What did you do today? - 2021 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Removed the hot tub filter and bromine canisters. Used a system flush on our hot tub/spa, circulated it for a couple of hours then drained the hot tub. Afterwords flushed with fresh water, replaced the filter, bromine canisters, and filled with clean fresh water. It took most of the day to drain and fill. The temperature finally came up to 102 degrees and wife is happy. Now we are ready for the cold weather.

Cheers!

Spent the morning at the surgeons office for my son's pre-op appointment for his ameloblastoma surgery. He had this done 5 years ago, and, unfortunately this "benign" tumor is back and very aggressive. It wasn't visible when he moved out in August, now it looks like he has a tennis ball lump on the side of his face. His surgery is on Monday. He's doing the surgery here in San Diego because this is a rare enough thing that Kaiser SoCal said his choices were San Diego and Downtown LA. Here he can recover at our house. Because (either location) he was at a distance from the maxillofacial department this was his first in person meeting with the surgeon - it's been telehealth phone calls and imaging (CT, pano x-ray). I like the surgeon, he answered all my questions (which of course I had a long list) and has decent experience with this (despite the extremely rare occurrence of this disease.)

Rodi, hoping for a quick and pain free recovery for you both.

Rodi, hoping for a quick and pain free recovery for you both.

+2. Hoping for the best and easiest outcome.

Spent several hours playing with a new R/C airplane simulator software package. I can see how this could become a huge time sink, but at the same time I can see why it is recommended so often, especially for someone contemplating learning to fly R/C aircraft - airplanes, helicopters, or drones. I haven't experimented with the last two yet. The software costs about as much as an inexpensive airplane and if it saves you one crash it just paid for itself. That's a very good bet to take.

Right now I'm "staging" stuff to go flying tomorrow. Except for the cool temperatures the weather will be about perfect and with the trees nearing peak colors I'll be sure to put a camera on the airplanes.

We had actual FROST on the ground this morning! Brrrrrr! At retirement I wanted to move someplace where the only ice I'd see would be in my drinks but DW didn't want to go that far from family. Oh well, it's only a few months out of the year that it's really bad.

This afternoon we raked and got about half of the leaves cleaned up at the vacation home. Tomorrow we are cooking breakfast at the firehouse (someone rented our hall/we are serving breakfast) then we will continue the leaf battle.

Jury duty today. We have a call in system, you call after 7 PM to see if you go in the next day. After 1 week or 1 trial you are done. So the first 2 days I did not go in. Day 3 I was told to report to court at 1:30 PM. After cooling our heels a bit, they let us into the court room. Judge told us the parties settled, and we were all dismissed, done. Was on my way back down the elevator by 2 PM. Has to be a record, or at least a personal one for me. LOL.

Ephesus was fantastic. When we were there we were allowed into the amphitheater. Imagine, this was where St. Paul preached to the Ephesians.
There were two musicians playing, one on guitar and one on pan flute. One hymn they played was "How Great Thou Art", which DW's grandmother used to sing to her. It was very moving.

I was in that theater less than a week ago. What a place! I was so thankful to have the chance to explore Ephesus!

Actually though, although Paul spoke for the Lord Jesus in Ephesus, it seems unlikely that he preached in this amphitheater. Remember that in Acts 19, his traveling companions and friends of his appealed to him not to enter the theater due to the anger of the rioting assembly there. But I'm pretty sure Paul was in that theater at other times.

Gumby - I hope you do go to Ephesus. What an amazing place! I was very impressed by the terrace houses near the harbor. The rich merchant "wheeler-dealers" living there obviously lived incredibly well. :)

I retired a year and a half ago at the age of 41 and this is basically what I do every day and I love it. I have a wife who is of the same age, and two young daughters age 2 and 8 yrs old.

6am - Treadmill for 1 hour in front of the basement TV
7am - Help wife with breakfast and clean up the kitchen
8am to 10am - On the computer and pay bills, deal with insurance matters, investments/banking and such
10:30am - Swim laps at the town rec center for 40 minutes
12 noon - Lunch with wide and youngest daughter
1pm - Take a nap or watch a movie
3pm - Wake up
4pm - Help with preparing dinner, or help with oldest homework
5pm - Take daughter to soccer practice
7pm - Eat dinner
8pm - Watch a game on TV or a movie/show
10pm - Bed time

Basically my life and I love it. Wife asks me from time to time if I want to start a business or something. I do have my RE license and I joined a RE broker, but I kind of do it part time and haven't gotten much business.

Things may change and get a little boring when the kids get older, but I'll figure something out when we cross that bridge.

Well today I took the motorcycle out for a 50 mile ride. May be that last of the season. Stopped by the local KIA dealership and checked out a new Forte for the kids. Lot was empty and I felt kinda sad for the young salesman. Wasn't too impress with the one Forte they had on the lot. Been a while since I was in an entry level car.

Then like most recent days, I attacked the leaves on the roof and yard. Seems it never ends, but I look forward to the day it's finally all cleaned up. Usually around Thanksgiving.

Hunted but just not finding what I want yet. Picked up leaves for an elderly lady then went to the ranch to hunt. Had a monster mule buck at the ranch today and my son came over to see if he could get him. It didn't happen but was very close to harvesting him. It is just a matter of time. I grabbed one card just before we left and had a cow moose on camera.

Attachments

• WGI_0002 (2).jpg
    WGI_0002 (2).jpg
    660.6 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Made chicken rice soup in the crockpot. Got the kitchen all tidied up from that.

Did a photography project that was fun.

Tired to do a good deed, but the person I was supposed to connect with didn't answer the door. Sounds like it was a bit of mis-communication so I will try again tomorrow.

Ate at Ding Tai Fung with my wife. Walked at an outside mall, bought some bakery and drinks. Just chilling.

This showed up in my USPS Informed Delivery email this morning. Property tax bill - the traditional start to the holiday season here in TX. :(

Attachments

• InkedProperty tax_LI.jpg
    InkedProperty tax_LI.jpg
    886.7 KB · Views: 43
Yep, property taxes received and paid already!

Heading out later to day to pick up DGS from school and watch him before Dad gets home.
Then we will come back home and DH will cook some steaks on the traeger.
Expecting rain and a wind advisory is out today.

We get our property tax bills in June for the year ahead, which are based on the Grand List assessment from the prior October and the mill rate determined in May. We get a single bill, which is due in two equal installments, the first in July immediately after the bills are received and the second in January. One of my traditional New Year's Day activities is writing the property tax checks (one for the house and one for each of the cars).

Ate at Ding Tai Fung with my wife. Walked at an outside mall, bought some bakery and drinks. Just chilling.

God we miss Din Tai Fung. We use to eat at their Guangzhou restaurant every weekend after church for lunch.

Which one do you go to? Is this in Cali?

LOL! Yep had one Christmas card already and paid now waiting for another Christmas card to pay those also. Merry Christmas!! At least we all can afford to pay them more fortunate then most.

This morning I ordered a prepared turkey breast and mashed potatoes (servings: 4) from Whole Foods, with a reserved pickup time on 11/24. I will make a couple of veggie sides. As I will be solo this Thanksgiving, I imagine I will be eating turkey for four days - fine by me - I love turkey!

Could I cook the food myself? Absolutely! Do I want to? Absolutely not! I would rather sit and read a book all day (or binge holiday shows) than spend a minute in the kitchen. Just a small luxury I allow myself for the holiday.

Given all the shortages these days, I wanted to get my order in in a timely manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom