What We’re Smoking (or Grilling, or Curing)!

Smoked and steamed oysters fresh from the boat. Build a nice fire in the outdoor pit. Place a steel plate on top of the fire. Cover the oysters with a wet burlap bag and let the steam open up the shells. Beer and saltine crackers with cocktail sauce and butter. I'll boil some peanuts to satisfy the doubters.

I smoked some oysters in the half shell (that I shucked myself obviously). I thought they came out very nice. I put some sauce on the oyster and then smoked for a while until they became somewhat firm.

DH wasn't as crazy about them. He prefers our grilled oysters which we do - first grill whole, remove top shell shortly before they open, then add a sauce and let then cook a wee bit longer.

One of these days I'm going to do oysters Rockefeller probably on the grill.

With the recent increase in meat prices, we pretty much avoid beef on the grill and in the smoker. As much as I'd like to smoke a brisket or rib roast, they're off our diet.

I did pick up a Butterball brand whole turkey today at Aldi's for $.85 a lb. I figure we can get many meals out of it. I seldom smoke turkey, but it should be good.

I've been holding back a big Boston Butt, and may put it on a new Masterbuilt gravity smoker on Saturday.

Despite living in good barbeque country, I seldom get any great Q since pork's been bred to be the new white meat--too lean. It's nice that our grocery stores carry high quality barbeque rubs and sauces that making grill/smoker cooking so easy.

You should be able to find a meat market that sells heritage breeds of pork raised by local farmers. We have such a place in central GA. World of difference.

You should be able to find a meat market that sells heritage breeds of pork raised by local farmers. We have such a place in central GA. World of difference.

Our county is a huge agricultural city with very large farms and cotton gins within the city limits. It's nothing to see 400 hp tractors, combines and cotton pickers in city traffic. But it's not a place with any appreciable amounts of pigs.

And if you find a farm custom raising beef, he'll be getting $12.50 a pound for steaks and a small fortune for a whole black angus steer. We have few meat processors around.

Prepped the ribeye roast last night and looking forward to grill/smoking it later today! Turkey gets old after a while and we've been mixing it up for the last few years...

Cheers
Big-Papa

Had some fun today for our T-day meal.
Costco had a special on a seven pound turducken roast (sausage-stuffed and bacon-wrapped).

Cooked it in the BGE and it came out wonderfully well.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    516.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    649.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    493.7 KB · Views: 28
Had some fun today for our T-day meal.
Costco had a special on a seven pound turducken roast (sausage-stuffed and bacon-wrapped).

Cooked it in the BGE and it came out wonderfully well.

Looks delicious! Did you buy from Costco store or from online? It looks like Costco has it online although the manufacturer's site said it is out of stock.

Looks delicious! Did you buy from Costco store or from online? It looks like Costco has it online although the manufacturer's site said it is out of stock.

Yes, it was online only. It was in one of the Costco mail flyers last month.

DGF's daughter cleaned out the freezer and gave me a Buffalo brisket.
Wet rubbed with worstershire, salt, pepper, and coriander and smoked over mesquite and charcoal.
Still tough after 6 hours + 3 hours wrapped in a cooler. Flavor was like a mix of beef and venison. Definitely not worth the extra price. Beef is much better.

Since it's just the young wife and me, I only ever smoke a small brisket. You would think it would take less time, but in my experience it takes as much time as a big one. Pretty much from breakfast until dinner, at least. And even then, I usually get out my deli slicer to cut it really thin.

Since it's just the young wife and me, I only ever smoke a small brisket.

Just the two of us here, but when I get a large brisket I normally separate it. Most of the flat gets turned into pastrami, while the point and the rest of the flat are cooked brisket style. Works great for us.

I’ll have to try pastrami one of these days. I have plenty of curing experience from my bacon.

Canadian bacon first though.

DGF's daughter cleaned out the freezer and gave me a Buffalo brisket.
Wet rubbed with worstershire, salt, pepper, and coriander and smoked over mesquite and charcoal.
Still tough after 6 hours + 3 hours wrapped in a cooler. Flavor was like a mix of beef and venison. Definitely not worth the extra price. Beef is much better.

Wow. We eat a lot of bison, and that brisket must have cost a pretty penny. Bison doesn’t have much fat, so that may have affected the taste (and cooking time).

I love smoked meat but the thread title talks about curing so I figured I should shake things up a little around here. So I present an ugly picture of some lap yuk drying on my balcony. Cantonese air dried pork belly. 2-3 days soaking in a mixture of dark soy sauce, ginger, star anise, sichuan pepper, rice wine, and beiju. Then hung to dry for a week before it's ready to use.

A little bit of cold smoke would be good on it but right now my only smoking option is a big propane grill and a basket of wood chips.

Attachments

• lap yuk.jpg
    lap yuk.jpg
    433 KB · Views: 27
In June I leave teaching and retire. But that also means that I'm currently trying to get rid of things because in June I'll have to leave Seoul and head back to the US.

So any experiments in adding cold smoke to lap yuk will have to wait for next fall I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom