Who has a quiet NYE planned?

LRDave

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We side-stepped a couple of party invitations for a quiet evening at home. I bet we are not alone in making this choice.

Plan to go have a pizza and cold one with a few friends early. But that's it. Watch a football game or movie tonight.

About 15 years ago we bought a 1 bedroom timeshare in Banff. We are there every year...sometimes our week falls on Christmas but it is mostly New Years.
We have been here since Sunday and the weather has been beautiful. We bought a nice steak, mushrooms and will make baked potatoes and a tossed salad. Shortbread cookies after dinner and a nice log in the fireplace tonight.

I am so glad we bought this place...we used to do a nice dinner out but Banff is packed this time of year and the restaurants are too overcrowded. We have settled into a nice routine of walks, morning swims, simple meals and good companionship to see the new year in.

We leave for home Thurs and our youngest son and his girlfriend are coming up to enjoy 3 days in the mountains to finish up our week. A great purchase then...although I would not recommend anyone buy a timeshare today.

Wishing all my friends here a happy New Year and great plans for a good retirement.

We are staying safely at home.

I will probably watch the ball drop on Times Square, on my TV. I might be multitasking by playing video games on my portable console.

F plans to be operating his ham radio for at least part of the evening. I imagine that he'll probably walk over here (next door) at around midnight. :)

We don't drink, so that simplifies NYE.

Staying home......DW will fall asleep watching football game with me by 9:30 PM. The dog and I will try to run out the year together, but, like last year, we failed about 11:00 PM. However, it's midnight back east by 11:00 PM here so no big deal! :LOL:

I'm just sitting at home by myself. I don't have TV to watch the festivities so I will probably be in bed by 10:00-ish.

Currently at IAD on our way back to Florida after visiting Vermont for a week for the holidays. We had a nice visit but glad to get out of the snow... I snowblowed our yard twice over the last 36 hours and helped DS retrieve his car stuck in the snow 150' from the house at 12:30 am this morning. Enough!

We should be settled back into our condo by 10 pm or so and we'll likely have a snack and a drink before bed. Not sure if we'll stay up late enough to watch the ball drop or not. Whatever.

Not so quiet early, watching the grandkids until 8. But after that, TV (not New Years stuff) with DW and the pups. May or may not notice when midnight rolls past.

Quiet in that it's just the two of us, but noisy because it's out.

The Melting Pot near us does a NYE special menu, with "free flowing" champagne. So we'll be tuck into our curtain-drawn booth doing lobster fondue in about 3 hours.

After we Uber home, then it's PJ's on the couch with a movie until I fall asleep around...oh 10:30 probably!

Currently at IAD on our way back to Florida after visiting Vermont for a week for the holidays. We had a nice visit but glad to get out of the snow... I snowblowed our yard twice over the last 36 hours and helped DS retrieve his car stuck in the snow 150' from the house at 12:30 am this morning. Enough!

We should be settled back into our condo by 10 pm or so and we'll likely have a snack and a drink before bed. Not sure if we'll stay up late enough to watch the ball drop or not. Whatever.

Snowblowed your yard? Why would anyone do that. I have lived in snowcountry for 40 years and never seen that.

Caught a terrible cold from the plane ride returning after visiting family. Definitely very quiet tonight. But New Year's Day is always a bigger thing with me anyway, and hoping to start it again by birding along the Atlantic tomorrow morning.

We were planning on going to First Night but I'm running a 102 degree fever so that's out. Will stay in and catch up on the Country Music documentary.

Walked down to the town centre at 4 to meet up with my BIL where we had a 2 or 3 drinks at a couple of pubs chatting with friends before walking to my sister’s place at 6 for snacks and a natter. I walked back home at 8pm and will be in bed by 11 as usual. Clear skies, no breeze, frost forming, lovely way to end the decade.

thinking about drinking a diet cola and taking ol blue to watch the potato drop at the state capitol tonight - woo hoo!

I snowblowed our yard twice over the last 36 hours and helped DS retrieve his car stuck in the snow 150' from the house at 12:30 am this morning. Enough!

I’ve never heard of this. When you snowblow the yard where does the snow go?

Snowblowed your yard? Why would anyone do that. I have lived in snowcountry for 40 years and never seen that.

I've heard that some people do that so their dogs will have a place to run and "go". They don't clear the whole yard though.

We'll just stay home. Had our fill of noisy NYE parties. Might even stay up 'til midnight but not counting on it.

Walked down to the town centre at 4 to meet up with my BIL where we had a 2 or 3 drinks at a couple of pubs chatting with friends before walking to my sister’s place at 6 for snacks and a natter. I walked back home at 8pm and will be in bed by 11 as usual. Clear skies, no breeze, frost forming, lovely way to end the decade.

Is that like a Natty light?:LOL::LOL:

I keed, I keed....... I worked for a British MegaCorp for about 7 years and traveled to Blighty quite a bit (see what I did there?...:LOL:), which expanded my vocabulary (especially slang) quite a bit as well. I occasionally use the slang I learnt at that time in our lives in everyday conversation - DW finds it so clever and funny that it causes her eyes to roll back in her head temporarily.

It’s finally just the two of us after a very hectic Xmas week. I don’t stay up until midnight anymore. We’ve a very nice bottle of bubbly chilling in the fridge.

Still getting over a cold, so just a quiet evening with DW.

A beautiful Wagyu A5 steak for a special treat, with twice-baked potato and some wonderful aged Gouda and Brie for dessert. Washed down with good Belgian beer, Chimay for me and Framboise for her. Doubtful we'll make it to midnight.

New Years Eve afternoon - best time to go see a movie. Come home, read, watch TV, a little bubbly with DW and zzzzzz

Is that like a Natty light?:LOL::LOL:

I keed, I keed....... I worked for a British MegaCorp for about 7 years and traveled to Blighty quite a bit (see what I did there?...:LOL:), which expanded my vocabulary (especially slang) quite a bit as well. I occasionally use the slang I learnt at that time in our lives in everyday conversation - DW finds it so clever and funny that it causes her eyes to roll back in her head temporarily.

It's amazing how quickly the lingo returns. :)

However, I got talking to an old guy in the pub tonight who had spent a lot of time in the small pit town I grew up in. (About 35 miles north of us here). He couldn't believe I was from there because of my accent these days. I was at full stretch trying to understand his accent and had to get translations from time to time from my BIL, who also grew up there. So embarrassing to have to keep turning to him to ask what was being said :)

Yes a quiet evening. Between hockey games and watching Airport (1970) on the Premium channels which are free over the holidays. Turkey leftovers for dinner!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom