Where to relocate to - warmer, urban-cultural, affordable, walkable?

Thank you all for the great suggestions. We will drive to the west coast next month onwards and try out some of these places that you have suggested.

@meekie: Thanks. We will now research San Diego too

@IBWino, @omni550: Portland weather might be a concern but will check it out

@TexasProud: Yes, I should have written that as a criteria, good Public Transportation

@REWahoo: Thanks. Austin is also now high on our list. The last time I visited, wasn't too walkable, but could be that we were in a more suburban location

@FinanceDude: We have never been to Charleston, is it diverse enough? Will look into it

@Lisa99: Thanks for the info on findyourspot.com. Will be spending some time on that. I do look at the Walkability Score, will see how I can find those walkable pockets. I too have found that the Walkable areas end up being unaffordable in an otherwise reasonably priced city

@DblDoc: Somehow we eliminated the Seattle area because of the rain/wet climate, but will research Bellevue

@kcowan: Will be trying some of these places soon enough

@Packman: We would like to manage with one car and only use it occasionally and walk or take public transport most of the time (to enjoy the outdoor/ambiance, get in better shape). Colorado might still be too cold, although a lot better than Chicago.

More to follow.

Without being nasty- I might worry about the Cultural/intellectual diversity of some of the places mentioned- especially compared with Chicago. We have New York friends who took health care jobs on a large metro major health center... Other than the intellectual challenges at work for example at their kids sports games, etc they have to bite their tongues and listen to the enthusiastic blather about some pretty stupid stuff...

Here's a map of the US with a different view of recommended places to live, based on a single attribute. I've been resisting for a couple of days but can't hold back...The Price Of Weed in the US | The Big Picture

Knew there was a reason some member hangs out on a cool soggy NoCal coastline. Which reminds me to check on the growhouse special sale..

re Albuquerque wind: The spring (April-May) can be very windy, but the other season make up for it. Right now we have the afternoon monsoon electrical storms, followed by double rainbows. The cloud formations can be stunning too.

There is no perfect place. Everyone has their own list of "can't live with this, can't live without this". For us it was humidity - hate humidity. My hair could never live in Austin, I would be so depressed having flat hair all day long!

I have to admit that except for the cost of living and the vast number of people I enjoyed my short time in London and NYC... both had very good cultural things to do, both had great public transportation, both had decent weather most of the time (did not like the winters, but if I was retired I would think about being a snow bird)...

Another place that I visited that seemed nice was Paris (but was never there in the winter).... and Madrid (again, not during winter)... I would think Paris is very very expensive, but Madrid might not be.... to bad I do not know the language... well, thinking about it, most of Europe is cold during the winter... so maybe not a great place...

I have heard that Italy is also a great place, but have not been there so can not comment...

I would also seriously look at Australia and New Zealand... I think either of these would be a great place to stay from what I hear....

I would also seriously look at Australia and New Zealand... I think either of these would be a great place to stay from what I hear....

I visited Australia in the mid-90s and enjoyed my time there very much. But I seem to recall discussions with locals that led me to believe that immigrating there was complicated. I would definitely like to return there and spend more time than my first visit, which was only ten days.

Here's a map of the US with a different view of recommended places to live, based on a single attribute. I've been resisting for a couple of days but can't hold back...The Price Of Weed in the US | The Big Picture

Almost every day I'm surprised and delighted by the quality and variety of the education I receive from this forum. :cool:

Lisa, I agree 100%. Hilarious, Michael, simply awesome and hilarious. :D

Note that Charleston compares very favorably. :cool:

And for the OP's question about Charleston--I'm not sure what sort of diversity you mean, but if it means do we have a lot of Yankees around, yep, we do. They are alright, for the most part. :LOL:

I visited Australia in the mid-90s and enjoyed my time there very much. But I seem to recall discussions with locals that led me to believe that immigrating there was complicated. I would definitely like to return there and spend more time than my first visit, which was only ten days.

I have heard the same... but I also read of a retiree who would spend 6 month in Australia and 6 months in NZ.... rinse and repeat.. you do not have to immigrate to be able to stay 6 months out of a 12 month period (from what I understand)...

You can also throw in a few trips to other locales if you wish...

I have heard the same... but I also read of a retiree who would spend 6 month in Australia and 6 months in NZ.... rinse and repeat.. you do not have to immigrate to be able to stay 6 months out of a 12 month period (from what I understand)...

You can also throw in a few trips to other locales if you wish...

Interesting, thanks for the tip. Not sure my wife would go for something like that, but she's all for an extended visit once I'm FIRE'd.:)

Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data, ability to repeat discredited memes, and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Also, be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor even implied. Any irrelevancies you can mention will also be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous.

:LOL:

I have to admit that except for the cost of living and the vast number of people I enjoyed my short time in London and NYC... both had very good cultural things to do, both had great public transportation, both had decent weather most of the time (did not like the winters, but if I was retired I would think about being a snow bird)...

Another place that I visited that seemed nice was Paris (but was never there in the winter).... and Madrid (again, not during winter)... I would think Paris is very very expensive, but Madrid might not be.... to bad I do not know the language... well, thinking about it, most of Europe is cold during the winter... so maybe not a great place...

I have heard that Italy is also a great place, but have not been there so can not comment...

Not discounting your suggestions at all, I've visited and enjoyed several you mention, but would the financial situation give you pause (ESP Spain & Italy)? Looks pretty desperate right now, though admittedly we have our own substantial issues...

Not discounting your suggestions at all, I've visited and enjoyed several you mention, but would the financial situation give you pause (ESP Spain & Italy)? Looks pretty desperate right now, though admittedly we have our own substantial issues...

Not if I were retired.... I would not be expecting a lot from the gvmt besides the normal type of services that would probably not be cut as much... IOW, I would not be on their dole...

I just don't think I could be in a country where I could not speak the language... and I can not learn another language... that part of my brain died a long time ago and the other parts are not interested in taking up the slack...

I loved Australia and was ready to move when we visited. But things are changing like in the rest of the world. I know someone who went for a job and they are finding rents and real estate very expensive, and like most countries the social systems are under a tremendous amount of pressure. Things like health care, pensions, and problems associated with immigration that we hear about in Europe are also becoming problems there.

But to live near Surfers Paradise... it would be heavenly.

I think out west for the most part walkable areas are going to be confined to small downtown areas. The availability of land caused cities to spread out. But some of the downtown areas are very nice. I've heard good things about Portland in that regard. Lots of smaller cities have similar areas, but you might end up living outside that area and have to drive to it to enjoy the walkable area.
This is true. As Texas has pointed out, the only truly walkable place in US is NYC, and maybe Boston/Cambridge MA, and SF. In other large cities people do go carless, but they mooch a lot.

I hate to drive, and I live in the most dense residential area in Seattle. Seattle is a fairly old (pre-car) city, but other than a few routes, bus or light rail service is awful and is getting cut as we speak. I can do daily chores, medical visits, clubs, bars and library walking, but if one is to have any friends outside of a few contiguous neighborhoods and downtown, plan to spend a great part of life on busses. And plan on having much of that not very pleasant from a social POV.

Also, I can't imagine anyone who has lived in a good climate coming to the NW for weather. If you are considering it, better be depression proof.

Ha

Last edited:
Cost of living is horrendously expensive in Australia. Real Estate prices have gone thru the roof, you have to remember there has been no GFC in Australia. Getting a rental property is extremely competitive and in cities like Sydney and Melbourne you would probably pay well over $500 a week for a one bedroom in the city and that is not going to be a spectacular property.

Melbourne soars up expensive cities list

As to the living in Australia question, if you over are 45 you probably won't get a skills based visa, you would be looking at the retirement visa which is based on $s you can bring to the table.

Retirement Visa (Subclass 410)

I loved Australia and was ready to move when we visited.
But to live near Surfers Paradise... it would be heavenly.
*Ahem.*

Instead of going all the way over to Australia, you could choose to live in surfer's paradise.

The Navy obligingly let us explore the whole world to find out where we'd like to live. San Diego ain't bad for a company town, but there's a reason that we ended up in our particular company town.

While South America fared well during the GFC and real estate has skyrocketed, You can still find rents at about half your budget (in major cities), good weather, cosmo atmosphere, European Cultural feel, easy for PT or resident visa's (No taxes) on retirement income, you can qualify if you have incomes of $1500.00 a month.

We looked at Punta del Este in Uruguay. Great climate. Only one bad month (August is foggy and rainy). Same latitude as Capetown and Sidney. No hurricanes or earthquakes. And you can live in a new hirise condo on the beach or go north a few miles to Beach cottages.

We looked at Punta del Este in Uruguay. Great climate. Only one bad month (August is foggy and rainy). Same latitude as Capetown and Sidney. No hurricanes or earthquakes. And you can live in a new hirise condo on the beach or go north a few miles to Beach cottages.

We are considering it as well as Montevideo! Medellin,Col has great transportation, Weather and reasonable cost of living as well, however no beaches!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom