What did you do today? - 2021 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got in touch with State about bone findings but they never got back to me today. If they don't get back, I will contact a paleontologist that contacted me last spring that spent two days search on my place.

Went for an another all day of hiking adventure. Found a fossil of a leaf in a rock which was pretty exciting.

Attachments

• IMG_6391 (2).jpg
    IMG_6391 (2).jpg
    199 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_6393.jpg
    IMG_6393.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 54
Day started when I registered for a mountain bike race next Saturday. Race is billed as a “dirt criterium”, which is code for a very fast tight and curvy race course that’ll peg your heart rate at maximum from start to finish.

Then hit the gym for daily Cardio condition followed up by a 2 hour/16 mile mountain bike workout with 3,000 ft of hill climbing.

Wife is out of town this week on a girls Palm Springs week so wrapped up the day with grilled steak and a bourbon. No need for salad or veggies tonight.

I had to reply when I seen you like catfish. I catch channel cats on the river at my place. Still a lot of ice but shore lines are opening up real nice now for some cat fishing.

Hehe! I love catfish. That's why I always buy 25 year old boats. I don't worry about the chicken liver blood messing them up.

From time to time I wash the blood off the gunnels with a mop dipped in the river.

Yeah Baby!

Walt, have you bought a kit from Willy Nillies and built it? I recall you had delivery problems with a supplier a short while ago and was wondering if it was these folks.

Thanks.

An addendum:

I received an email last night from Willy Nillie's that he is sending the missing items, and from the looks of it, a new kit as well. According to the USPS web site it should be here Tuesday. We'll see, and I'll let you know if/when it arrives.

Still, given that the original order was placed on February 7 I'm not impressed.

I’ve had an ear wax plugged ear for a while and recently tried a home ear wax removal kit. It didn’t work. Yesterday I could barely hear out of one ear. Went to quick care this morning and got both ears purged of ear wax. Hydrogen peroxide and a turkey baster type thing flush. Now I can hear again. Then went hiking and did some woodworking.

I’ve had an ear wax plugged ear for a while and recently tried a home ear wax removal kit. It didn’t work. Yesterday I could barely hear out of one ear. Went to quick care this morning and got both ears purged of ear wax. Hydrogen peroxide and a turkey baster type thing flush. Now I can hear again. Then went hiking and did some woodworking.

The doctor used something harsher than hydrogen peroxide the last time I had my ears flushed around 1990, and even that flushing hurt. Even the doctor warned me it will hurt. I once read about how often flushing causes a punctured eardrum and I think it was kind of often. My treatment with the harsher substance made my external ear get red, itchy, and swollen. YouTube ear wax removal videos show a probe that grabs the wax. Maybe an ear doctor is needed for the probe. That would be my preferred method.

I self-treat with Debrox drops, a lot of flushing (rubber bulb, not like the doctor's tool), my tissue technique* and an Ototek Loop. I usually get a tiny bit out with the loop that opens my ears temporarily, but I have to press the loop shield firmly against my ear once it's all the way in. When I had jury duty the next day I took treatment to the next level by repeating the above (drops, flush, tissue, pick, repeat). It worked.

* Tissue technique consists of twisting the corner of a tissue between my fingers to make a point, pull down on my earlobe, stick the tissue in, and shake my ear to try to get as much wax on the tissue as I can.

...correction: tissue comes before flush.

Last edited:
Spent most of the day hiking. Another beautiful day.

It is snowing here and is supposed to continue through tomorrow, then a day off and more snow on Tuesday. This seemed like the perfect weekend, so I ordered and downloaded Turbo Tax from Amazon. Some weekends are fun. Some you just need to slog through. I will spend that one nice day (Monday) plowing the roads. My cabinets are supposed to show up on Tuesday. That may be delayed, depending on the snow.

9C (48F) and sunny so warm enough to sit on the south deck against the house. In shorts ;)

9C (48F) and sunny so warm enough to sit on the south deck against the house. In shorts ;)

I live in northern Montana been in shorts for awhile now. No frost a month ago was digging holes with shovel and dry all the way down.

It was brown winter a little snow but melted in a day or two. I have a tan like it was mid summer already. Usually tanned from white snow glare but not this year. Been a good one but to dry and to hot for this area.

An addendum:

I received an email last night from Willy Nillie's that he is sending the missing items, and from the looks of it, a new kit as well. According to the USPS web site it should be here Tuesday. We'll see, and I'll let you know if/when it arrives.

Still, given that the original order was placed on February 7 I'm not impressed.

Thanks for the update!

So far, I have been periodically enthralled by a tiny spider crawling back and forth across my computer screen.

slicing and dicing some old plywood and ash into a dog step and bed footboard combo. Katie has bailed off the end of the bed a couple of times, completely missing the chair we have there for them. I will block and guide her with a footboard with a 24" gap in it where I want her to start down off the bed.
She is functionally blind with rapidly maturing inoperable cataracts, and has the attitude of a honey badger. She don't give a

Vacuumed a million dog hairs out of the car and wiped off the slobber. Then took my 3 year old lab shepherd buddy for a ride with the windows down. She loves the slow roll past the goat farm. Worth it.

54F, Sunny, worked on my suntan.

Nearly finished the Herr Engineering Rally XP powered sailplane I've been building the last week or so. It's ready to fly but the high winds won't allow that for at least a few more days. I still need to put some appearance items on it, stripes down the sides but functionally it's ready to go. This was designed 20+ years ago and batteries and small electric motors have come a long way since. It'll probably be able to hang on the propeller and go vertical or nearly so and that's with an inexpensive motor.

peripheral vision testing for glaucoma, done every 6 months. I do not like that "click when you see the light flashing" test, whatever it is called.

Got in touch with State about bone findings but they never got back to me today. If they don't get back, I will contact a paleontologist that contacted me last spring that spent two days search on my place.

Went for an another all day of hiking adventure. Found a fossil of a leaf in a rock which was pretty exciting.
Nice fossilized leaf, if you can post a picture of the bone pile I'll give my opinion. I don't guess its from a pack rat burrow.

Registered my first vehicle in NH today, my new Jeep. We have a second home in NH and are going to slowly migrate there permanently from MA over the next 2 years.

It cost $451 to register it. NH does not have a sales tax, but bases fees on list price and weight of the vehicle.

If had registered it in MA, for tax, title and registration, it would have been $2130.

Quick stop at the Dr.'s office for a blood test, in & out in five minutes! Not that they're usually all that bad for waiting times but that was unusually fast. Next stop was a grocery run because it's sort of on the way home, or at least not a far detour. They wanted me fasting for the blood sample so I committed the cardinal rule violation of going to the grocery store when hungry. I fell off the diet wagon big time, oh well, we'll eat all that junk food eventually.

Finished up a small backyard flyer R/C airplane last night but it's been way too windy to even think about flying it. Then promptly started on another R/C airplane this morning. Some photos of the recently finished one:

Attachments

• Herr_Rally_XP (10 of 13).jpg
    Herr_Rally_XP (10 of 13).jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 33
  • Herr_Rally_XP (9 of 13).jpg
    Herr_Rally_XP (9 of 13).jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Herr_Rally_XP (7 of 13).jpg
    Herr_Rally_XP (7 of 13).jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 33
  • Herr_Rally_XP (2 of 13).jpg
    Herr_Rally_XP (2 of 13).jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Herr_Rally_XP (13 of 13).jpg
    Herr_Rally_XP (13 of 13).jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 36
Quick stop at the Dr.'s office for a blood test, in & out in five minutes! Not that they're usually all that bad for waiting times but that was unusually fast. Next stop was a grocery run because it's sort of on the way home, or at least not a far detour. They wanted me fasting for the blood sample so I committed the cardinal rule violation of going to the grocery store when hungry. I fell off the diet wagon big time, oh well, we'll eat all that junk food eventually.

Finished up a small backyard flyer R/C airplane last night but it's been way too windy to even think about flying it. Then promptly started on another R/C airplane this morning. Some photos of the recently finished one:

Looks good and looks FAST!

Nice.
I still have a storage bin full of model rockets and kits, etc from when the kids were young.
Would love to get out and fly some rockets. Unfortunately our area is very dicey with lots of trees and hard to find big fields.

Instead ... I worked on re-doing the front deck It had some rotted floor boards so last Sat I ripped them up and found the railing posts and half the other boards were rotting too. So, I am redoing the supports, etc and new decking boards arrive tomorrow.
Too bad it was 19degF out and blustery winds all day. I got some nw boards instlled between running inside to thaw out my fingers.

Got the riding lawnmower fired up for first time this season. Always hard to start, though it has a keyed ignition. A lot of times it takes longer to get it started than to mow the lawn.

So I mowed the lawn, and having invested a lot of time getting the tractor started, I also mowed the pasture closest to the lawn. Then cleaned the mowing deck on it and rode it back into the shed.

Feels good to have the lawn and near pasture mowed and looking good for awhile, and just as the rains come back for a few days.

Next chore is to put some more moss control on the moss clumps in the lawn I missed on my first dosing of it.

Went for a all day hike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom