What did you do today? - 2021 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
A quick trip down to DS place yesterday afternoon and back this morning. When I left here yesterday about noon it was in the high 30s. It was 9 in Denver when I got there. -2 this morning when I left and 32 up here in the mountains. I think I will hang out up here for a while. :)

Mounted the motor and ESC (electronic speed control) on the R/C model Proglider I'm building and the folding propeller I'd ordered from eBay arrived too. The propeller was just what I ordered but unfortunately I ordered the wrong shaft size.:facepalm: Anyway, as a stopgap I had also ordered some non-folding regular propellers so when/if we get any decent weather I can get the flying trims all set up.

Given the weather forecast for the immediate future we're planning on staying inside, the farthest venture being to the mailbox. And we have the generator ready and a couple day's worth of fuel for it.

Putzed around some more with the assembly on the 2-meter Proglider I bought last week from Value Hobby, a deal at $50 for the kit. It's pretty much built when delivered but doesn't have any electronics or motor in it so you have to buy and set up all that. Today was soldering in the 3.5mm bullet connectors on the speed control to fit the motor and mounting the radio receiver. I had to wait for Amazon to deliver the connectors, tomorrow they deliver the motor mounting hardware. Then I'm waiting for the right folding propeller, even Amazon didn't have that so I got it off eBay but that's a week out.

I'm kicking around the thought of buying two or three more of these airplanes because they're such a deal and they'd make great gifts when completed for young relatives interested in learning to fly an R/C airplane. This will fly so slowly that it will give new pilots plenty of time to react. For me they're very relaxing and fun to hunt thermals with. The downside as a gift is that if/when damaged, it will take more than casual kit-building experience, materials, and tools to repair. If built with a higher-end radio receiver that has onboard gyros you can set it to limit pitch and bank angles to keep a new pilot out of the worst of troubles. Decisions, decisions....

Walt, another source for good kits, motors, speed controls and other park flyer parts.

https://www.stevensaero.com/

I'm considering this one for a winter project:

https://www.stevensaero.com/product/bbm-fk017_bdl/

Last edited:
We've lived in greater Portlandia for four years now, but this is the first year we've been able to XC ski right out our back door. In total, we must have 15 inches or more of snow. The good news is that neither DW or I fell down.

Thank you! I dimly remember hearing about Stevens Aero decades ago but didn't know they were still around. I bookmarked the site.

That Ugh-LE-Bug! and the Square One have already caught my eye as possible projects.

Back in "the day" I built and flew several gas kits (Sterling Models, Hal DeBolt kits, etc) but now that all that gear is gone, and I have all this free time, I am getting interested in electric park flyers.

I've been following your posts on this and now I am getting serious (spending the bucks!). Plus, I'm getting to old to keep finding old cars to restore and sell....and that hobby is causing too much body punishment at my age.

Walmart run for a valentine card. Plowed and shoveled snow. Got a jury duty notice in the mail. Played with some indoor photography. Watching the Blackhawks.

Today, for the 40th time, I had roses delivered to the young wife. It all started in 1982, when she was a junior at a small women's college in Maryland. I had graduated from USNA the summer before and was stationed down in Orlando. I wanted to send her roses, but I saw on the news that a snowstorm was expected, so I had them delivered the day before to be safe. A really big snow storm did indeed roll in that evening, and no one could make any deliveries on the 14th. So she was the only one of the young women at her college to have roses on Valentine's Day, and I won the boyfriend award that year. Ever since, I have had roses delivered to her on the 13th.

Last edited:
Today, for the 40th time, I had roses delivered to the young wife. It all started in 1982, when she was a junior at a small women's college in Maryland. I had graduated from USNA the summer before and was stationed down in Orlando. I wanted to send her roses, but I saw on the news that a snowstorm was expected, so I had them delivered the day before to be safe. A really big snow storm did indeed roll in that evening, and no one could make any deliveries on the 14th. So she was the only one of the young women at her college to have roses on Valentine's Day, and I won the boyfriend award that year. Ever since, I have had roses delivered to her on the 13th.

THAT is a wonderful story!

No flowers for Ms G but today we celebrate our 40th anniversary. OK, a nice fire, good eats, and one or more bottle of our favorite sparkling. Cheers to you and the young wife.

DW gave me this Valentine card today. I thought it was so perfectly appropriate that I had to share it with my fellow LBYM types here.

Attachments

• IMG_2762.jpg
    IMG_2762.jpg
    399.8 KB · Views: 41
Cheese and Beer, perfect!
We are remaining hunkered down and continuing on house chores. I pulled out all the internet and TV/DVR gear and cleaned around it and tidied up the wiring yesterday during an internet/TV outage.

No Valentine dinner out due to the ice and snow, so we will postpone until later this week and do a Restaurant pick up dinner .
Today, we are staying inside. No one is out, except those on skis or sleds.
Have been enjoying watching kids and dads slide down our hill the past few days.

yesterday...b’fast out with 5 buddies. then a run to MicroCenter to pick up s new external hard drive enclosure followed by errands to.Costco (coffee cake muffins), Office Depot and then the weekly grocery run. whew! just getting tired all over again.

Still hunkering down from the cold (-35 this morning). Charted out 3 more songs for the campfire book: Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd), Learning to Fly (Tom Petty), and Hey Hey My My (Neil Young).

DW got a Valentine's card and a raincheck for a steak dinner after we both get vaccinated.

Fidelity 1099 showed up today, so I'm nearly done with taxes. Schwab says it will be another week for theirs.

I just needed 3 from Fido, which I got yesterday. I e-filed today and already got a message that my Federal tax was accepted.:dance:

I went to the ranch after lunch to take down a dead fallen tree that was hung up in some live trees. I needed to take the widow maker out of there before someone got hurt. I did finally get it out down but was more work then what I thought it would be. The temperature finally getting some what better today. It still was - 14 with wind chill but felt good to do some manual labor.

Woke up to fresh snow, it snowed all night and I woke up to about 14" of it. Sometime from 11:00 pm to 5:00 am the snowplow was through and left a monster pile at the end of the driveway. Normally I run the snowblower in 3rd, 4th gear, today it was first gear for the first pass and by the time I was done it needed a second pass. The pile at the road was at least a foot taller than the snowblower is tall so multiple passes were required. It's still snowing but I'm not going out again.

We planned on going snowshoeing up north but DW was afraid of the roads so we walked the neighborhood. It was still quite with only a few people clearing their driveways.

I've made chocolate truffles today: milk chocolate center with hints of raspberry and a semisweet coating. Topped with a little sea salt and nibs. Tonight is a medium rare pork tenderloin and scalloped potatoes for dinner

We're supposed to get a days break from snow but evidently nobody told mother nature.

Got ready for the coming ice storm (which is currently in process). Houston will be at a standstill tomorrow.

I went to the ranch after lunch to take down a dead fallen tree that was hung up in some live trees. I needed to take the widow maker out of there before someone got hurt. I did finally get it out down but was more work then what I thought it would be. The temperature finally getting some what better today. It still was - 14 with wind chill but felt good to do some manual labor.

Good on you for taking down that widowmaker. The neighbor had one that was aimed at one of his lawns, and it drove me nuts. I brought home the big excavator, unloaded it and laid it down in a few minutes. It took me longer to load or unload the machine.

My first Monday of retirement. Got up and we have around 6” of snow, temp is 17F with a 4F wind chill. It’s bad since we live in Louisiana. The upside is I’m not getting calls and emails from work trying to deal with emergency’s. I’m doing nothing but watch the birds eat.

You know you're retired when you wake up with the intention to go to the post office, only to discover that it's a holiday, which makes you grumpy. Whoever thought a holiday could make you grumpy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom