What did you do today? - 2022 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
No snow here but had a few days of colder temps. Been walking about 5 miles a day in town and catching up on reading and doing nothing. Been making plans for tree planting and working on a small steel wheel one axle 100 plus year old trailer. I am going to use it for hauling a 300-gallon tote to pull around the ranch to water trees for a couple of years.

I also this morning cut off my 30-year-old mustache I wore till this morning. It was a Sam Elliott type of stache and I don't even recognize me. I'm not sure I will go in public ever again. I feel like I'm naked. Lol

I've had a 'stache for at least 40 years running, and the idea of cutting it off is horrifying. :LOL:

I've had a 'stache for at least 40 years running, and the idea of cutting it off is horrifying. :LOL:
Lol! Yes horrifying!! I haven't gone in public yet just been at the ranch. I haven't mentioned it to my son or his family yet either. They will facetime this weekend and will see what they say.

^ well hair isn't that long. Lol I will most likely grow one back at some time.

I have grown a mustache only once in my life, when I was 25. A little over a week after the young wife and I got married, I had to deploy again on my submarine for a few months. I decided to grow a mustache while I was out and surprise her when I got back. (we couldn't grow a beard because your emergency air breathing apparatus (essentially a gas mask) would not get a seal if you did).

I'm sure you can guess the result - she hated it with a passion. So I shaved it off and never grew it again.

Last edited:
Gumby, I don't think my wife was overly fond of my stache but never really complained about it.
It seems like living in the west and growing up raising cattle and sheep it was something a lot of rancher's and cowboys had. I miss it but then again after 30 plus straight year with it is something not easy to get rid of.

I had a mustache once, my wife (5 years older) told me it made me look older.

When it started getting grey she said "shave if off, makes you look older"

Women.

While in college after I got out of the Air Force, I grew a mustache just to try it. As a guy with light brown hair at the time, the mustache came out RED. No wonder my Dad was nick named "Red" (with reddish hair).

I shaved it off.

It does make a person look older IMO and mine was solid gray.

Not sure why but just got a wild hair to cut it off. Had the scissors in my hand about three time and back in the drawer than back out again before I took the first whack at it. lol

Last edited:
No snow here but had a few days of colder temps. Been walking about 5 miles a day in town and catching up on reading and doing nothing. Been making plans for tree planting and working on a small steel wheel one axle 100 plus year old trailer. I am going to use it for hauling a 300-gallon tote to pull around the ranch to water trees for a couple of years.

I also this morning cut off my 30-year-old mustache I wore till this morning. It was a Sam Elliott type of stache and I don't even recognize me. I'm not sure I will go in public ever again. I feel like I'm naked. Lol

LOL Street I did that about 5 years ago actually by accident, I was trimming mine and my DGD came to the house with her mom> My DW told her that Papa was in the bedroom so she came in and snuck up on me. She said BOO it startled me and zip very large gap on one side.:facepalm: She was crying so I told her it was ok I was planning to cut it anyway. So I went ahead and cut it off and my goodness how cold it was. I left it off for about 3 weeks then started it back along with a full beard then. The full beard and stash lasted for about 6 months and eventually I kept trimming down to what I have now---neatly trimmed stash and goatee trimmed every 2 weeks. But you are right it looks strange at 1st for sure.

DH had a mustache when we met; I'm not sure how long he had it before then but I believe more than 5 years. He was ready to shave it off a few years before he actually did it - we were living in Germany at the time and he was afraid to not match his passport picture while we were traveling overseas so much. A few months after we settled back in the states he called the kids back into the bathroom to watch him shave it off since they'd also never seen him without it. So he had it for at least 20 years.

When DW and I met in college I had a mustache and goatee. When I started working for Megacorp I shaved the goatee and did not grow in back for probably 25 years. Then in my late 40's, on one of our rare multi-week vacation trips, I let the goatee grow back in and DW loved it, said "that's what you looked liked when I met you and I want that". In a couple of years it went all white and for a while I had this weird "two toned" look of black mustache and grey beard, but I kept it for DW. Now the mustache is more grayish so it is a closer match. If left to my own devices I would shave the goatee... but when the wife is happy, everybody's happy :). Now I tell her that it makes me look older than I am... and her response is "I know how old you are... so who EXACTLY are you trying to look younger for ??":D

Now I tell her that it makes me look older than I am... and her response is "I know how old you are... so who EXACTLY are you trying to look younger for ??":D

LOL! I like that!!

The one thing my skin is so light color where the stache was and I'm so dark complected it makes it more noticeable to me. Need some more days in the outdoors and get skin blended in. Lol

I had a 'stache 41 years ago when I met DW. But just like bowling league and softball, the 'stache had to go. No facial hair since. But I now go about a week between shaves or until DW 'reminds' me that I need to shave. Now it's mostly white with a few dark hairs.

Last edited:
Foggy morning, but the sun is starting to shine through. Plan on getting a good walk in and cleaning up the toy room after DGS was here yesterday! He helps put his toys away, but I have to readjust them on the shelves before the littlest one comes over, can't have loose legos around--choking hazard!

Met my ROMEO club friends at 7:00 AM for coffee, etc.
Took dog for a 1/2 hour walk in 27 F temps - he loved it!
Took DW to breakfast at 9:00 AM.

I'm going to watch the last round of the Pebble Beach golf tournament this afternoon.:)

DD and her family just left after a long weekend. I'm exhausted, but quite happy. The grandson is sooo busy! DD worked the weekend at a women's retreat at the kid's camp up here. Son-in-law and grandson entertained me all weekend. SIL and I went skiing Friday. Saturday we hung out and today SIL cooked a great breakfast and an awesome cake that we enjoyed before the left for home. My birthday is tomorrow and that is why all the special treatment. This evening I will just enjoy a quiet time by the fire.

Had 50's here today so headed to the ranch for another burn day. Been cutting, hauling and cleaning up the new land I bought. Burn for 8 hours and still have more to do. I measured the spot I'm going to install a 20-foot, round correl. I have about a two ton of iron to haul in also.
I pulled out a patio metal round table and had my lunch outside today. It was an absolutely beautiful day in paradise.

Last edited:
DD and her family just left after a long weekend. I'm exhausted, but quite happy. The grandson is sooo busy! DD worked the weekend at a women's retreat at the kid's camp up here. Son-in-law and grandson entertained me all weekend. SIL and I went skiing Friday. Saturday we hung out and today SIL cooked a great breakfast and an awesome cake that we enjoyed before the left for home. My birthday is tomorrow and that is why all the special treatment. This evening I will just enjoy a quiet time by the fire.

Nice. :)

Happy Birthday. :greetings10:

I have no idea what DH's upper lip looks like - I've never seen it. I've inquired about him shaving the stache off and he declines. Not a deal breaker for me. He grew a goatee over a vacation about 15 years ago - the grayness matches between the two.

DH had a mustache when we met; I'm not sure how long he had it before then but I believe more than 5 years. He was ready to shave it off a few years before he actually did it - we were living in Germany at the time and he was afraid to not match his passport picture while we were traveling overseas so much. A few months after we settled back in the states he called the kids back into the bathroom to watch him shave it off since they'd also never seen him without it. So he had it for at least 20 years.

My dad had a full beard and stache during the 70's. But when the gray started coming in he decided to shave it off. I remember the morning after he had done it (he shaved the night before)... He came out of my parents bedroom at the same time my sister came out of her bedroom at the kids end of the hall.... My sister screamed loudly and ran back into her room. It had been a long time since we'd seen him beardless.

About 15 years later the mustache was getting grayer... He shaved it off. He regrew the beard in all it's grayness when he retired. When he passed he only had a few grey hairs at his temple - kept his dark, full head of hair.

I fully planned to budget this month. Thought just 350 for dining out would get me back on track. I failed. Japanese Friday. Panera for 5 today. Yeah. Budgeting is for those who have more resolve than me. After lunch went hiking

Now watching Olympics

I’ve considered shaving but after 40+ years of a full beard I doubt anybody would recognize me without it. There’s that and shaving every day or two sounds like a lot of w@rk.

I’ve considered shaving but after 40+ years of a full beard I doubt anybody would recognize me without it. There’s that and shaving every day or two sounds like a lot of w@rk.

I still not sure why I shaved. Lol I do like not having to shave around the stache and can just shave. Not having it does nothing for me I plan at some time to grow one back.
I'm scary without it!! Lol

I find shaving to be oddly relaxing and a source of great satisfaction. I use a straight razor.

+1 I have had a mustache for 55 yrs and a beard for 51 yrs. Recently I shaved the sides of my face for a dermatology appt. to check for skin cancer that I have been battling for about 30 yrs. I don't like the looks of a chin warmer so it will all grow back once I get the "all clear". I am already tired of shaving.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom