What did you do today? - 2021 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shok,
I sold my Tr6 ten years ago. This talk is making me want another. I enjoyed working on it more than driving for some silly reason.

I found a beautiful one on line, but they were asking a crazy price for it

Have fun with your MGB. Only had one of those, and it was close to garbage when I got it.

JP
Cut down the Gear Lever on my project MGB and install an anti-rattle damper that some mechanic had really messed up. 4 hours playing with the really oily bits. But all done now and new prop shaft bolts to boot.

I took a walk this morning and a bike ride. Planted some lettuce, beets and one tomato plant someone gave us. It was huge so decided to plant it. We have about 32 tomato plants we started that are 12 to 14 inches tall. Will give over half away and plant the rest this week.
Mowed the yard and fertilized and will start watering.

I borrowed a friend's trailer and picked up a large combination grill that needed a new home. Our current one had lost part of the function just a day or two ago, so the timing was fortuitous.

I took a walk this morning and a bike ride. Planted some lettuce, beets and one tomato plant someone gave us. It was huge so decided to plant it. We have about 32 tomato plants we started that are 12 to 14 inches tall. Will give over half away and plant the rest this week.
Mowed the yard and fertilized and will start watering.
I love that! We (DS, DD, & I) were shielded from a lot of 2020 grocery shortages because we had a decent garden, not a good garden but something that yielded most fruit & 1/2 veggies

In the morning, I spread Grub-Ex on the lawn, then uncovered my fig trees from their winter protection and up-potted my zucchini seedlings. They'll go out to the garden in about 10 days. Went to get a propane tank filled, came home and sharpened some of my straight razors, then helped the neighbor move some big things around in his workshop. The young wife cut my hair. A good day.

Last edited:
Worked on the sea chest that I’m making. Went by a friend’s pole barn construction to see how it’s doing. Went to Menards to get some 2x4’s for a for sale frame I’m making for a friend. The $10.39 price for an 8’ 2x4 made me hold off until I get a confirmation. So I went for ice cream instead.

Worked on the sea chest that I’m making. Went by a friend’s pole barn construction to see how it’s doing. Went to Menards to get some 2x4’s for a for sale frame I’m making for a friend. The $10.39 price for an 8’ 2x4 made me hold off until I get a confirmation. So I went for ice cream instead.
I gave away about a dozen twisted and bent 2x4x16s a few weeks ago. I'm glad I didn't cut them up for fire wood. I would have thought how much those cost today as I burned them. At least the guy that got them is making a shed with them.

It is snowing today. There may be quite a bit of wet, heavy snow when this is done.

^ I want the snow badly!

Going to check minnow traps, will haul some water for some June Berry trees. The crick is dry and the trees are mostly still alive so I will try to keep them that way. Started the pump and watering the yard.
I also will check cameras at the ranch to see if I got any moose pictures on them.

Removed some stuff from cabinet bought by late DW to hold stuff rarely ever used and dropped them off at Goodwill. More to go. AKA downsizing.

DW got a new Apple Watch delivered today and we had a bit of an adventure. Pairing it with her iPhone didn't work, no matter what we tried.

Called Apple and spent about 15 minutes troubleshooting it because the first support rep had to call in a more senior technician to help figure out the problem.

I was very impressed with the support. Almost no time spent on hold, despite it being Monday morning, and the one we spoke with was helpful, friendly, and actually listened to everything we said. He even let us skip over some of the trouble shooting steps when we said we had already tried them.

Yesterday we went to the first family gathering in a bit over a year, an outside picnic/cookout in a state park. The weather, always a bit of a gamble this time of year, was near perfect, sunny and ~85°F. Everyone in attendance has had their shots and no one wore masks. So glad to finally get in a little bit of normalcy and to see everyone. We did get a little sunburned though.

Today was go out to Lowes and get a dehumidifier at DW's insistence for the family room area where the dishwasher was leaking. (It borders the kitchen.) The brand new hardwood floor just installed last August has a few boards warped from the water and we're hoping they'll flatten out as they dry. If not, we have almost a whole box of the same flooring boards in the basement that were left over so if they need replacement at least we won't be scrambling to find them. I'm skeptical that the dehumidifier will do much if anything that the central A/C won't do as far as dehumidification goes since this is an open area with free airflow to almost the entire upper floor. Oh well, happy wife, happy life.... And besides, when this is done the new dehumidifier will supplement the one in the basement, which is getting a bit long in the tooth and likely to quit soon anyway. Having spent the money for the second one, Murphy's Law says that having a spare virtually guarantees that they'll both last forever.

DW was too tuckered out from the picinic to bother with dishwasher-shopping today so that's tomorrow's project. I have of course looked around online but we do want to stop in at one local shop before buying. All other things being even close to equal I'd much rather deal with the local independent store because they're usually better at responding to any issues and they don't have the corporate bureaucracy to deal with regarding installation. They even answer the phone!

Went with DW to Costco this morning to return her hearing aids and purchase a new version. The new and improved version she purchased are rechargeable (she had trouble replacing the tiny batteries) and were $100 less than the pair she returned. The returned HAs were still in Costco's 180 day trial period so we got a full refund.

I was surprised to learn the new HAs also have a 180 trial period - the clock starts over again at zero even though she was ~ 150 days into her trial period on the pair she returned. Gotta love Costco...

Changed the Gearbox oil, replaced the front brake pads, then bled the front brakes on my project car. Unlike most of you that are loafing around.... Just kidding.

Last edited:
took care of DGS this morning , paid bills this afternoon.
Thats about it so far, but 18 month olds can wear you out!

Started running again with a 3 mile run/walk. Registered for a hand tool woodworking class and bought some hand tools. Got an email that the camera I want is on sale, so I bought it. And sold 2 cameras to a buy/sell/trade company.

took care of DGS this morning , paid bills this afternoon.
Thats about it so far, but 18 month olds can wear you out!

LOL!! Well, tomorrow my wife and I get to watch our step granddaughter for the afternoon, she just turned 4 years old. We are pretty excited and will post tomorrow our day, with the joy of our life. Lol

Not much got done today. Was a rainy, take it easy day. Went to the grocery store and spoke to a previous coworker with whom I thought a lot of and used to encourage financially. Since our talks that started out five years ago, he's come a long way and I was really happy to hear about how much progress he's made. He went from being in debt and never having any money to learning how to spend less and hold onto his capital. Then, recently took an even bigger step toward learning how to invest some of it. I used to tell him he was only two changes away from turning it all around. I could tell that his life will never be the same by the gleam in his eyes and the excitement he had for growing his wealth to an amount he once never imagined he would ever have and he's only just begun. He's 45 years old but he has started a new journey and I'm pleased that I was able to help one person. Just one person. I was finally able to help one, one who was willing to listen. He promised to take me to lunch or dinner one of these days to say thanks which is nice, but just knowing I influenced his life in a positive way is thanks enough.

Coffee, Breakfast, Sauna and a shower. I tried to understand a Medical lab test bill, that has five tests listed, the first line said Charge, $15, adjustment (ins Co) $25.38, Amount due $40.38. The other 4 lines had a charge, an adjustment and the amount dues was, the charge minus the adjustment, not an addition. Four phones calls and they bumped it to a department that doesn't talk to customers. Then wasted hours of my life on the internet.
Need to get a life! Oh, I did make a handle for the cover of a Rain barrel my wife wanted.

We got a new to us dog last July and he needs vaccination updates and a check up. Called first vet and not taking any new clients. Second vet - we can take you in, but first appointment available is in July. Finally got an appointment at a third vet ten days from now. I guess the vet biz is crazy now.

Actually was yesterday, but opened up my inground pool for this year. Also mowed the yard and several smaller projects taking advantage of the nice weather. Rain for today through Wednesday. Which means be ready to mow again Thursday, this time of year is approx every 5-7 days maximum.

Yesterday we went to the first family gathering in a bit over a year, an outside picnic/cookout in a state park. The weather, always a bit of a gamble this time of year, was near perfect, sunny and ~85°F. Everyone in attendance has had their shots and no one wore masks. So glad to finally get in a little bit of normalcy and to see everyone. We did get a little sunburned though...

On last Saturday, my brother hosted a family get-together for a BBQ dinner out in his backyard, for 17 relatives. Everyone was fully vaccinated.

We had not had a family get-together like this since Feb 2020. We ate, drank, and talked till midnight. It was great.

Made up the brackets and mount for my cabinet project

Applied for a cash out refi loan, 7/1 ARM at 2.5% on our primary home that we plan on selling next year. Freeing up some cash for the lake house that we will move to full time next year hopefully. Hoping that the Real Estate market stays hot.

The refi will give us a bit over $100k in cash, and lower our monthly payment by almost $100!

Well, I'm hobbling along after an accident late yesterday. I was cleaning up some round fence posts that had old barbwire on them and 8 inch pole barn nails driven in them also. Well, one rolled of off the top and the nail landed right on top of my foot. The nail imbedded right between my big toe and the one next to it. It just about went all the way through. Lol Darn!!

Went and got my first covid shot this morning and will have our step grand daughter here with us this afternoon. I had a lot of things planned but not sure how much I can be on my feet today yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom