What did you do today? - 2022 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s right. Toad seemed more likely to blow some dough.

He did have a very splendid motorcar.

There are only two things remaining that came with me from England as a young boy - a battered copy of Wind in the Willows and a golliwog knitted by my nan.

He did have a very splendid motorcar.

There are only two things remaining that came with me from England as a young boy - a battered copy of Wind in the Willows and a golliwog knitted by my nan.

Good choices!

For those who’ve gotten Disney+ for whatever reason, there’s a fun animated double feature: The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad. The first includes the voice of Bing Crosby that stuck with me. [emoji4]

Posted this on NextDoor & got several PMs asking to pick up a bag. [emoji2960]Yeah. I'm not picking them. How should I modify the post? Screenshot_20220114-104342_Nextdoor.jpg

Have a fully restored 1972 Triumph TR 250 motorcycle sitting in my shop. Everything … down to the tires … is just like it was when it rolled off the assembly line 50 years ago. Has fuel with stabilizer in the tank and battery is on a trickle charge.

The posts about motorcycles above makes me want to roll it out for a few miles around town.

“Believe me my young friend, there is nothing – absolutely nothing – half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” -- Ratty
I just read that quote in The Emerald Mile, an excellent book about an epic dory run through the Grand Canyon.

I gathered with the other old retired guys in the neighborhood and watched some workmen pour a concrete foundation for a garage extension across the street. Of course, we shot the breeze while we were watching.

I moved the small excavator onto a new site and we had a good day. last night I helped one of the plumbers with an emergency sewer main repair at his own home. I got home about 9pm after that, and really looking forward to the weekend.

- 6 degrees this morning with a -24 deg wind chill. Still got our 2.4 mile morning hike/walk in with the dog. :) Lots of clothing!

I have been busy playing with my new set of LFP cells. These are Headway 38120 format cells. They are only 8Ah each, but can push 200A continually hence are big and heavy for their capacity. The energy density is 1/2 that of the common LFP cells. They came in a package of 48 cells in a 24V assembly for an unknown industrial application.

I don't have the need for this power (you can drain the cell in 2.5 min and charge them in 5 min), but they come in an industrial assembly that is rugged and convenient to use. In measuring the cells, I found that there was an intermittent connection in a balance lead, and had to take the assembly apart to measure each individual cell. So far, they all measure higher than 8Ah. Perhaps it's the loose connection that caused the assembly to be pulled out of service. I still need to check each of the cells out, because one weak cell can ruin the performance of the whole pack of 48 cells.

I will put everything back when I am through. Everything is bolted together, hence the disassembly is not destructive.

The $/kWh is not that good, but the intention is to use the rugged industrial assemblies as is for a solar app I am planning.

Posted this on NextDoor & got several PMs asking to pick up a bag. [emoji2960]Yeah. I'm not picking them. How should I modify the post?View attachment 41489

If your area has a local "gleaners club", they might come out and pick clean for seniors or low income. You probably have to call them though.

Short grocery run to a different store for some stuff that the "normal store" didn't have or I forgot, mainly lettuce and cucumbers. In preparation for the forecast snowstorm, DW wanted some hot chocolate mix and a can of whipped cream so I got that too.

Her idea of "what to do in a snowstorm" is turn on the gas fireplace and sip hot chocolate with whipped cream and watch the snow come down.

Sounds like a plan to me.

Went to visit my golfing partner that had the stroke last November. He is still in assisted living with minimal improvement (left side paralyzed, blind in one eye).

He's real depressed and can't wait to get out of there. But no one is able to help him at home so it will cost $$$ to do that. :(

Boy, I am so lucky to have great health at 78.I don't know what I would do if I had a stroke like he is suffering from. On top of the stroke, he has lost weight, and he didn't need to in the first place.

It's going down into the 30's F here tonight. Time to turn the heat up!

Last edited:
Just had a very scary incident at our house. The chimney is being recrowned today by a professional chimney repair company. It's in the low 40s with high winds today, so not a fun day for being up on a roof. Suddenly I heard a lot of noise from outside and when I looked out the back door, one of the crew was sprawled face down on the patio. The ladder had fallen (I suspect with him on it) and the other guy was stuck on the roof. I called the main office and they got the owner and called EMS. Before EMS got here, the guy got up and walked to his truck, but they took him to the hospital after evaluation. Fortunately one of the firemen put the ladder back up for the other guy (too big for me to do it on my own). They sent another guy to help get the repair finished. A little too much excitement for my taste!

Just had a very scary incident at our house. The chimney is being recrowned today by a professional chimney repair company. It's in the low 40s with high winds today, so not a fun day for being up on a roof. Suddenly I heard a lot of noise from outside and when I looked out the back door, one of the crew was sprawled face down on the patio. The ladder had fallen (I suspect with him on it) and the other guy was stuck on the roof. I called the main office and they got the owner and called EMS. Before EMS got here, the guy got up and walked to his truck, but they took him to the hospital after evaluation. Fortunately one of the firemen put the ladder back up for the other guy (too big for me to do it on my own). They sent another guy to help get the repair finished. A little too much excitement for my taste!

Yikes!

Down here a few miles south of you the winds are really gusting - up to 50 MPH. Many areas of San Antonio are without power due to downed lines. I'm surprised that company put people on your roof in these conditions.

I've been hunkered down all day today. Reading this forum is always good to consume an hour or two!

Currently - 13mph wind with a -4 windchill. At 8am it was -19 windchill.

Now that flooring is picked up and settled on installer, shopping for barn door kits. That pocket door between laundry & 1/2 bath wins. It can stay permanently closed. Hidden in the wall.

It's not really a 'Blow the Dough' experience because it should come in well under budget.

Hopefully by Friday I'll just be waiting for new cooktop to be installed and looking for furniture. I hear that can cost more than floors

Yikes!

Down here a few miles south of you the winds are really gusting - up to 50 MPH. Many areas of San Antonio are without power due to downed lines.

Yikes indeed! Our winds are gusting to 36 mph right now, which isn't enough to be scary but it sure is a great display of Mother Nature's power. Nothing has fallen down, or broken, at least not yet.

As for what I've been doing all day, well, mostly sleeping? Not sure why I am so sleepy. It's definitely nice to be retired.

........... That pocket door between laundry & 1/2 bath wins. It can stay permanently closed. Hidden in the wall.....

We closed off a door at our place, 1 small bath had 2 doors. It seems larger with just 1 door. It's very small.

Today, could not find the specific Kwikset Tylo Bedroom / Bath Satin Nickel door knobs to match the others in the house. Needed 4 of them. Looked in 4 stores. Came home and ordered on Amazon. :angel:

Don't ask why I did not change them along with the others a few years ago. The 4 knobs are all doors off the hallway, the ones I changed before are in the more public areas of the house. Yeah, that must be it.

Yikes!

Down here a few miles south of you the winds are really gusting - up to 50 MPH. Many areas of San Antonio are without power due to downed lines. I'm surprised that company put people on your roof in these conditions.

My brother-in-law had his house reroofed in the middle of the summer, under the scorching sun and 115F temperature.

The contractor taking the job said he did not mind. Said his guys still had to eat, even when it was that hot.

Makes me appreciate more what I have.

Went and looked at 2 boats today, got into the nitty-gritty of boat deals with the broker. Hauling, through hulls, bottom paint, marine and mechanical surveys, insurance, sea test and the offering process.

Made an offer on a 44 foot trawler.

Went and looked at 2 boats today, got into the nitty-gritty of boat deals with the broker. Hauling, through hulls, bottom paint, marine and mechanical surveys, insurance, sea test and the offering process.

Captain Robbie soon! :cool:

RobbieB that is great, exciting times! Now just wait and see, keep us posted if offer is accepted.

The great loop he he comes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom