What did you do today? - 2021 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is way too much groundhog love going on here, All you guys did was make the groundhog someone else's problem.

I agree. In WV it is illegal to relocate them for that reason.

The one we trapped a few years ago went for dirt nap. Of course, DW got squeamish when it came to that so I ended up paying a guy to do the "dirty deed". My plan was to simply tie a rope to the trap, throw it in the creek, wait 20 minutes or so and then haul my trap back out but DW wouldn't hear of it.

I agree. In WV it is illegal to relocate them for that reason.

The one we trapped a few years ago went for dirt nap. Of course, DW got squeamish when it came to that so I ended up paying a guy to do the "dirty deed". My plan was to simply tie a rope to the trap, throw it in the creek, wait 20 minutes or so and then haul my trap back out but DW wouldn't hear of it.
My eccentric brother, who lived on an 80 acre farm, used to use his tractor to make a row of 4' deep holes with a PTO post hole digger. Then he'd use a .22 center fire rifle with a scope to pop off the groundhogs in his fields. He'd drop the 'hogs into the holes until they were all filled, then cover the row and start over. It was like bailing the ocean.

My eccentric brother, who lived on an 80 acre farm, used to use his tractor to make a row of 4' deep holes with a PTO post hole digger. Then he'd use a .22 center fire rifle with a scope to pop off the groundhogs in his fields. He'd drop the 'hogs into the holes until they were all filled, then cover the row and start over. It was like bailing the ocean.

22 center fire seems an overkill. I would have thought a 22 magnum could do the job, and at a much lower cost. Maybe he tried to reach out all the way to the edge of his lot.

I saw some powerful air rifle that people used successfully as varmint rifles, but I do not own one.

If you faced an infestation of mice like these poor Australian farmers did, you would need napalm bombs.

Last edited:
Spending a good deal of time at the hospital this past 10 days. My 87-year-old mom fell while visiting my sister and broke her hip last Sunday night. She had a hip replacement the next day and after 3 days on the Surgical ward is now on the Rehab unit for a couple of weeks. She is doing very well and up on her own with a walker. Hoping to be able to eventually return to her home which unfortunately is a split-level affair. Time will tell. Glad that she was able to wait until COVID was waning before having to be in the hospital!

22 center fire seems an overkill. I would have thought a 22 magnum could do the job, and at a much lower cost. Maybe he tried to reach out all the way to the edge of his lot.

I saw some powerful air rifle that people used successfully as varmint rifles, but I do not own one.

If you faced an infestation of mice like these poor Australian farmers did, you would need napalm bombs.

I've used my ruger 1022 with 22lr to take out a few groundhogs, but only ones that cause damage. Eating flowers, door casing, garage door trim. Otherwise I trap them. It's safer.

I do have an RWS air rifle that I use also. Much more safe than a 22.

Trapped the groundhog that took up residence under our deck and relocated it several miles west. Then some dock demo. And dinner/ trip prep with our upcoming trip group.

How is the dock project going?? Demo new construction etc.?

How is the dock project going?? Demo new construction etc.?

Demo is almost done. Have the dock dismantled and a few piers out. 5 or 6 more piers to go. Piers are coming out easier than expected. I beat on them with a sledgehammer until the pvc shatters and the concrete breaks.

Attachments

• C0D07D8B-8B8C-4DD4-BC7B-2D741A100237.jpeg
    C0D07D8B-8B8C-4DD4-BC7B-2D741A100237.jpeg
    853 KB · Views: 53
I got burned out on Cracker Barrel during a training class in the 1990's. Three of us went to the class, paid for with a DOJ grant and it included the hotel (Motel 6) and three meals a day at the restaurant next door, a Cracker Barrel. For a week. Since then I've eaten one meal at a Cracker Barrel, and that only because I was stuck in a carload of others who all wanted to go there.

Did you happen to see this couple while you were there?

Attachments

• Cracker Barrel.JPG
    Cracker Barrel.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 45
Did you happen to see this couple while you were there?

Nope, they must have visited some other time.

Today I found a spot for the sailplane with a 2.4 meter (7 feet, 10.5 inches) wing span nestled up in the basement floor joists. The wings come off for transport of course so that makes it easier. Most of the "easy" spots are already taken so I'm having to give airplane storage more thought and creativity.

Just got back from a trip to Montana where DW did her 78th half marathon. Pretty good for only starting them five years ago, and coming from couch potato status seven years ago. I'm very proud of her, and happy to go along as her support crew most of the time.

Found a BBQ place that had the best brisket I've had in several years, and a local ice cream place that had the best ice cream I've had in years as well. I guess I have to admit that travel is indeed "broadening". :cool:

Just got back from a trip to Montana where DW did her 78th half marathon. Pretty good for only starting them five years ago, and coming from couch potato status seven years ago. I'm very proud of her, and happy to go along as her support crew most of the time.

Found a BBQ place that had the best brisket I've had in several years, and a local ice cream place that had the best ice cream I've had in years as well. I guess I have to admit that travel is indeed "broadening". :cool:

Were you bothered by wildfire smoke? Saw a video from Twin Falls ID yesterday and it looked nasty.

Were you bothered by wildfire smoke? Saw a video from Twin Falls ID yesterday and it looked nasty.

Not really. We were in the Bozeman area. You could see the haze everywhere, and mountains only five miles away were misty. An extremely slight smell of smoke in the air, but not bothersome.

Not really. We were in the Bozeman area. You could see the haze everywhere, and mountains only five miles away were misty. An extremely slight smell of smoke in the air, but not bothersome.

No one wants to run a race when the air stinks..:)

Demo is almost done. Have the dock dismantled and a few piers out. 5 or 6 more piers to go. Piers are coming out easier than expected. I beat on them with a sledgehammer until the pvc shatters and the concrete breaks.

Looks Great!!
I love projects with a challenge looks like your plan is working good.

Man, ocean front property to boot, can't beat that!! Lol

Got a hearing test today at Costco. Results were that I am borderline with high frequency loss, so they gave me a pair of loaners to try for a few days to see if I think I want to go that way. The test was 90 minutes and was very thorough. The hearing aids are $1400 a pair and are amazingly sophisticated with bluetooth adjustment and rechargeable batteries with touchless charging.

I was impressed by Costco's service, no hard sell and surprisingly low price.
Took back the hearing aids today. I just couldn't see any significant difference. Hearing tech said she wasn't surprised, based on the test results. Now, if I can just get DW to quit talking to me from another room with the refrigerator running. :cool:

Met up with a friend for lunch. First time for on-premise dining in 18 months. Although she was OK with inside, I preferred outside. We're both fully vaccinated but the Delta variant is a concern for my DH who has compromised lung function. It was still great to catch up in person.

Congrats to your DW! Running a half marathon is impressive, but to average more than one per month for 5 years - that's incredible!

Congrats to your DW! Running a half marathon is impressive, but to average more than one per month for 5 years - that's incredible!

Just for the record, she doesn't run these races -- she's a walker. Lots more walkers in races these days, since it's much easier on the knees. Still not too shabby for anyone in their 70s. She is aiming for 100 halfs by the end of next year, and starting to think about what the next goal will be.

Just for the record, she doesn't run these races -- she's a walker. Lots more walkers in races these days, since it's much easier on the knees. Still not too shabby for anyone in their 70s. She is aiming for 100 halfs by the end of next year, and starting to think about what the next goal will be.

Ok. For a minute I thought you were married to Supergirls's birth mother. :D

Now I realize she's probably a relative of Wonder Woman.

Learned a new word: Paltering.

""Paltering," or the active use of a truthful statement to mislead someone -- is the subject of a new research study published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. It finds that the tactic is not only common -- more than half of business executives enrolled in a Harvard Business School executive education course admitted they had used it in some or most of their negotiations, for instance -- but viewed with equal distrust as intentional lies. Participants in the study rated the behavior of someone who paltered in a negotiation as being just as unethical or untrustworthy as the person who outright lied with a known falsehood."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...when-telling-the-truth-is-actually-dishonest/

Seems it is employed nowadays in all manner of public discourse as well.

Had one of my wife's former co-workers visit yesterday as she was passing through town. She had some sad news to report about her life.

Raised one of our retirement account draws to give us about a $250 a month pretax increase in income starting next month. Part of our going from a 3% to a 4% draw through 2022 because of one income stream ending.

Got all the treads and risers on. So the gazebo is assembled, but the Home Depot delivered 8 horribly scratched up composite boards, so I've still got an unfinished strip to do. Next is the indoor/outdoor ceiling fans.

The steps took a few days because once the sun comes over the trees (11:30 or so), I quit... just too hot. And it's very important to me to enjoy the doing.

Attachments

• IMG_20210716_145230509.jpg
    IMG_20210716_145230509.jpg
    823 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Learned a new word: Paltering.

""Paltering," or the active use of a truthful statement to mislead someone -- is the subject of a new research study published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. It finds that the tactic is not only common -- more than half of business executives enrolled in a Harvard Business School executive education course admitted they had used it in some or most of their negotiations, for instance -- but viewed with equal distrust as intentional lies. Participants in the study rated the behavior of someone who paltered in a negotiation as being just as unethical or untrustworthy as the person who outright lied with a known falsehood."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...when-telling-the-truth-is-actually-dishonest/

Seems it is employed nowadays in all manner of public discourse as well.

How about an example of somebody 'paltering'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom