Where to relocate to - warmer, urban-cultural, affordable, walkable?

Bellevue - thanks for the correct spelling.

The weather is definitely less of a shock moving there from England, rather than from Austin :)

If they like sushi, I Love Sushi in Bellevue was a great sushi restaurant. I miss being a regular there, but I guess my wallet is happier for it, heh.

I cringed when I saw RTP and walkable together. Midpack hit it right.

Charlottesville might be one to consider, not sure if it's urban enough for you, and I don't really know what apartments are like near downtown. In this area I might actually look at Staunton ahead of Cville. It's even smaller, but I have a couple favorite restaurants near a Shakespeare replica theater downtown so I wind up there more often. I'll bet there are a lot of <100K towns like that, that aren't as urban and don't have as many options, but might work well. Given the reality that you may not find anything that matches all criteria, it's a matter of what you are willing to compromise on.

Cities in Florida, Arizona do not seem like they would fit the bill - maybe I am wrong.
Any recommendations, thoughts, suggestions?
RA

You should take a look a Sarasota ,Fl. They redid the downtown and it's loaded with sidewalk cafes , jazz clubs & art galleries . There is a very active arts community . Prices in downturn depend on what you want but they are more affordable than other areas . It also has beaches ,boating and all things outdoor . The bad part is it is really hot June to October .

We lived the Dallas area and wasn't too bad for the 8 months you referred to. They've also got some rail lines going through town that are convenient to go to the "city". You may look at McKinney or Allen or Plano...rent is very reasonable and you can get around easily via DART rail / bus. NO income tax there...

Well, this will be day 65 over 100 degrees, after 40 in a row, ending a couple of weeks ago...

If you live in just the right place, there are "walkable" neighborhoods in Dallas and the burbs, but overall it's car/freeway/tollroad hell...

We moved to the eastern mountain of Albuquerque. Albuquerque gets a little snow in the winter, and a hot day in the summer is 90+. But it's a dry heat! There are plenty of microclimates where the weather is 10 degrees cooler (like the east mountains). Lots of galleries, friendly people, lots of biking and hiking trails. Santa Fe is about an hour north. Easy access to the Four Corners, Arizona and Colorado.

I've heard that Albuquerque is a wonderful place to retire. Lots to do and a reasonable cost of living.

As for Charleston, SC and most of the south for that matter, there isn't much focus on walkability. And as noted, if you wanted to walk around, it would be downtown in the historic district, and that is mobbed with tourists.
Weather is nice, hurricanes are not too often, and you can always go to the mountains if you get tired of the beach.
If I was moving south from some cold climate, I'd probably look at Greenville SC the hardest. It is relatively cheap compared to other retirement destinations, has a decent downtown area, and a surprisingly frisky arts community.
But we'd still love to have you in Chucktown, just be aware of the need to mosey on up the highway every now and again during hurricane season.

As for Charleston, SC and most of the south for that matter, there isn't much focus on walkability. And as noted, if you wanted to walk around, it would be downtown in the historic district, and that is mobbed with tourists.
Weather is nice, hurricanes are not too often, and you can always go to the mountains if you get tired of the beach.
If I was moving south from some cold climate, I'd probably look at Greenville SC the hardest. It is relatively cheap compared to other retirement destinations, has a decent downtown area, and a surprisingly frisky arts community.
But we'd still love to have you in Chucktown, just be aware of the need to mosey on up the highway every now and again during hurricane season.

If DW would go with the idea, I would have no problem uprooting in the next couple years and move to the Greenville area. I think it would be relatively easy (she has 25 years in cost accounting, mainly in manufacturing, and my uncle and aunt live there. My business would be a little dicier, I would no doubt lose some clients that want me to be available and local, but I can run my business from anywhere. We'll see. An added bonus would be that my sons who love baseball and football could play almost year round.........:)

I've heard that Albuquerque is a wonderful place to retire. Lots to do and a reasonable cost of living.

FWIW, I've been to Albuquerque many times on business trips, and it was always very windy, and therefore dusty. Based on that alone, I don't think my wife and I would like living there.

FWIW, I've been to Albuquerque many times on business trips, and it was always very windy, and therefore dusty. Based on that alone, I don't think my wife and I would like living there.

Visiting a place often really opens one's eyes to things like this. I have only driven through Albuquerque once, in 1977 (coping with a u-haul trailer that got a flat tire about 20 miles before Albuquerque, and then continuing on as soon as possible). So, I can't really say that I've seen the town at all.

When we were looking for another retirement location, Albuquerque didn't make our "top three" list, for some reason. I've forgotten why it didn't. We did consider it but didn't visit any but the top three.

Last edited:
@W2R
Yeah, I agree. One really needs to visit areas mutiple times and during different seasons. FYI, based on my multiple visits, I've found that San Diego has only two seasons; warm and pleasant, and warmer and pleasant.:)

It snowed the last two times I drove through - over Christmas Holidays on my south Sierra Vista, San diego, Vegas.

heh heh heh - :D

@W2R
Yeah, I agree. One really needs to visit areas mutiple times and during different seasons. FYI, based on my multiple visits, I've found that San Diego has only two seasons; warm and pleasant, and warmer and pleasant.:)

And yet, of all the many places where I have lived, San Diego was my least favorite. I guess I just prefer a smaller town, with lower cost of living and more humidity in the air. That dry air was so hard on my skin. The thread originator might love it, though. Thank goodness we all aren't looking for the same things (or that place would sure be crowded). ;)

It snowed the last two times I drove through - over Christmas Holidays on my south Sierra Vista, San diego, Vegas.

heh heh heh - :D

Well, maybe it would be too cold for the thread originator, then.

And yet, of all the many places where I have lived, San Diego was my least favorite. I guess I just prefer a smaller town, with lower cost of living and more humidity in the air. That dry air was so hard on my skin. The thread originator might love it, though. Thank goodness we all aren't looking for the same things (or that place would sure be crowded). ;)

Interesting. My wife and I have friends there and have visited multipe times, although never for longer than a week. We've always felt that we wouldn't mind living there (as opposed to L.A., where I don't think we would be very happy).

In any case, we like our small town in Northern California just fine and have no plans to relocate.

Interesting. My wife and I have friends there and have visited multipe times, although never for longer than a week. We've always felt that we wouldn't mind living there (as opposed to L.A., where I don't think we would be very happy).

Perhaps so. Frank and I each independently vetoed the entire state of California when we were thinking of places to retire. (Nothing against California - - between the two of us, we also vetoed probably a dozen other states.) There are other states that interest us more.

IBWino said:
In any case, we like our small town in Northern California just fine and have no plans to relocate.

That is tentatively where we stand with regards to New Orleans. For the present, we have no plans to relocate. However we are leaving the door open and could always change our minds again.

W2R, I guess if you need humidity for your comfort, you found the right place. Tampa area is probably not much different relative (pardon the pun) to humidity. We do play golf any day we want but always tee off by 8AM and done at noon. About this time every year I start looking forward to October. To me that's what Florida is all about. The great months, October, November, December, (January can be chilly), February March, April and May. At least those are the months I like. This area is considered the sub-tropics whereas my son in Naples is in the tropics and he loves that. To each his own.

Cost of living ?

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: There's one of a million reasons for us! It's a good one, but just scratches the surface. All in all I guess that (having both lived in California), like many others we just happen to find we would much prefer to live someplace else.

Isn't it wonderful that retirees have so many options? :)

And yet, of all the many places where I have lived, San Diego was my least favorite. I guess I just prefer a smaller town, with lower cost of living and more humidity in the air. That dry air was so hard on my skin. .

Wow, I live in the Bay Area but SD would be at the top of my list. DD is in college there.

I've also lived on the East Coast and in the Mountain states and think that I would be ok anywhere BUT

- I give everywhere except coastal California one strike for weather, and
- I give everything east of Denver an additional strike for humid summers

I hate hot, humid summers.

W2R, I guess if you need humidity for your comfort, you found the right place.
That's for sure! :LOL: I'm the one who likes the humidity. I'm not sure he does, but he will tolerate it here.
JOHNNIE36 said:
Tampa area is probably not much different relative (pardon the pun) to humidity. We do play golf any day we want but always tee off by 8AM and done at noon. About this time every year I start looking forward to October. To me that's what Florida is all about. The great months, October, November, December, (January can be chilly), February March, April and May. At least those are the months I like. This area is considered the sub-tropics whereas my son in Naples is in the tropics and he loves that. To each his own.

October is heavenly here, too. Still, we wouldn't appreciate it nearly as much had we not been through the heat of the summer.

Wow, I live in the Bay Area but SD would be at the top of my list. DD is in college there.

That's nice to have her relatively close to you (although I admit that California is a big state).

mb said:
I've also lived on the East Coast and in the Mountain states and think that I would be ok anywhere BUT

- I give everywhere except coastal California one strike for weather, and
- I give everything east of Denver an additional strike for humid summers

I hate hot, humid summers.

Great! Then you are in the right place for YOU.... so be happy there! I'll leave you the whole state to enjoy. :)

Like all states California has some nice aspects, I admit, in this case scenery, wildflowers, and tidepools. It's just not a state that appeals to me overall.

Back
Top Bottom