What "phase" of retirement are you in?

Hmmm...left the corporate world to be caregiver to mom in my 30s...too busy to be in any 'phase' for the next 15 years...after that focused on getting the kids out of the house...youngest just graduated, so who knows what's next?

I think the reason that the phase thing doesn't resonate with many of us (myself included) is that the video is about phases of retirement rather than phases of FIRE retirement. We're wired differently from most retirees, and are not the target audience.

I think the reason that the phase thing doesn't resonate with many of us (myself included) is that the video is about phases of retirement rather than phases of FIRE retirement. We're wired differently from most retirees, and are not the target audience.

That would make sense.

The speaker was a “Dr.” and, if he was a physician, I can imagine retiring was a big deal to him, since that profession is all-consuming of one’s public identity, provides constant feel-goods from helping others, and generates a high income. It’s a lot to walk away from, I bet.

The speaker was a “Dr.” and, if he was a physician, I can imagine retiring was a big deal to him, since that profession is all-consuming of one’s public identity, provides constant feel-goods from helping others, and generates a high income. It’s a lot to walk away from, I bet.

Nah, he's a Dr via education, not an MD.

Has a background in public speaking and podcasts, and, of course, financial advising. This "4 phases" thing is his main gig...books and workshops!

The speaker is an educator, now consultant apparently. I think once a teacher, always a teacher. He seems to enjoy what he is doing now and I guess that's a trajectory that most of us would shoot for.

His talk will land on each retiree differently I suppose.

I'm betting this is a good gig for the Doc.

:LOL: :LOL: :facepalm:

Went phase 2 thru 4. Lay -off at age 50. After 29 years learning to ER, thinking of retiring from retirement next year buying a tractor and working on "The Farm',

Heh heh heh - ?? City boy driving a tractor and trying not to be 'too' serious. ;)

:LOL: :LOL: :facepalm:

Went phase 2 thru 4. Lay -off at age 50. After 29 years learning to ER, thinking of retiring from retirement next year buying a tractor and working on "The Farm',

Heh heh heh - ?? City boy driving a tractor and trying not to be 'too' serious. ;)

Yep, our toys just get more expensive as we age!:cool:

Don't believe in those phases.

I left it all behind me 12 years ago. Year long vacation. Precovid 4 or five months of international travel.

Never looked back. Very thankful for the work, the opportunities that my employer provided. But...that is in the past.

We live in, and for, the present and the future. Just do what makes you happy. Life is too short as it is.

Don't believe in those phases.

I left it all behind me 12 years ago. Year long vacation. Precovid 4 or five months of international travel.

Never looked back. Very thankful for the work, the opportunities that my employer provided. But...that is in the past.

We live in, and for, the present and the future. Just do what makes you happy. Life is too short as it is.

Good reminder. I consider that my megacorp was better than most so I'm still thankful for it. I recently passed 53 years since starting there but, of course, I've been gone almost 17 years.

So I think in terms of 2 phases. Phase 1: Megacorp to obtain the means for Phase 2: Freedom. YMMV

I am in phase 1 after 2 1/2 years of retirement. Even work feels like play . I keep a steady pace with quite a few interests. Love it.

I am in the stock market hit me in the phase phase. :)
I guess that's phase IV.

Approaching year 18, I went from phase 1 directly to phase 5 - no longer having the need to label any part of my retirement as a phase. :)

Excellent !!

So tired of everything always being laid out.

Maybe for normal retirement folks.
But FIRE folks are generally not in the same boat.
In your 40's and 50's most early retired are not in "Vacation phase" mode just yet.
That comes later. And are still putting the financial plan together for the next
40+ years.
Kind of a part time job actually. If making up the paycheck is 100% up to you.
Not the same thing for many "normal" 60 yr / + old's who retire.
Just an observation.
More like 4, 3, 1 with no #2. lol lol The way I see it.

(side note, have been in the every day is Saturday phase for the past ten years)

Here are the phases, roughly paraphrased:
Phase 1 - Vacation phase
Phase 2 - you feel loss and feel lost
Phase 3 - a time of trial and error, trying out new things
Phase 4 - a time to reinvent and rewire

Last edited:
6 years into involuntary early retirement I'm still trying to figure out if I'm unemployed or retired... though my BS bucket is still overflowing so I'm leaning more toward retired.
Maybe it's just me, but I think c*vid + inflation + near permanent societal upheaval (China just stated they will maintain Zero C*vid policies (lockdowns) for the next 5 YEARS, air travel will have a pilot shortage for a similar period, and then there is the what-shelves-are-bare-this-week/what-are-we-rioting-over-today vibe) that I don't see the phases described in the OP video as relevant anymore.

Yea, the more I think about it this is for folks not in our boat.

Phase 1 - Vacation phase (I got the big pension at 60 what ever, lets party!)
Phase 2 - you feel loss and feel lost (Was a big fish in a small pond, my job made me feel important)
Phase 3 - a time of trial and error, trying out new things (Well, they are getting along without me some how, what do I do now?)
Phase 4 - a time to reinvent and rewire (I am bored, and need to start over to feel important again) lol lol

Probably text book / 35 -40 year employee / normal retirement situation.

I think I am doing this in a different order.

First was Phase 2. I went back to work for 14 months and got over it.
And I think for the past 4 years I have been in Phase 3
I don't know if I will ever feel like Phase 1 because while working, most of my vacations were traveling back to see relatives - so really not much of a vacation.

only retired 2 years so still on phase one. I honestly don't see me myself in phase 2, 3 or 4. I have too much to do to feel lost or loss. I have enough activities to keep me busy to seek out new things, unless they come to me organically. Although, I'm always open to new things that friends suggest as long as they plan it and pick me up when it's time to go. I'm not sure what number 4 (reinvent and rewire) is as i'm too lazy to watch the video. But to reinvent and rewire to me would mean that I wasn't perfect the way I am and as a famous philosophical sailor once said "I yam what I yam"

Pretty much blended 1 and 4 right from the start. Never had a 2. Very quickly found meaning and purpose in travel and photography, which I had been doing, but could now do more, without the irritation and disruption from having to go to w**k.

Back
Top Bottom