Who has a quiet NYE planned?

DH and I are home and our older son stopped by. We are not a drinking family at all, but I have some egg nog with brandy in it that is quite enjoyable! We are watching Anderson Cooper and Andy Cohen in Times Square.

We tend to stay home on NYE. I don’t like crowds or drunks and I don’t want to be out on the road when many other people are driving impaired. Yeah, I’m a lot of fun.

Like a few others here (W2R, I’m looking at you) I look forward to wrapping up my 2019 spreadsheets and starting new ones for 2020. Party On!

Reactions: W2R
yup. stay home, off the roads, watch the ball drop, fireworks on tv, share a midnight smooch, salute the flag and hit the sack. during my career i worked nearly every NYE, sometimes the day shift but usually the PM or overnight watch.

the quietest NYE we ever had was, oddly enough, Y2K. none of our systems were connected to the net so no worries there and we fixed all of the "00" problems (as a side note i did an interview with NBC news about how vulnerable our 9-1-1 system was to Y2K but the segment never ran presumably because there was zero chance of it failing). what we were worried about was the telco system crashing when everyone decided to lift their handsets at the same time to see if there was a dial tone. thankfully the messages we and the telcos had been sending worked. i arrived at the center around 11:30pm to find a lot of bored 9–1-1 operators sitting idle. between 11:30 and 12:30 when i left we had less than half a dozen calls. normally, especially between 12 and 12:30 we would have fielded dozens of calls (500,000 people in 12-towns, 12 police depts, 15-fire depts and fire protection districts).

to prepare the chief, my boss, had me purchase sleeping bags (to hold over staff), portable generators (in case the grid went down and our backup genny failed to start), food, plastic plates, utensils, bottled water, yadda yadda yadda. i ordered it all put away...open nothing! i was planning to return it all on January 2nd. wally took everything back but the food.

Had planned to go downtown to watch one of Pennsylvania’s many objects that are dropped on NYE. A headache all day derailed that plan. Felt better in the evening but not well enough to go out in the cold.

Watched DS live stream snowboarding at a local ski resort where they had fireworks at midnight, so that was fun to watch. Also watched the NYE events on TV. Had a tiny glass of Becerin I brought home from Turin last summer, and a smooch with DH at midnight. The Becerin blew the low carb out of the water.

For Y2K we bowled until 3AM. That was ridiculous fun. DS was 7.

I spent New Years Eve playing poker with 3 beautiful ladies Not a bad way for this old buffalo to start of the new year. :biggrin:

Cheers!

DH and I went to a New Years Eve party last night downtown with a live band, dancing etc. We did not get home until 2 AM. We had a great time. We are age 68 but we still know how to party!!

Happy New Year everyone.

We went out to lunch, movie and then to our favorite cheers bar. We were home by 7. Watched TV in bed until we fell asleep with the dogs. At midnight the fireworks from downtown woke us up even though it is a mile and a half away. Sometimes we go to our backyard to watch them.

We went out to lunch, movie and then to our favorite cheers bar. We were home by 7. Watched TV in bed until we fell asleep with the dogs. At midnight the fireworks from downtown woke us up even though it is a mile and a half away. Sometimes we go to our backyard to watch them.

I slept in the basement with earplugs in so the fireworks didn't wake me up.

We went out for dinner and dancing with a DJ on NYE with a group of friends.

My wife and I prefer a quiet romantic evening together.

I would tell my wife that "I love her MORE than any man on earth who can ever love his woman".

That is usually enough to get her in the mood...and we have a very happy new year together.

PS: Happy wife, happy life.

We closed on our out of state retirement home That day band were exhausted with the whole process. Just went to sleep in a nearby motel. One more month until we officially move. Hope we make it.

Back
Top Bottom