What to do with old CDs?

If I want to listen to a song, even one I have in my collection, I can usually just find it on you tube faster than finding it in my online archives.

Yes. It was that realization that made me decide to get rid of them.

I plan to keep my CD collection and my vinyl collection, even though they've mostly been replaced by mp3. Still want the source material, [-]for when[/-] in case hard drives and computers crash...

And get a wind-up Victrola in case the grid goes down. ;)

But seriously, I would feel the same way but I know intellectually that my many backups and offsite backups are much more secure than the discs. Just copy the itunes folder to a thumb drive and mail it to DD, and I'm safe.

But, but, but... What about an electromagnetic pulse, T-Al? That'll take out all your back-ups. Gotta keep those shiny discs!

Seriously, though...

I plan to keep my 700 or so CDs, and the records too. I'm an audiophile, and the only satisfactory digital storage would be uncompressed files. Might as well just keep the disc.

Seriously, though...

I plan to keep my 700 or so CDs, and the records too. I'm an audiophile, and the only satisfactory digital storage would be uncompressed files. Might as well just keep the disc.

I converted my CDs to uncompressed (lossless compression actually) digital format (and slowly some of my LPs). Plenty of advantages. I make backups, and I can pull up any song/album in seconds, and create playlists.

So far I've kept the discs, but someday they'll go somewhere. Technically, I don't think they should be sold or even given away if I've kept the copies. But trashing them would seem like such a waste.

-ERD50

My CD's went out last night, and trash pickup was this morning. They are gone, gone, gone.

I saved the jewel cases for Frank because he says he might want them. How it this downsizing, transferring stuff between the two of us? :LOL: He says it still counts but honestly I don't quite get it.

Back
Top Bottom