What did you do today? - 2021 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tough few days.

Koda asked to go out around 4:30am Friday and was attacked. I did not know if he was injured or how badly. The ER said he could wait until daytime. We video chatted with the vet's office and they said not too bad ... see you Saturday. So we went to his grooming appt and Arielle found 6 wounds when checking him. His vet saw him right away with that info. They did not sedate him to reclip, clean wounds, take labs, x-rays, and medicate. He has a deep bruise as well. He's on a 10 day regime of wound cleansing, antibiotics, and has pain meds. He wants to stay under my feet and isn't mad at me.

Unfortunately I don't know what it was. A mountain lion made off with a cat last week. A boxer was into the vet with his face injured from a bobcat. But I think Koda just met up with a mama raccoon protecting her pups. Large bite mark. About 2"+ across. We have a lot of raccoons here. Also possum & moles but they couldn't have done it. Mouth too small. IMHO

He's resting. Not at all mad at me.

That's rough Gayl. I worry about coyotes here, but our yard is fenced and have never seen one inside.
I worked on the RV steps today, cutting and welding the parts together. i have not committed and removed the old ones yet.

Dealing with moving company on behalf of my daughter for the past few days. Frustrating process!!!

Daughters worldly belongings are in a storage warehouse … we think … in New Jersey and need to get them to Ohio. The company we contracted with back in May … and paid … to move her out of Baltimore, store her goods for 3 months in NJ and move her into apartment in Cleveland in August isn’t being responsive at all.

I suspect what will happen is the movers won’t show up in Cleveland as contracted to move her in and her household goods are gone. Fortunately she didn’t have a lot of furniture and other goods. Wife is flying to Cleveland soon and mother and daughter are prepared to go on a shopping spree to furnish her little one bedroom apartment.

Lesson-learned … I should have moved her myself. Would have been so much less work and stress.

Woke up at 2:30 AM and gave up trying to go back to sleep. Went downstairs and started building on an R/C airplane that I'd intended to let go until winter, and didn't even notice when the sun came up. (The shop does have a south facing window.) I finally got tired about 8:00, went back to bed until 10:00 and I'm fine. Got a real good start on the airplane fuselage, it's almost done. So I'll probably finish this airplane in another two or three weeks.

That of course means I'll have to buy another airplane kit.:)

Woke up at 2:30 AM and gave up trying to go back to sleep. Went downstairs and started building on an R/C airplane that I'd intended to let go until winter, and didn't even notice when the sun came up. (The shop does have a south facing window.) I finally got tired about 8:00, went back to bed until 10:00 and I'm fine. Got a real good start on the airplane fuselage, it's almost done. So I'll probably finish this airplane in another two or three weeks.

That of course means I'll have to buy another airplane kit.:)

When are you going to add a room on the house to store all these planes? :D

Up at 4 made coffee went to the ranch while it was in the 50's and 60's. Loaded another 500 lbs. of iron and took and sold it. I figure about 2 ton left to haul out. Did some work on the old shop that is on the place I'm in the process of buying.

Came home and worked on that Maytag gas washing machine. I tore it down a few days ago and got everything back on except the carb. I will install it tonight or tomorrow and give it a try. All thing looks good for it to start but the gas tank is any good but I should be able to rig up a tank I would think.

When are you going to add a room on the house to store all these planes? :D

A room? Walt is going to need a hangar, with many hangers.

Z-Hanger-Rack2.jpg

Last edited:
I had to play a double header of slo-pitch tonight, I'm a spare on my GF's ball team and only play if they're short. It as my first game fo the year and I spent the night having large young guys pound ground balls at me. I quickly remembered why I retired from ball :LOL:

Early morning (7:30AM) walking round tee time with a golf buddy. Beautiful weather. No one near us in front or behind, and we finished in about 2.5 hours. Shot an 86. If the 1st tee wasn't crowded when we finished our round we would have gone at least another 9 holes.

Home by 11am and did a few house project items before making a homemade protein smoothie and settling in for the man cave movie siesta. Friends called in the afternoon, inviting us to hang out in their backyard for a crab feast social time. Spent a nice dinner and evening chatting and eating crabs and grilled food. It has been a while since I had eaten shelled crab. We definitely added to their compost pile :). Now getting ready for bed, need my rest before another round of early morning golf tomorrow.

Well, the last couple of days I have been working on that Maytag gas washing machine engine. With a lot of learning and greasy hands I got it to run today. It was a great learning experience and had a lot of fun and was very exited that I got it running. Lol

That is anther thing about retirement I have the time now to do things like this and every adventure I learn so much.

A room? Walt is going to need a hangar, with many hangers.

Cool! I want to know where that guy found those hangers! The bad news is that DW has limited me to only one room in the basement to keep airplanes in.

Had a great day flying today R/C models. The weather was pretty near perfect, a high overcast (so no sun in our eyes) and almost dead calm wind. High temperature in the low 80's, unseasonably cool for August around here. It was 62°F when we got to the flying site; both of us even wore jackets. All that hot weather I keep hearing about is someplace else, certainly not here.

And no crashes. It's always a good day when you bring the airplane back home intact with no major parts missing or deformed.

I made some videos with a Runcam2 mounted on a couple of the airplanes - I just stick it on with some Velcro and that seems to work okay, at least I haven't lost the camera yet. My student is doing fine, I officially "cut him loose" meaning he's allowed to fly at the club sites by himself with no assistance. Apparently I have more confidence in him than he does since he still wants some more instruction with the buddy box system.

DH and I made the 1.5 hour drive to DD’s house this morning so we could take care of the grandson while mom & dad worked. The little guy is recovering from a common childhood virus (hand foot and mouth disease) so he couldn’t go to daycare today. The other grandmother helped out yesterday and we were glad to spend the day with him today. He’s such a smiley boy, he melts my heart.

While the baby was napping, DH and I pulled weeds from the flower beds. I made dinner for us all, and then we drove home. It was a day well spent.

Drove DH to PT....he fell off 10ft off a roof June 17th because the ladder slipped as he was coming down. It has been a tough few weeks, but we find out tomorrow if he is cleared for driving. He still has a few weeks of PT left, but this might be the last one I drive him to. Came home after that appointment and made us brunch, then watered the plants, only to have a huge monsoon storm come in :) Now working on getting some pics ready and a greeting for my Mom's 70th party this weekend...sucks that we cannot be there, but glad to be included.

Drove DH to PT....he fell off 10ft off a roof June 17th because the ladder slipped as he was coming down. It has been a tough few weeks, but we find out tomorrow if he is cleared for driving. He still has a few weeks of PT left, but this might be the last one I drive him to. Came home after that appointment and made us brunch, then watered the plants, only to have a huge monsoon storm come in :) Now working on getting some pics ready and a greeting for my Mom's 70th party this weekend...sucks that we cannot be there, but glad to be included.

I just read today our amazing gold medalist Suni Lee's father was paralyzed falling off a ladder.. Please stay off ladders ER members...

I hyperextended my shoulder a year ago when I hung on a ladder as I was getting down and missed a step. Finally went to put this past spring and an back in full action. Been hanging, taping and mudding drywall in new pole barn with 12' ceilings the past couple of weeks and am very careful going up and down now. About halfway done.IMG_20210802_181633062.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I hyperextended my shoulder a year ago when I hung on a ladder as I was getting down and missed a step. Finally went to put this past spring and an back in full action. Been hanging, taping and mudding drywall in new pole barn with 12' ceilings the past couple of weeks and am very careful going up and down now. About halfway done.View attachment 39746

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Man an 8 or 10 foot fall onto a cement floor, what could possibly go wrong. ;)

Put my black lab down today. His appetite had been spotty over the last week or two and just didn't have any energy. Took him to the vet and an X-ray revealed he had blood pooling around his heart and spleen. And had a tumor close to the heart. He was 13 so I was somewhat prepared for the bad news but it still sucks. Will miss taking him on my beach trips and all the other things we did together. But.....this part goes with pet ownership too.

Put my black lab down today. His appetite had been spotty over the last week or two and just didn't have any energy. Took him to the vet and an X-ray revealed he had blood pooling around his heart and spleen. And had a tumor close to the heart. He was 13 so I was somewhat prepared for the bad news but it still sucks. Will miss taking him on my beach trips and all the other things we did together. But.....this part goes with pet ownership too.

Sorry for your loss from another dog lover. I know the feeling well. Only time will help.

My wife and I had a special day. We got to watch our future granddaughter (years old) today and she will send the night with us. Had a great day being part of her life. Chalk drawing on driveway, bike ride, park, she helped make cookies, put puzzles together, read books and she helped around around the yard.

I will say she can wear a person out!!

I'm so sorry, my friend. It's sad no matter how much you may have been expecting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom