, a few inches. A while later it turned to a mix of rain/snow and little balls of fluff. At this altitude we're surrounded by clouds and really can't see past 100 yards.

Went to the gym with many others. I guess guilt about yesterday was common. After we went to our favorite Mexican place and enjoyed lunch. The drive home was fun, the wind read the forecast and kicked up to the promised 50mph. Really knocked the vehicle around and there was little viability. Our road wasn't plowed and it's getting sloppy. I guess we're just hanging inside this afternoon.

My eye continues to improve, pain in gone and the bubble is shrinking. Most of the restrictions on me have been lifted and the remaining ones go away when the bubble is gone. Goodbye bubble!

Winter has finally arrived in this part of WV. We've had unseasonably warm weather so far but our luck has run out, and we're even forecast some rain/snow mix in a few days. Today was a gym day and I cut the treadmill short because my knee hurt so much even though I had taken some acetaminophen before leaving for the gym. I figured this was one of those times it was wiser to quit than be a damn fool about it. But I do like my heated hoodie that I bought a while back! For a while I had it turned up to the highest heat setting and that was a first there.

DW stayed home because her back is still hurting so much, and next week I start physical therapy too. I'll ask about getting our therapy schedules coordinated, it just seems more efficient that way - one trip there and all that but maybe that's carrying the "togetherness" thing a bit too far.

I made some Egg Nog ice cream in my little Cuisinart ice cream maker. It is usually time consuming to go through all the steps to measure and cook the ingredients, then temper the eggs, etc. before putting it in the freezer but I found an easy way.

I bought some Egg Nog from the local grocery store. It was on a BOGO sale that was $6 for 2 half gallon cartons. I have to make 1/2 the carton at a time before I refreeze the Cuisiart. But each time takes less than a minute to simply pour the Egg Nog into the freezer and turn on the switch. Ice cream that you buy at the grocery store contains variable amount of air but this way I will get more than a gallon of ice cream.

Add a little bourbon or rum and its a Winter Wonderland party. Try to find that at your local grocery.

Cheers!

I cut another truck load of firewood today along with my wife who helped by driving the tractor with the FEL. This makes three 8' long truck loads this week, with possibly another load to be gotten tomorrow before the Ohio State/Xichigan game.

This is about 1/2 of the wood I need for next burning season (starting about October 2020).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom