What did you do today? - 2021 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made the following post on 11/18/2020:

The last few days, I made several trellises for snap peas. In a couple of months, I hope to have snap peas for stir fry, for soup, for salad, and what other uses I can find on the Web. We also grow a lot more green beans.

Now, 85 days later, the trellises are covered with lush green vines. The problem: few flowers, and few pea pods. What the heck?

On the Web, they warn about not overfertilizing peas, or the above problem would occur. I did not overfertilize the plants, but used nice expensive MiracleGro potting mix to grow these peas in pots. And that's what I got for using expensive pre-fertilized mix: lush foliage because of too much nitrogen. ARGGHHH!

They say that there's not much one can do to remedy it, other than to give the plants more phosphorus and potassium. And so, I have been doping the plants with monopotassium phosphate. The warm season will be here in the low desert soon, and it is likely that the plants will wither and die with the heat. Oh well, I will do better next year. Darn MiracleGro potting mix.

I'm making a binder of campfire singalong songs for the cabin, so I'm printing the lyrics and chord changes. It's also good ear practice. This morning I charted out "Handle With Care" by the Traveling Wilburys.

I emailed the final document to our HR department today and although on the books as an employee I am retired.

Congrats!

Not much happening here, online now.
Have about an inch of snow and ice on the ground and more falling now. supposed to get 6-8 inches over the 24 hour period. Thats a big deal here.
Its not the snow that is as treacherous as the ice. No driving for us this weekend!

I emailed the final document to our HR department today and although on the books as an employee I am retired.

Congratulations! That is a great feeling.

Yesterday, after shoveling the driveway I still had a lot of energy so DW and I went bowling. They have open lanes for several hours in between 2 leagues, and there were very few people there, so we felt fine being indoors. I bowled 4 games and came within ONE pin of bowling over 150 for all 4 games.

So far today it has been gym workout in the morning and UPS Store for an Amazon return. I am going to take it easy this afternoon, and spend some time continuing to transcribe an interview DW did with my parents back in the 90s about their younger days. Then we will meet up with another couple for a socially distanced dinner.

I made the following post on 11/18/2020:

Now, 85 days later, the trellises are covered with lush green vines. The problem: few flowers, and few pea pods. What the heck?

On the Web, they warn about not overfertilizing peas, or the above problem would occur. I did not overfertilize the plants, but used nice expensive MiracleGro potting mix to grow these peas in pots. And that's what I got for using expensive pre-fertilized mix: lush foliage because of too much nitrogen. ARGGHHH!

They say that there's not much one can do to remedy it, other than to give the plants more phosphorus and potassium. And so, I have been doping the plants with monopotassium phosphate. The warm season will be here in the low desert soon, and it is likely that the plants will wither and die with the heat. Oh well, I will do better next year. Darn MiracleGro potting mix.

Interesting and I have grown them but not for some years now.
The one thing in farming, you only get one chance each year.

Colder then a well drillers behind. About -40 with wind chill today so I'm hunkered down sitting on my behind. Lol

I've been driving my repaired model Y for the past 2 days and it's not right. It looks and drives well but criise, autopilot, and safety features don't work. When I took it back there was an informational message saying drive me more. Same message as when it was brand new, after 50-100 miles it went away and all was fine. Well after 400 miles it's still not working and I let the bodyshop, my insurance company, and Tesla know my disappointment. I also paid to have the vehicle delivered to me and I wasn't happy with the thought of paying anything else or driving to Albuquerque..

After a few calls the bodyshop called and said they're sending a truck to pickup and they will re-deliver the vehicle after its been repaired on their dime. It's going to be a few days while we receive a bunch of snow.

A quick last minute grocery run and a walk around the neighborhood after the first few inches of snow.

I'm making a binder of campfire singalong songs for the cabin, so I'm printing the lyrics and chord changes. It's also good ear practice. This morning I charted out "Handle With Care" by the Traveling Wilburys.

Love the Wilburys. What else might you have from Roy Orbison??

Your profile says you live "outdoors". Now might be a good time to consider relocating. :cool:
Well, I could but there is only a handful of days that is not fir for man or beast. I really do love the winter so many great outdoor fun things to do. Ice fishing, skating, hiking, sledding, snow shoeing, snowmobiling, shed hunting, and I really do enjoy being outside in the winter. Those days I stay most of the day I need to so I can get caught up on the stuff I should of stayed home to do a month ago. Lol

I would miss the 4 true season, very much!!

Last edited:
Love the Wilburys. What else might you have from Roy Orbison??

I'll probably chart out Pretty Woman. The goal is to have a collection of songs that everyone knows and can sing along to so I'm sticking to well known recognizable songs. I also want most of them to be relatively easy so novice guitar players can keep up...CCR, Mellencamp, etc.

Putzed around some more with the assembly on the 2-meter Proglider I bought last week from Value Hobby, a deal at $50 for the kit. It's pretty much built when delivered but doesn't have any electronics or motor in it so you have to buy and set up all that. Today was soldering in the 3.5mm bullet connectors on the speed control to fit the motor and mounting the radio receiver. I had to wait for Amazon to deliver the connectors, tomorrow they deliver the motor mounting hardware. Then I'm waiting for the right folding propeller, even Amazon didn't have that so I got it off eBay but that's a week out.

I'm kicking around the thought of buying two or three more of these airplanes because they're such a deal and they'd make great gifts when completed for young relatives interested in learning to fly an R/C airplane. This will fly so slowly that it will give new pilots plenty of time to react. For me they're very relaxing and fun to hunt thermals with. The downside as a gift is that if/when damaged, it will take more than casual kit-building experience, materials, and tools to repair. If built with a higher-end radio receiver that has onboard gyros you can set it to limit pitch and bank angles to keep a new pilot out of the worst of troubles. Decisions, decisions....

Attachments

• glider.jpg
    glider.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 33
Fidelity 1099 showed up today, so I'm nearly done with taxes. Schwab says it will be another week for theirs.

I admit that I've become wimpy when it comes to winter weather after 20+ years in Texas (and even more so since my mother died 7 years ago and I don't go up north every month or two to help my sister out). But this is completely bonkers - hasn't been above freezing since Wednesday (when it was 40 all day) and the forecast is for lows in the single digits on Monday (high in the teens). We're fortunate that our iced over big trees have survived so far, although we did lose a youngish anacacho orchid that bent over from the ice and split its trunk. And we've had power, unlike many others in town (my yoga teacher has been without it for almost 2 full days). We turned the thermostat down to 66 to take some load off the electric grid and are hunkered down wearing layers. Brrrr

The good news is that all of this enforced indoor activity gave me plenty of time to finish knitting my first ever sock (much more challenging than my normal rectangular prayer shawls). It turned out decent and I hope its mate turns out better and goes faster now that I have some clue of the details involved.

Not sure if it is simply coincidence or due to the abnormally cold weather, but a huge flock of robins has decided to spend the past couple of days on our property. They number in the hundreds, maybe thousands, and are covering the trees coming up the hill behind us. I love the whirring/whooshing sound they make when they fly by our deck.

Popcorn. beer, lawn chair. Waching C-span.

Not sure if it is simply coincidence or due to the abnormally cold weather, but a huge flock of robins has decided to spend the past couple of days on our property. They number in the hundreds, maybe thousands, and are covering the trees coming up the hill behind us. I love the whirring/whooshing sound they make when they fly by our deck.

Although we have Robins we never see that many at a time...Starling murmurations, on a less than gigantic scale, are more common....love the coordination...."We're all going to meet at that tree....not that one, that one".

Although we have Robins we never see that many at a time...Starling murmurations, on a less than gigantic scale, are more common....love the coordination...."We're all going to meet at that tree....not that one, that one".
Every spring at my camp's open area about two acres, there is what I call the spring Robin convention. For a few days maybe around a 100 spend most of the daylight there. Then a few more days later they are seen in very small groups around the camp. A week or two later there is a strong defense of turf against interlopers.

Not much happening here, online now.
Have about an inch of snow and ice on the ground and more falling now. supposed to get 6-8 inches over the 24 hour period. Thats a big deal here.
Its not the snow that is as treacherous as the ice. No driving for us this weekend!

Sounds like here in the Seattle area? The deal wouldn't be so big if drivers would slow down and increase following distance! :mad:

I'm a little north of Seattle, and the snow missed us yesterday, but today there's 5 or 6 inches and more coming, plus wind. I shoveled some places on the patio to put birdseed down and taped a handwarmer to the bottom of the hummingbird feeder so it won't freeze up today. DH usually slops the birds in the morning, but he's away until tomorrow afternoon. I have the house to myself. :D

Last edited:

That is so cool!!

It might be coincidence too, but this morning I awakened to the LOUD cawing of dozens and dozens of huge ravens. (we get ravens the size of small dogs here, but this was a lot of ravens!). I wondered why they were all cawing. None of them quoth "Never more", but more like an angry "CAW CAW CAW!!!!" Then, while drinking my coffee, I saw a very large raccoon galumphing across my back yard. He might have set the ravens off.

Oh well. It's all calmed down by now, but living in the city we don't usually see or hear wildlife very much so this was pretty unusual. We have raccoons, sure, but it is not common to see one just running across my lawn during the daytime, much less one that big.

Been working on a pair of river willow snowshoes just for displaying in my home or at the cabin.
Interesting of your sightings of robins. They seem to stay all year long, because I always see them when I'm at the ranch. We been having -25 to -17 below as lows and for about 8 days now never seen above 0. Yet those robins stay but they have a lot of great cover and must find enough to eat from all of natures seed plants that are plentiful.

I set up my indoor seed starting rolling shelf unit today, and then started the celery and cabbage seeds. The young wife has churned some butter and is currently baking a sourdough boule. She will make stew a little later. My mouth is already watering.

So you have all of our robins. I haven't seen any in months.

Charted out 2 more songs for the acoustic guitar campfire book...Proud Mary and Bad Moon Rising. I could just copy/paste from a web page but the formatting is never right and quite often there are mistakes with both the lyrics and the chord changes. I'm also laying it out so it's very easy to follow, usually 4 bars per line with the lyrics on the left side and the chord changes on the right side. That makes it easy for someone to sing and play at the same time without jumping all over the page. Then once it's all done I increase the font size to make it as big as possible but still fit on one page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom