What did you do today? - 2022 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I plan on spending the day at the ranch. I went a few days ago and it started to rain and freezing and had to get out of there pretty fast. I had to stop twice to scrap ice off of windshield.

Today I will burn a brush pile since the temps and wind are going to be ideal.
DW loves burning brush. There is something hypnotic about it. She can spend hours out there tending it in the snow. Then come in with a sun burnt looking face, soot on her yet all smiles!:)

Yesterday went for a hike, watched the bears lose again, and did some woodworking. Today taking my niece wood shopping for a photo frame I'm making for her.

Took DW for her Prolia shot. Then to Vet to get 6 months of meds for the dog. I'm just the little nurse guy today!

Walked the dogs, ate some leftover pizza for lunch and scheduled a boat look appointment for tomorrow.

DW loves burning brush. There is something hypnotic about it. She can spend hours out there tending it in the snow. Then come in with a sun burnt looking face, soot on her yet all smiles!:)

I like it also. The smell and cold crisp day are awesome!

Split and hauled wood up to cabin. Burning brush and seen turkeys, pheasants and deer all day.

Attachments

• IMG_8603.jpg
    IMG_8603.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_8608.jpg
    IMG_8608.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_8612.jpg
    IMG_8612.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 47
Made cioppino and invited my mother over for dinner.

It was good - darn, I still make good sauce - despite the crab claws that suffer from frostbite by being forgotten in the freezer for too long. The shrimps, mussels, scallops, and calamari were still good and made up for the lousy crab claws.

We removed the builder grade hardwood maple flooring and carpet and except for the kitchen, laundry room and bathrooms, installed Cali Bamboo throughout the entire house. The installers had to level the downstairs slab (cost a few hundred more than the estimate), but the bamboo flooring has held up great against two big dogs playing with their balls and other toys. And our son’s allergies disappeared once the carpet was removed from his bedroom. I have no hesitation in recommending Cali bamboo flooring. Not sure about the quality of products from other manufacturers.
why not in kitchen, laundry, bath:confused: I'm wondering if I should put it in all 3 plus FR

Made cioppino and invited my mother over for dinner.

It was good - darn, I still make good sauce - despite the crab claws that suffer from frostbite by being forgotten in the freezer for too long. The shrimps, mussels, scallops, and calamari were still good and made up for the lousy crab claws.
I had to look that up to see what it was. I bet it was great, but I will have to say I don't believe I ever eat anything like that.

That would be a very elegant meal at my home. We eat great but very simple.

I had to look that up to see what it was. I bet it was great, but I will have to say I don't believe I ever eat anything like that.

It's just seafood soup! :D

^^ I see that and looks good. I never heard of such a thing but like the ingrediencies.

why not in kitchen, laundry, bath:confused: I'm wondering if I should put it in all 3 plus FR

Water and wood don’t mix well, particularly if you have a leak. Wood or bamboo is likely to be ruined. Trying to match wood color after the sun has bleached it for a couple of years could be vey difficult, if not impossible. A contractor friend strongly recommended tile in those three areas, so tile is what we went with in our bathrooms and kitchen. We felt linoleum was ok for the laundry room.

Last edited:
Water and wood don’t mix well, particularly if you have a leak. Wood or bamboo is likely to be ruined. Trying to match wood color after the sun has bleached it for a couple of years could be vey difficult, if not impossible. A contractor friend strongly recommended tile in those three areas, so tile is what we went with in our bathrooms and kitchen. We felt linoleum was ok for the laundry room.
Thank you. The kitchen floor is in perfect condition so I'll omit it and go with my 1st thought. Just family room. Understanding that eventually the family room won't match the kitchen as well as it will at first.

Went to see the boat. I liked it, but wife said it smelled bad. Just like the last boat we saw. And the one before.

Let's see, boats in the winter, not getting used much, shut down for months while people are moving to other states...

Don't think I'll be getting a boat anytime soon. Maybe in the spring? After the storms? I dunno.

It's just seafood soup! :D

^^ I see that and looks good. I never heard of such a thing but like the ingrediencies.

I first had cioppino in 1980 in the Space Needle restaurant in Seattle in our honeymoon trip. I ordered it because the dish looked attractive. Most restaurants in SF and Seattle have this on their menu.

I then forgot about it until 15 years later, when I saw a cooking article in Sunset Magazine about the dish. The photo jogged my memory, and I told myself I could try to make it. And this was the 1st dish I made in my life. Prior to this, the only thing I cooked was ramen noodle. Of course, I have since added a lot more dishes to my repertoire.

Photo from the Web:

cioppino.jpg

Last edited:
Went to see the boat. I liked it, but wife said it smelled bad. Just like the last boat we saw. And the one before.

Let's see, boats in the winter, not getting used much, shut down for months while people are moving to other states...

Don't think I'll be getting a boat anytime soon. Maybe in the spring? After the storms? I dunno.

If you move up another notch to a 50' boat in the $150K range, will it be better?

^ Price isn’t the deciding factor. Smell is. He’ll get the boat if it smells ok regardless of anything else. I can empathize with what Robbie’s going through.

Last edited:
100% correct on the smell. If my young wife thought the boat smelled bad, no way we could get it, regardless of price.

I have no idea what smell we are talking about, but was thinking that a more expensive boat would be better taken care of.

Besides, Robbieb has lots of dough. :)

Had the 1st estimate. He was really nice but the estimate lumped 4 rooms together. He wasn't too happy about resubmitting for just room by room. Stated that when I sign the contract it's just 1 contract for all 4 areas (laundry room, half bath, family room, kitchen w/ breakfast room). Problem is I sort of think its only 2 rooms not 4. Finally convinced him to submit 3: laundry 1/2 bath, family room, kitchen area (decided against latter). Estimators are convinced they know what I need.

Have 2 more tomorrow. Hate this part

Had the 1st estimate. He was really nice but the estimate lumped 4 rooms together. He wasn't too happy about resubmitting for just room by room. Stated that when I sign the contract it's just 1 contract for all 4 areas (laundry room, half bath, family room, kitchen w/ breakfast room). Problem is I sort of think its only 2 rooms not 4. Finally convinced him to submit 3: laundry 1/2 bath, family room, kitchen area (decided against latter). Estimators are convinced they know what I need.

Have 2 more tomorrow. Hate this part

You'll probably get a lower overall price lumping the rooms together compared to separate. Working on multiple rooms simultaneously is more efficient than one at a time.

So you might get quotes where the sum of the 4 rooms is more than the quote you got for 4 rooms together.

I spent 2 hours and 47 minutes on the phone yesterday with USAA, getting insurance quotes. The session ended when the call was dropped due to technical failure on their end, so I’ll pick it back up today. USAA is writing new homeowner policies in Florida, which they had stopped doing for years.

.....USAA is writing new homeowner policies in Florida, which they had stopped doing for years.

Well, there goes my yearly premium rebate checks.

Yep. Gone with the wind...

Ouch! Good one.

I remember when they stopped insuring homes in Florida except for military actually stationed there. Seems like a very long time ago (in the 90s?). So they have apparently decided it makes sense again.

Interesting voicemail today from "Lisa at Fidelity Investments". She wanted to discuss a check that was issued back in November that was returned by the Post Office as undeliverable. Please call this number.

It was one of the best written and most believable junk calls I've ever seen. Of course there was no such missing check (I checked our accounts) and the calling phone number was listed on a couple of scam reporting boards, with many of them mentioning "posing as a Fidelity rep" in the comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom