What "phase" of retirement are you in?

My biggest WTF is the reinventing yourself step 4. I am perfectly happy as i am, no reinventing myself BS.

Yeah, until you hit "full geezerhood" and watching daytime TV sounds like a good idea eh?

It took me about 3 months to get from Phase 0 ("Am I really retired:confused: I am just as busy!") to Phase 1. Phase 0 happened because I went from travelling for business up until a few days before I retired in June 2018 to traveling in July and August to see other relatives and an overseas wedding (not really "full" vacation), and still getting money from Megacorp thru August. I did not feel like Phase 1 until close to the end of September.

I plan to stay there, with some ventures into Phase 3 (e.g. learning how to swim, take a cruise, etc.). I find there is outside pressure, even subtly, for others than one was to ignore to avoid being mentally "pushed" into Phases 2 and 4. More than a few co-workers still ask me if I still enjoy "do nothing"; some were sure that would start my own consulting/tech support business and/or start a blog/writing/YouTube video channel related to my IT skills.

The only Phase beyond that Phase 1 I know is coming is the "eventual decline in physical/mental agility that makes things less possible/enjoyable/doable" that eventually catches all of us. For that reason I will try to stay in Phase 1 as long as possible :cool:.

P.S. Once one is FIREd I do not understand this "reinvent yourself" stuff... I have already "reinvented" myself to a generous lifestyle with no requirement to work, why change that any further? :)

Approaching year 18, I went from phase 1 directly to phase 5 - no longer having the need to label any part of my retirement as a phase. :)

You stole my reply! Almost 15 years, phase 1 did last a bit more than a year skipped those other phases, went to phase 5, made my own schedule every day and while many would be bored I am doing just fine but then I am a creature of habit. :dance:

We both left at 54 and our Phase 1s were welcomed and lasted exactly as he said, one year.

We both felt a brief Phase two and solved it by finding enjoyable, very flexible PT w*rk that we’re good at and gives a sense of accomplishment helping others. A bonus of having nonprofit careers is you have a skill that remains valuable, in my case, fundraising.

So, Phase 3 and indefinitely. We don’t have kids and all our friends will be working for years to come.

We're all so different I don't see these "phases" applying to everyone (or even most.) I would describe most "phases" in terms of one's health and vigor.

I retire next year, and it will be Phase 1 for awhile. No phase 2.

I'm in phase three, and plan to be there until DD is in college, then we'll see if phase four happens. Phase two was, thankfully, rather short.

Yeah, until you hit "full geezerhood" and watching daytime TV sounds like a good idea eh?
+1, that’s a sad benchmark, but probably true. We never watch daytime TV, and I hope that never changes. My parents never did and they lived to 93 & 96…

I hope I am fortunate enough to live one third of my life in retirement. I was ready for retirement the day I left work and I have not a single regret. This is the greatest time in my life. I am not lost for things (old and new) to amuse myself and I see no need for reinvention. I just enjoy every single day as it comes and I do what I want to do when I want to do it.

+10 I agree totally and live my life the same way.

I started singing in my car as I drove home from work that last day, and haven't stopped. I don't remember a "period of adjustment," nor am I a "rewired person." Almost, I'm pre-phase - I get to be the person I always wanted to be.

Maybe work was the phase.

I'm still working, but I can sort of see my retirement going something like how summer vacation did when I was a kid/teen/college student.
1) That euphoric feeling of total freedom, that lasts a couple weeks
2) Getting bored/feeling like I've lost my way a bit
3) Getting used to the new routine.
4) Sort of a sad feeling that it's coming to an end, and then looking back on it and seeing it went by in a blur.

That's just my take on it. Of course, I'm not there yet. And, YMMV.

Last edited:
Approaching year 18, I went from phase 1 directly to phase 5 - no longer having the need to label any part of my retirement as a phase. :)
+1 It took me about 15 minutes to adjust. For years I would see people rushing to the Metro on weekday mornings and take in that breath of relief a worker feels when he jumps out of bed late for work and realizes it's a holiday.

I've been in the enjoying my life phase since I quit.... I'm not convinced there is another phase.

"Phase 2 - you feel loss and feel lost" - I totally skipped this phase!

As I consider these stages (and yes, of course, these are simply derived from interviews and observations of his...there's never a straight line in these things), it's clear to me that a major part of having gotten stuck in Phase 2 has very little to do about missing my previous work and about 99% due to some extraordinarily challenging issues outside of my control hitting about the same time as retirement time came.

I'm thinking I'll throw us both a new retirement party and just start over...I'd always imagined I'd be in vacation mode for AT LEAST a year, ha! :dance:

And while I know his stages don't resonate or appeal to everyone, I think his framework could be helpful for those not retired yet to consider and be aware of. Not everyone is "out of the gate" euphoric after retiring and there's nothing abnormal or wrong with you if you aren't. It just is what it is. NBD.

I think phase 2 is highly variable.

I always had interests outside of work, so it wasn't a huge loss to give up that one part of my identity. I think these types of cautionary tales are directed toward those whose whole identity is tied to their work. The 80-hour-week folks.

For me, it was hard leaving my "real" life to spend 40 hours in the office each week. Stopping that was not a problem.

For me, it was hard leaving my "real" life to spend 40 hours in the office each week. Stopping that was not a problem.

I understand and agree. Both DH and I have many hobbies and I can't say either of us ever really gets bored b/c there's always something else to do. I'd say for both of us, the challenge has been dealing with unforeseen circumstances out of our control that, nevertheless, have had to be dealt with.

Now that I'm thinking about it, crawling out of those circumstances for us is probably the equivalent of walking away from work for a lot of folks. So, yep, I see a party in our near future!!!:LOL:

I don't know what phase I am in. all I know is I am enjoying every day, doing what ever I wish, even if it is nothing. Nothing is doing something :)
Life is pretty darn good right now.

I don't know what phase I am in. all I know is I am enjoying every day, doing what ever I wish, even if it is nothing. Nothing is doing something :)
Life is pretty darn good right now.

Good point. Even as we age, we want to live longer. Life is precious.

After 22 years, I have no need to share my secrets with others. Let them discover it themselves. The only phase shift was to BTD two years ago. Now deadline scheduling. Planning for another 10 years. And having difficulty making up for lost pandemic time in our travel.

Just got a new cat so we are committed to another 16 years to look after her (2 years old now). If she lives to be 20-22, may have to leave her to someone else along with a $25k stipend.

Never thought about phases of retirement.

But looking at the list, I think I do these 3 things concurrently, starting back from the time I worked part-time contracting jobs and did it for 9 years before quitting for good.

Phase 1 - Vacation phase
[-]Phase 2 - you feel loss and feel lost[/-]
Phase 3 - a time of trial and error, trying out new things
Phase 4 - a time to reinvent and rewire

I wonder if age is a factor in these "phases", particularly Phase 2.

I can envision someone who FIREs in their early 40's to me much more susceptible that those FIREing at, say, 55-60.

In your early 40s, very little of your peer age group is FIRE-ing, and IMHO it is more likely to feel the peer pressure of "do something with your life". It is also more likely to get "bored" with leisure things ("do I really want to be doing this for the next 40 years??")

On the other hand, after 55, one may see enough of one's peer group also retiring, and focused on the leisure side, so one is less likely to feel that pressure. Also, one can more readily recognize that the odds are more likely that they have a max of another 15-20 years at their current health and activity level to experience things, so that becomes the priority.

Back
Top Bottom