What We’re Smoking (or Grilling, or Curing)!

It's brisket day!
Started with a 19 lb. SRF Black American Wagyu packer. Dry brined for 12 hours, then cut part of the flat off to make corned beef (which will become pastrami next week).
Dalmatian rub, then smoked overnight in the BGE.
Many great sandwiches in our future!
I may use the point to make burnt ends (kind of gilding the lily, but ...)

Attachments

• brisket.jpg
    brisket.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 39
Smoked meatloaf, wouldn't have it any other way!

Attachments

• IMG_2817.jpg
    IMG_2817.jpg
    883.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2819.jpg
    IMG_2819.jpg
    906.8 KB · Views: 40
Oh yeah, I had a recent smoke. This is at the start.

Attachments

• C7F528E7-726F-4786-8595-DF2B9AFDA274.jpeg
    C7F528E7-726F-4786-8595-DF2B9AFDA274.jpeg
    150.1 KB · Views: 41
We've been enjoying a wonderful SRF brisket for the last week or so, and today I turned the piece I had cut off the flat into pastrami. Ah, beefy bliss!

Attachments

• pastrami.jpg
    pastrami.jpg
    849.4 KB · Views: 41
Yesterday, I smoked and then braised beef short ribs. We enjoyed them with cornbread, mashed potatoes and coleslaw. ​The woman next door has been out on the other coast with her sister for a couple weeks, so we invited her husband to dinner. I believe he liked it. I sure did.

This morning, I smoked some jalapenos to make chipotles. They are now in the dehydrator to get fully dried before I seal them in a Mylar bag and give them to the same neighbor (since we already have a surfeit of chipotles)

I used apple wood for the short ribs and pecan wood for the chipotles.

Last edited:
Cold-smoked some good Emmenthal cheese yesterday and had some for lunch today. A wonderful enhancement to any sandwich. We're big cheese eaters and always looking for something out of the ordinary.

A whole chicken will be roasted in the egg today.

Pork shoulder rubbed with sage, thyme, paprika, and citrus adobo. Smoking with hickory chips and charcoal.

Also smoking a pound of kosher salt while I'm at it. Going to smoke salt with hickory, mesquite, and cherry. Jar them up and give them out as Christmas gifts.

Last edited:
Going to smoke salt with hickory, mesquite, and cherry.

Nice idea. Do you smoke the salt hot or cold? And does it make a difference?

The best smoked salt I've ever tasted was labeled as cold smoked, but I don't know if it really matters.

Nice idea. Do you smoke the salt hot or cold? And does it make a difference?

The best smoked salt I've ever tasted was labeled as cold smoked, but I don't know if it really matters.
Warm. LoL.
My smoker is just a Weber Kettle. The salt goes in a shallow pan as far from the heat as possible. Mix it every hour or so. Picks up a good amount of Smokey Goodness.

Tried to pecan smoke Olive Oil, it didn't pick up much flavor though. Anyone have luck smoking oils?

I finally smoked an HEB 100% grass fed brisket this weekend. An unbelievable amount of fat dripped out of that brisket after I wrapped it in butcher paper. DH spent a lot of time licking the goodness off the wrappings. Brisket was still very juicy. Delicious. The point was amazing. Will probably stick with this beef as my go to.

Attachments

• 07D9F70C-8178-451C-A57F-7589F819B392.jpeg
    07D9F70C-8178-451C-A57F-7589F819B392.jpeg
    157.9 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Brisket looks great.
I'll have to try doing one again. My only previous attempt was disappointing.

Brisket looks great.
I'll have to try doing one again. My only previous attempt was disappointing.
To learn I watched the BBQ with Franklin series on brisket. I only do brisket about once or twice a year so I usually have to watch the tutorial on trimming the brisket each time.
I use a whole packer.
Simple salt and coarse pepper is the traditional rub.
I have a Traeger pellet smoker, and I smoke it at 250 until it gets well into the stall. Then I wrap it in uncoated butcher paper and finish in the oven at 275 until done. Toothpick test as well as temps generally 201 or so.
Wrap some more and in a towel to sit in a cooler for at least an hour to rest.

Mine have come out good and generally the result is determined by the quality of the beef. I don’t use prime+ because this long slow cooking technique is designed for less marbled meat IMO and to me beef flavor is more intense with choice grade meat.

To learn I watched the BBQ with Franklin series on brisket. I only do brisket about once or twice a year so I usually have to watch the tutorial on trimming the brisket each time.
I use a whole packer.
Simple salt and coarse pepper is the traditional rub.
I have a Traeger pellet smoker, and I smoke it at 250 until it gets well into the stall. Then I wrap it in uncoated butcher paper and finish in the oven at 275 until done. Toothpick test as well as temps generally 201 or so.
Wrap some more and in a towel to sit in a cooler for at least an hour to rest.

Mine have come out good and generally the result is determined by the quality of the beef. I don’t use prime+ because this long slow cooking technique is designed for less marbled meat IMO and to me beef flavor is more intense with choice grade meat.

I use a very similar process to the one that Audrey used. My rub is S&P with a little garlic, onion powder and paprika. I inject the beef bouliion before I start and then after I wrap it in foil when it gets to the stall at 165 F. I smoke at 225 F using oak and mesquite logs and then transfer the wrapped brisket to the oven at 250 F . My last 2 briskets have turned out great with this method. Yes, I lose some of the crispness of the bark by wrapping the meat, but it is more than compensated for by the juiciness of the finished product. Now if brisket wasn't so damned expensive in Canada.....

I finally smoked an HEB 100% grass fed brisket this weekend. An unbelievable amount of fat dripped out of that brisket after I wrapped it in butcher paper. DH spent a lot of time licking the goodness off the wrappings. Brisket was still very juicy. Delicious. The point was amazing. Will probably stick with this beef as my go to.

Nice looking smoke ring on that juicy brisky!
Bought two bone in pork butts to through on the WSM smoker this weekend. Love me some Carolina pulled pork sammys.

I smoked a rack of baby back ribs for dinner today, and they were fantastic! I tried a few new things that I think are a great improvement over my previous attempts.

After removing the silverskin, slathered the ribs with Dijon mustard, then put the dry rub on (standard brown sugar, salt and herbs/spices) and let sit for an hour. Smoked with apple wood at 225 deg. for 2 hours. Then wrapped tight in foil with some butter and honey, and put back in the smoker (no smoke) to braise in the foil for 2 more hours at 225. Finally, unwrapped and painted on barbecue sauce, put back in the smoker (with smoke) for 30 minutes at 225.

I would have to say these were the best baby back ribs I have made yet. Sliding off the bone; smoky but not overpowering; with a nice sweet undertone that was not cloying; and a nice bark. Served with polenta, cole slaw and a good bottle of zinfandel

Last edited:
Making me hungry for ribs.

I smoked 4 whole trout yesterday. 3 of them were quite large. I like my new technique of smoking trout whole. I do cut the heads off before brining just to have more space in the brine bucket. After smoking it’s quite easy to debone the whole trout while leaving the skin on.

Last edited:
We had been smoking the seasoned St Louis ribs from Costco, slicing off as much fats as possible and also removing the membrane on the back of the ribs prior to putting on our Traeger smoker.

Yesterday we decided to smoke 3 racks of baby back ribs instead, just because they are leaner. Smoke setting (about 170 degrees) on the Traeger for 4 hours, wrapped in foil and put into the oven at 250 for 2 hours, unwrapped the foil for another 30 minutes. We like our ribs dry, so no sauce. They turned out well.

Pork Butt on the Bighorn pellet stove (aka poor man's Traeger) for Thanksgiving.

It takes at least 9 - 10 hours on the settings I use. I actually have to set an alarm clock to start cooking dinner....

The 12 pound, 6 dollar turkey will be smoked in the egg Friday the 26th.

Smoked and steamed oysters fresh from the boat. Build a nice fire in the outdoor pit. Place a steel plate on top of the fire. Cover the oysters with a wet burlap bag and let the steam open up the shells. Beer and saltine crackers with cocktail sauce and butter. I'll boil some peanuts to satisfy the doubters.

Smoked and steamed oysters fresh from the boat. Build a nice fire in the outdoor pit. Place a steel plate on top of the fire. Cover the oysters with a wet burlap bag and let the steam open up the shells. Beer and saltine crackers with cocktail sauce and butter. I'll boil some peanuts to satisfy the doubters.

Sounds interesting. I've only eaten oysters on the half shell, but that we do a lot. I have my own shucking knife and glove, and we'll pick up a dozen about once a month just to have with a fish dinner at home. I love fresh Blue Points from Long Island Sound, Wellfleets, and Pemaquid oysters when we're up in Maine.

Back
Top Bottom