What to do with old CDs?

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
This is the perfect example of "Woke up with nothing to do, and by the end of the day, only got half of it done."

I opened these drawers of the antique things called "CDs," and realized I hadn't accessed them for at least a year.

CDs.jpg

I decided I should box them up and put them in the garage, so that we can use the drawers for something else.

I got hundreds of these when emusic had no limits on downloads.

But there are many that I never uploaded to iTunes, so I have to go through them and decide which to transfer.

If I don't open the boxes after a year, I'll toss them.

Any other ideas?

I was about to suggest that you sell them to a used CD store, then realized you are talking about CD-R's. I'm a little embarrassed to admit that when I had a few hundred of these to dispose of, I put my usual environmental concerns temporarily on the shelf, and tossed them in the garbage.

Do you shoot skeet?

CDr's aren't worth a thing. CD's might get a few bucks on ebay. Rare ones can be worth considerably more.

Your local library might take the cd's.

Coincidence... cleaning out the computer stuff, I found I have about 1,000 CDr's with programs and MP3's that haven't been used in ten years... In lieu of eternal life in the landfill, I have begun a a project that I am hoping will eventually help with our energy costs.

Similar to this:

Attachments

• image_fossil2.jpg
    image_fossil2.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 370
I think my shredder can handle CD's. I should check. I know it can handle credit cards.

Thanks for the reminder - - most of my CDs are either ancient software that doesn't work on modern Windows machines, or backups from over a decade ago that I don't need any more. I should really go through them and get rid of most.

If I don't open the boxes after a year, I'll toss them.

Any other ideas?

If they are music CDs perhaps you could gift them to folks as opposed to throwing them out.

-gauss

According to the Salvation Army thrift guide music CDs have a donation value of $2-$5.

OK, phase I completed:

2AV6omv.jpg

Two boxes for the garage, and the two piles on the carpet are for importing in the iTunes.

DW hangs a few on the tree branches over one of her distant flower gardens as a deer repeller. A little wind and sun on them is certainly noticeable and it actually seems to work.
No data yet as to which CD appears to be the most repulsive.;)

DW hangs a few on the tree branches over one of her distant flower gardens as a deer repeller. A little wind and sun on them is certainly noticeable and it actually seems to work.

The ones that have RAP on them.

I have hundreds of music CD's. Listen to them all the time. (Why should "CD" be capitalized)?

CDs? I was just getting around to think about what to do with that box of vinyl LP records!

I just did something thing last weekend while cleaning out some storage rooms. Figured if they hadn't been used in 2+ years, time to go. Turfed the CDRs, kept some of the 'store bought' music CDs. Havn't putchased 'store bought' CDs in, maybe 5 years.

I purged my Zip drives and diskettes last year. Thanks for the tips on CDs. I wonder if craft stores would accept them? My MP3s come in handy in the car player when the iPhone is in use.

Anyone got any MP3s to donate? I will pay the postage.

Put them up for sale here....watcha got?

I'll never give up my CDs, SACDs, or LPs, and am always collecting more!

Note that most of these CDs are like this:

CD.jpg

When eMusic first started up, you could download as much as you wanted to for $9.95 per month. So in one month I downloaded about 250 albums worth, all downloaded as MP3 files.

So, they aren't the conventional, store-bought CDs.

I don't have a list of the albums, but it's all jazz, with a heavy representation of trombone and Dixieland, plus Karin Allyson, Hammond B3, George Carlin, etc.

I got your PM, BBQ, and here's what I'll do: If after 6 months or a year without any need to open the boxes, I'll ship them to anyone who wants them at cost (with BBQNut's right of first refusal).

I'm into jazz big time - are the CDs in the bottom drawer of your picture regular store bought issues?

I'd be interested in those, not so much the MP3 downloads to CD-R.

Thanks!

The ones that have RAP on them.
i'm.here.to.scare.a.deer
so.deer.you.better.fear
if.you.come.near.it's. you.I'm.gonna.steer.
cause. the.reason.I'm. here.
is.so.my.man.can.on.the.patio.sit
and.enjoy.a.cold. beer

Barry Manilow :sick:

Back
Top Bottom