What did you do today? - 2020 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Daring day considering the state of current hospital er’s. Bought a new extension ladder and a pole saw and climbed the ladder and used the pole saw to cut down dead branches.

Sheesh. Buying a new extension ladder at your age?

Wait! I get it. Not planning on hanging around and taking a chance of getting that dang virus, eh.

Rain last night left the back yard muddy, and the Rottweiler got out and brought mud into the house.

The concrete people will be here tomorrow to finish concreting around our new fiberglass swimming pool.

I'm hoping things will dry up so we can finish grading the yard and get the back yard sodded.

Attachments

• AngryBread.jpg
    AngryBread.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 49
Did anyone else see the angry face first?

LOL!!! The picture is actually rotated 90 degrees to the left so I didn't see it on the original photo, but it shows up on the rotation.

Fortunately it tastes so good that the evil grin is long gone...

I just found out that yesterday was Star Wars Day.

May the 4th (be with you)

:LOL:

Picked up my chainsaw from the repair shop.

Did the Costco senior special. Yup, needed paper again, plenty there (but nowhere else) and no limit either (but we only took 1 ea TP and PT).

But lotsa fruit and veggies, King crab, salmon and halibut. Big jug of Patron for $80, my new fav drink is tequlia & Clamato picante.

And no line either, we walked right in. Mask required.

Spread two yards of mulch in the front yard around the trees and bushes and in the planters on the side of the house. Put up a small birdhouse.

Went to WM to get DW's prescriptions and some advil. :LOL:

Installed UV-C light into return ductwork. Just past AC coils.

I got in some more back yard R/C flying, first with the UMX Turbo Timber that I've flown there before. Almost lost that one, when setting up for a landing I accidentally hit the "motor off" switch instead of the landing flaps switch. Big OOPS! It went down behind some trees, luckily over a creek bed, and when I found the right switch to turn the motor back on full power brought it back up. Pure lucky save. I think maybe I'll move the "motor off" switch to the other side of the transmitter.:facepalm:

The other airplane is a model of the twin-engine Aero Commander, made somewhat famous in the air show circuits by Bob Hoover, a WWI fighter ace who with exemplary control of airspeed did a unique show partially with one engine out and ended the routine dead stick (no power at all). The old aviation saying "The silence was deafening" applied to the end of that show. Unfortunately I never got to see it live.

The model is overpowered compared to the full-size airplane and has more thrust than the airplane weighs so it will climb vertically on the props without limit if you let it. On the plus side, with the power cut those props make great speed brakes so short field landings turn out to be easy. I've had this airplane for almost a year but was afraid to fly it in the back yard because I thought it needed more room, but saw in a youtube video that showed how well it slowed down for landing.

Attachments

• Aero Commander.jpg
    Aero Commander.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 37
The spring wildflowers in my yard (my alternative to grass) have gone to seed (not much rain over the past few weeks) and I started the first mowing of the year today. The [-]weeds[/-] wildflowers are so tall and woody that it requires at least two passes to get a reasonably clean cut. Got about half the job done.

It is a very dusty process, requiring me to wear a mask. :)

Woke up this morning and watched a group of mule deer walking right behind our house, little dog and DW saw them too. I guess DW didn't realize there was more than 1 while I watched a dozen, 4 mature doe and 8 last year's offspring grazing.

Went to get an essential sprinkler and pressure washer hose connectors. Picked up 2 sprinklers and zero pressure washer connectors. Found them on Amazon later. Watered part of a newly seeded area.

DW and I took a walk down to the national forest to a 100' cliff. Nice view with some seasonal creeks running below us.

On the way back up the hill she called out to look. A grey fox was trotting toward us when it stopped. We all admired the other from 100 yards away. I had never seen a grey in the wild and it was a magnificent example of the species.

Today....did yoga this morning on Zoom with my favorite yoga teacher, then did a bit of work. I had happy hour on messenger with two of my GFs and then DH and I had tacos together. It is rainy and cool here, but we had a nice day.

Sheesh. Buying a new extension ladder at your age?

Wait! I get it. Not planning on hanging around and taking a chance of getting that dang virus, eh.

I stupidly sold my old extension ladder last year when I thought we were moving (to a place where I wouldn’t need one.) and I needed one now so I bought one.

But you’re right - I’m not taking a chance with the virus, killer hornets, or whatever else is coming our way. I’ll end up croaking because of my own stupidity.

:facepalm:World biggest face palm. Get a church wide email Monday afternoon announcing the granddaughter of a church member had died. 31 years old with a young son, severe diabetic and diabetic complications were the problem.

I'm friendly with GM serve on several church committees with her. Immediately start messaging expressing my sympathy, sorry for your loss and praying for you type stuff. GM answers back saying how hard it is and what a loss and normal expressions of grief.

One hour ago I get another church email saying, wait she is not dead. They unplugged her Monday and thought she would pass but she didn't and is at home under hospice care and not expected to recover.

So for 48 hours everyone in church thought she had passed away. What do I do now? I can't undo my previous messages and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who sent condolences.

I don't understand how this miscommunication even happened

Went to Home Depot in the very early AM (as in still dark) and bought a new Toro lawn mower, self propelled with electric start. This is mostly for DW, who often gets a "bee in her bonnet" about mowing when the grass is higher than normal between the regular weekly mowing the lawn guy does. Or sometimes just because. We do have a Lawn Boy mower that we bought for use at her father's place ten years ago but it has only one speed and that one is a bit fast for both of us. I could see she was struggling a bit to keep it under control and that's never a good thing with power equipment. The new one has a variable speed feature they call "personal pace" and the reviews are generally very good about it. It seemed to work well in the brief one-minute tryout I was able to give it going from the garage where I put it together to the shed.

Today was rainy most of the day so we didn't get to try it, so tomorrow we'll see. She does like the push button start, which for her is a necessity because she just doesn't have the shoulder strength to start it with the pull cord. I did notice in the reviews that a lot of people buy models with electric start because they have shoulder issues that like her, would otherwise prevent them from using a mower at all.

Planted red beets and dug dandelions and biking riding. Got ready for tomorrow to help a guy frame and our footers and set 4 foot walls for a garage he is installing. It also will need cement floor. Not looking forward to it but I said I would help him. I'm not in bad shape but cement work the whole processes is very demanding on the body. Lol

I will see how I far and will be a 5 day project.

So for 48 hours everyone in church thought she had passed away. What do I do now? I can't undo my previous messages and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who sent condolences.

What an awkward situation. It seems that whoever in the church sent the original e-mail didn't have all of the facts straight, but it was certainly well-intentioned. I expect that GM knows what happened and just doesn't have the energy or interest in straightening out everyone who has contacted her. For now, keep all the family in your prayers and be supportive however you would be if there was a serious illness.

Your church leadership should, IMHO, do an after-action analysis to understand how the miscommunication happened and how to avoid repeats.

She does like the push button start, which for her is a necessity because she just doesn't have the shoulder strength to start it with the pull cord. I did notice in the reviews that a lot of people buy models with electric start because they have shoulder issues that like her, would otherwise prevent them from using a mower at all.

I'm just totally amazed she wants to mow the lawn! I have never operated a power mower in my entire life and have no interest in ever doing it. They've always scared the c**p out of me. Once DH couldn't do it any more, it's been the lawn service for us.

Today was crazy busy compared to most of the last 6 weeks. Walked the dog, ate breakfast, showered, checked in here, ZOOM yoga class, grocery shopping, lunch, checked in here, took DH to an essential but routine doctor visit, weekly online game hour with DD and DS, cooked and ate dinner, acted as secretary for ZOOM church meeting, sent out details for another volunteer gig ZOOM meeting tomorrow, checked in here. Ready for some TV and knitting - and a glass of wine.

Ive been teaching a sixty something year old cancer surviver to grow her own medicine. She bought a grow tent, lights, fans and what not. Today I gave her four plants.

By this evening I must have got 5 texts from her. It seems I'm not he best teacher or she has the memory of a gnat, probably me, lol.

Went to HD after doing some wine work, to get a water heater. Our present 6 year warranty was up 4 years ago, the power vent on the unit has a bearing squealing like a Banshee Indian, and there is no grease zerk to lube. New tank was $1079 plus tax!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF:confused::confused: I used to sell a 40 gallon tank for $149 back in late '70's. Must be lined with gold or titanium now. Installation will begin tomorrow after breakfast.

I'm just totally amazed she wants to mow the lawn! I have never operated a power mower in my entire life and have no interest in ever doing it. They've always scared the c**p out of me. Once DH couldn't do it any more, it's been the lawn service for us.

We have an 93 year old BILLIONAIRE in our neighborhood that still cuts several acres with her Cub Cadet riding mower every week. She is out every week cutting her acreage, and we laugh/chuckle/admire when we see her out weeding with the landscaping crew in her yard. She is a remarkable woman, and was the loving partner of a soft drink bottler who sold the family business a year before he died in 1999. She has donated millions to local schools and hospitals, but you can always see her, cutting her acreage every week. Idle hands and mind are the Devil's workshop, God bless her.

I bought a home that sits on 46 acres in middle Tennessee.
Sight unseen.
During a pandemic.
Driving today to see it. Inspections are Friday. ��

:facepalm:World biggest face palm. Get a church wide email Monday afternoon announcing the granddaughter of a church member had died. 31 years old with a young son, severe diabetic and diabetic complications were the problem.

I'm friendly with GM serve on several church committees with her. Immediately start messaging expressing my sympathy, sorry for your loss and praying for you type stuff. GM answers back saying how hard it is and what a loss and normal expressions of grief.

One hour ago I get another church email saying, wait she is not dead. They unplugged her Monday and thought she would pass but she didn't and is at home under hospice care and not expected to recover.

You aren’t the one who needs to do anything. You sent proper condolences based on incorrect info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom