What did you do today? - 2020 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't do much today. It's DW'S birthday and I watched her sleep. She's been ill for 3 weeks now and it's not really improving.

Not a fun birthday, I hope she starts to get better-- Has she been to the dr?

Made a new discovery. For the first time I looked the left column in the userCP section in some detail.
Near the bottom is a link to attachments. I clicked it. Found it listed all the attachments I made at various times. Interesting.
Then looked closer and discovered numbers next to each attachment, showing the number of downloads. Most fascinating, some were downoladed 0 times, many 30 or so times, one was downloaded 160+ times. Gues that photo is popular.
Never thought of downloading someone's attachments. not likely I will.

In other news, this morning I woke up and knew it. Then went on with the rest of the day.

Made a new discovery. For the first time I looked the left column in the userCP section in some detail.
Near the bottom is a link to attachments. I clicked it. Found it listed all the attachments I made at various times. Interesting.
Then looked closer and discovered numbers next to each attachment, showing the number of downloads. Most fascinating, some were downoladed 0 times, many 30 or so times, one was downloaded 160+ times. Gues that photo is popular.
Never thought of downloading someone's attachments. not likely I will.

In other news, this morning I woke up and knew it. Then went on with the rest of the day.

I just looked, can not believe some of mine are even downloaded once.

No, they just said to isolate. Today is a better day, hopefully she can string a few together.
Not a fun birthday, I hope she starts to get better-- Has she been to the dr?
Today I was up and started working out back in preparation for a guy putting in topsoil and grass seed. I did some fire mitigation work around the house. Raked all the pine straw up from the yard and put it in 12 black plastic garage bags for the HOA to pickup. My back is telling me about this.

He showed up around lunch with a nice load of topsoil and seed. He and his wife spread it around the back yard and some small spring garden areas. Add a little water for a while and we should have some fresh grass.

I had to get some cash to pay him with and went to the bank ATM. The drive though windows were insane. I guess people were paid?

Interesting! I didn't know about that either, and I found that the "most-downloaded" photo that I posted was "invisible.png" a few days ago as a joke. .png files support transparency (useful in watermarks, for example) while .jpg files do not and only show white if there is no image in the file. I'll admit to being puzzled why anyone else would want it though.

Since it's raining off and on all day we didn't do much of anything. I did make another large salad to eat off of for the next week but that's about it.

You never know what will capture the imagination. My most downloaded image is a picture of a toilet on a submarine.

We enjoyed our third weekly online board game session with DD and DS yesterday very much, and were even more pleased when they suggested that we replace our normal weekly phone calls with them individually with a board game session all together.

Ordered some sandals and sneakers online - trying to do my share to help the economy recover :angel:

Today the crew finally came to do the annual fish pond cleaning (postponed for about a month due to the restrictions on non-essential business). Got three phone calls about various volunteer activities - agreed to serve on a search committee to replace a staff person for one, agreed to help out the new chair of a committee with some tasks needed that I've done in previous years and he doesn't have time to do right now, and sorted out a bad editing job on a document that caused a bunch of confusion.

Tonight will be a bit different - my monthly bunco group is meeting via ZOOM just to say hi and catch up since we haven't been together since February.

Still use my old D90 as a backup unit! It has been a GREAT camera for many years, but you will enjoy some of the new "tech" on the newer cameras.
Have fun!

I've been banging my head against the wall for the last day because my trusty old Nikon D90 camera finally died. It has served me extremely well for 11 years but just won't do some simple things any more. Some online research showed that my problem is not uncommon for units about as old as mine, and the Nikon documentation is silent on the error codes. That told me it was probably not fixable. What especially hurt is that I recently bought a couple of new lenses for it.

So DW told me to have a very good beer and then get a new camera.

I ordered a new model Nikon that can use the same excellent lenses I have, so that was good. There will be a bit of a learning curve for the new bells and whistles, but I can handle that.

Then I went into "the archives" and found a 22 oz. bottle of Alaskan Smoked Porter, 2011 vintage. Never had one that old before, but it was absolutely excellent! For the beer geeks in the crowd, the smoky character of this wonderful beer changes all the time, and was still present here, although quite subdued. Still had decent carbonation, and just a delightful experience. Alas, it was the last of my stash so I'll have to head west one of these days to get more.

I didn't know about that page either!

Interestingly, my most downloaded image was just a screenshot showing the performance of a mutual fund. Over 600 people thought it was worth saving, for reasons I can't possibly fathom.

It's a pretty day here in Collin county. I asked DH if he would like to take a ride in the vette with the top down (not my top, the vette's) Besides we needed to run an errand since I was almost out of JD. He said "sure." It went like this......

He changed his clothes.
I changed my clothes.
He went to the bathroom.
I took out my hearing aids.
He put sunscreen on.
I searched for my visor.
He went to the bathroom again.
I put my sunglasses on.
He got our masks.
We put a box in the trunk of the vette for the JD.
Got in the car, almost out of the driveway; he had to go in and get his sunglasses.
Backed out of the driveway again.
A neighbor came out and said,"goin' for a ride?"
We said, "we're tryin'."

A very nice two hour ride and the errand was completed. Whew. :)

Last edited:
I didn't know about that page either!

Interestingly, my most downloaded image was just a screenshot showing the performance of a mutual fund. Over 600 people thought it was worth saving, for reasons I can't possibly fathom.

Same here, no real logic I can see to justify my most downloaded pic.

Makes me wonder about the definition of "downloaded" in this context. Does it mean someone saved the image or does it refer to the act of clicking on the pic to enlarge it for a better view?

My money is on the latter.

Makes me wonder about the definition of "downloaded" in this context. Does it mean someone saved the image or does it refer to the act of clicking on the pic to enlarge it for a better view?

That certainly makes sense, although my second most "downloaded" one was a photo that seemed plenty big enough as it was. Who knows?

It’s the latter for sure.
That certainly makes sense, although my second most "downloaded" one was a photo that seemed plenty big enough as it was. Who knows?
Could be a testament to the declining eyesight of many Forum members.

I've been banging my head against the wall for the last day because my trusty old Nikon D90 camera finally died. It has served me extremely well for 11 years but just won't do some simple things any more. Some online research showed that my problem is not uncommon for units about as old as mine, and the Nikon documentation is silent on the error codes. That told me it was probably not fixable. What especially hurt is that I recently bought a couple of new lenses for it.

So DW told me to have a very good beer and then get a new camera.

I ordered a new model Nikon that can use the same excellent lenses I have, so that was good. There will be a bit of a learning curve for the new bells and whistles, but I can handle that.

Then I went into "the archives" and found a 22 oz. bottle of Alaskan Smoked Porter, 2011 vintage. Never had one that old before, but it was absolutely excellent! For the beer geeks in the crowd, the smoky character of this wonderful beer changes all the time, and was still present here, although quite subdued. Still had decent carbonation, and just a delightful experience. Alas, it was the last of my stash so I'll have to head west one of these days to get more.

What model did you get? Last Nov. I got a D850 and it's awesome. I posted a shot a page back.

What model did you get? Last Nov. I got a D850 and it's awesome. I posted a shot a page back.

I didn't go quite that high end -- D500. Lighter weight, and not that much different in capabilities.

Beautiful sunny afternoon....went for a walk.

Our Amazon 'Leper Handbells', ("Unclean, Unclean"), have not yet arrived, so I carried a cane, and with it held vertically, plus a horizontal forefinger, did the Van Helsing anti-vampire gesture to passersby.

Arrived home without incident........oh, oh...I can't see my shadow!

Last edited:
Shampooed two stuffed chairs, a hall rug, the living room couch, and the living room rug. My back hurts again. I'm taking tomorrow off.

I started reading a old favorite this evening - "The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test" a nonfiction book by Tom Wolfe. I read it originally back in '69 while in grad school at University of Houston. I lived in the Montrose area of Houston and those were wonderful times. I so wish that Texas was like that now. But - sigh - it is nothing more than a memory of the past.

When I finish it I plan on moving on to the Carlos Castaneda Trilogy and explore the Don Juan adventures and that will also bring back old memories. My only experience with "Mescalito" with a fellow student who was an member of the Native American Church. I think it changed my life.

At age 70, I enjoy looking back at the good ole days that shaped my adulthood. :dance:

Peace and Love!

Had to make an emergency trip to get DW an anniversary card, then woodworking and harvested another hiking stick from a downed branch, a bike ride and the first time fishing in the kayak.

Last edited:
Seems my gardening struggles continue during this COVID-19 era. The latest was the completion of adding the new plants in the 7' round shrub bed shared with our neighbor. It also happens to be the location of the above-ground utility boxes/tubes common here in central Texas. Honestly, they're an eyesore.

Picked up the last of the perennials this morning that were ordered online. Got all of them planted and watered. Decided to make a quick trip to pick up a rose shrub that needed to be replaced toward the front of the house. Our landscaper/lawn service decided to put weed block around the previous rose shrub despite my instructions not to do so. When they did, they cracked the shrub at the bud union. I didn't catch this for a couple of weeks. I did mention gardening struggles, didn't I?

When I returned 20 minutes later, Suddenlink had arrived to install the fiber optic cable into the ground for our new next door neighbors. Unfortunately, the above-ground broadband tube is on our side of this 7' shrub bed. Why the house builders can put these things close to the property line is beyond me.

Anyway, I noticed one of the perennials I had just planted an hour earlier had a branch going horizontal to the ground. Yep, the Suddenlink installer had damaged one of four main stalks/branches on that perennial. There was a little bit more plant damage besides that. But what set me off was the trench that was channeled through the shrub bed by the Suddenlink installer preparing to bury the fiber optic cable:

10014-albums261-picture2177.jpg

The fiber optic cable in the photo is in between two of the newly planted perennials. At the top of photo you can see the edge of the above-ground broadband utility tube. And just to the left of the plant on the right is the trench the Suddenlink installer dug during the 20 minutes I was away from the house. This angle doesn't completely show it, but the trench was dug right next to the root ball of the plant on the right. Note that these plants were about 22-24" apart, center to center. AAAARRRGGGH!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom