Why I Hate Colder Climates

And exhausting. Fun, but very tiring. Also, take an avalanche course before you venture out into the mountains on snowshoes or skis. Our intuitive understanding is not really enough to be safe, and you really do not want to get avalanched.

Ha

I am employed and have small kids, so all I have time for is occasionally playing hooky in the foothills. No avalanche risk to speak of.

Some day I will find the time to do a week long hunting and backpacking trip in one of the wilderness areas in the Colorado Rockies. Will need to find companions for that adventure.

More people in the world die from cold than heat. And unless you like winter sports, it has been shown to be unhealthy to sit around the house not getting enough exercise...people have a tendency to be more active in the warmer months...

Not around here! :) People pretty much limit their exercise to gyms or home gyms during the warmer months, here. There are a few diehards who run in the heat, but they are few and far between because the vast majority just cannot do it. Runners run on the indoor tracks in the gyms, as do walkers who also walk in the malls sometimes.

Besides, the heat makes a person feel indolent. Just watch an old black and white movie about the South - - people sitting around, fanning themselves and lolling about on the verandah. Before air conditioning, people used to sleep on second floor balconies or roofs to try to catch a little breeze so they could sleep.

Last edited:
There are a few diehards who run in the heat, but they are few and far between because the vast majority just cannot do it.
We used to run, early morning, in Riyadh, year round.......but there's almost zero humidity in that part of the country.........I recall a guy who worked in Jiddah, (on the Red Sea, where's it's HUMID), saying that, "In the summer there...you can run a mile...period".

It's hard to play golf indoors, or kayak, or surf indoors. Or in freezing temperatures. I'll take being outside in hot weather any day.

DD and I both have this instinctive cold weather shoulder hunch no matter how warmly we are dressed; we know spring and warmer weather is here when we find our shoulders are relaxed.

Last edited:
Yes. Or seeing everything transformed overnight by the year's first snowfall. It's beautiful, peaceful, and makes one very appreciative of having a warm home.

I love the mornings we have hoarfrost! It is fascinating, almost other-worldly.

D_Hoarfrost_3.jpg

I found the strange silence of winter surprising and unexpected - no dogs barking, no bird sounds, and no insect sounds and snow seems to act as a natural sound absorber.

Not just seems -- Believe it or don't, snow is an insulator (the fluffier, the higher the R-factor), and hence, a sound absorber. That's why it works for igloos. :D

Tyro

Winter is great. It kills the bugs.

and there's no motorcycles, 2 things I don't like in addition to heat and humidity. It's cool and comfortable not hot, humid and sweaty. I spend more time inside from June to late September than from November to late February and I don't do any winter sports. It's been nice and cool here, below normal for a couple of weeks. We had 1 +20F and 1 +17F morning and many in the 24-26 range. I heat with a woodstove and this is the best time of the year because it just gets colder with each passing week. :dance::dance::dance: I wish the temperature would not go above 40 until mid March and every night would be at least 25 or colder.

I've already been daydreaming for about a month about leaving here to go to a warmer place. I just can not stand it when it drops below 50 degrees. I will plan on hibernating for the next 5 months as much as possible. I will try not to think about my electric bill increasing from ~$40/mo to ~$140-$250/mo thru April. I dread everytime I need to leave the house. It makes no difference how many layers I put on it's still cold and uncomfortable. Is it May yet:)

and there's no motorcycles, 2 things I don't like in addition to heat and humidity. It's cool and comfortable not hot, humid and sweaty. I spend more time inside from June to late September than from November to late February and I don't do any winter sports. It's been nice and cool here, below normal for a couple of weeks. We had 1 +20F and 1 +17F morning and many in the 24-26 range. I heat with a woodstove and this is the best time of the year because it just gets colder with each passing week. :dance::dance::dance: I wish the temperature would not go above 40 until mid March and every night would be at least 25 or colder.
When I was on active duty, guys like me were happy that guys like you volunteered to go to places like that... so that we wouldn't have to go there.

Hawaii's population is 42% Asian. Could that be the reason for their overall longer life expectancy?

Hawaiian consumption of Spam is also high. Could that be also a factor? :angel:

And about the Minnesotans, their long life could be due to the consumption of lutefisk. Just sayin'... :angel:

Now, suppose you combine the two in a dish. Oh la la.... Everybody could be a centenarian. :angel: :angel:

Last edited:
I'll give you this. Hawaii has the greatest life expectancy of all states in the US of A. But then again, Minnesota is a close number two. Go figure.
Hawaii's population is 42% Asian. Could that be the reason for their overall longer life expectancy?
Yeah, unless you're Hawaiian. Broken down by race, Hawaiians and other Pacific Islanders have some of the world's highest per-capita percentages of obesity and diabetes. For the rest of us Hawaii residents, skin cancer is up there. Even hepatitis B.

One of the longevity effects is the year-round outdoor lifestyle. (No seasonal affective disorder here.) However the main longevity factor is racial from the Japanese (particularly Okinawan) heritage.

Hawaiian consumption of Spam is also high. Could that be also a factor?
I'm sure that's part of a paleo diet, although I'm not sure which part of the paleo goes into a can of Spam...

Somehow, it does not surprise me that the native Hawaiians have some problems similarly to the native Americans. Something about genetics, I guess.

Anyway, Spam has all of the "paleo", I think. Come on! The cavemen could not afford to be choosy. So, Spam is the whole meal deal, most likely much less than what cavemen ate.

PS. It then must mean that the Okinawans lift up the entire island statistics. Amazing!

PPS. Who's to say that the paleo diet is good? What's the proof? Cavemen did not live to 100, right? Of course they succumbed to the saber-tooth tigers and the mammoths long before that ripe old age...

Last edited:
?..
Hawaiian consumption of Spam is also high. Could that be also a factor? :angel:

Which happens to be made in, and by a company based in Minnesota!
Perhaps Minnesota is striving to take the #1 slot from Hawaii :angel:

Somehow, it does not surprise me that the native Hawaiians have some problems similarly to the native Americans. Something about genetics, I guess.
Anyway, Spam has all of the "paleo", I think. Come on! The cavemen could not afford to be choosy. So, Spam is the whole meal deal, most likely much less than what cavemen ate.
PS. It then must mean that the Okinawans lift up the entire island statistics. Amazing!
PPS. Who's to say that the paleo diet is good? What's the proof? Cavemen did not live to 100, right? Of course they succumbed to the saber-tooth tigers and the mammoths long before that ripe old age...
By "genetic" it's a combination of taste buds and insulin resistance. Once you've started the "typical Western diet" then it's really hard to get excited about fish & poi.

I'm assuming that the cavemen ate everything but the "oink", too-- also assuming that's what actually goes into the Spam can. It's yummy, so I don't look at the nutrition label or ask too many awkward questions. The excuse for its local popularity is that it doesn't require refrigeration and helps after the hurricane while HECO is trying to put the electrical grid back together.

I agree with the paleo issues, and I'll let you know the results of my research in 50 or 60 years. I'm not a paleo fanatic but I've certainly benefited from cutting back on the carbs & grains.

Which happens to be made in, and by a company based in Minnesota!
Perhaps Minnesota is striving to take the #1 slot from Hawaii :angel:
Kind of ironic, considering that Minnesota has much more natural refrigeration than Hawaii will ever possess...

Last edited:
I go outside and play every.single.day. I garden, I play with the dogs, I feed the chickens. When I lived up north and had to stay inside because it was so cold and miserable, I considered it wasted time. I hated having animals, because I hated going outside to have to take care of them. I hated being cold, I hated the snow, I just hated.hated.hated. So I moved to Florida, and there hasnt hardly been a day where I couldnt slip on flip flops, tee shirts and shorts, or when it was cool, sweats, and still play outside and do what I want to do. Outside. No more wasted days.

I hated wasting days.

Some of the most fascinating things I LIKE about winter are...
The patterns of frost that form and spread across the vertical plexiglas panels on my outside porch.
The miniature ice crystals that grow on the edge of my front step railings are really cool when viewed with a magnifying glass.
A certain kind of snowfall that acts like tiny prisms and sparkles brilliantly on a sunny day.
The row of 30' pine trees along 1 side of my property look fabulous when frosted with a light snowfall or a thin coating of ice.
The cascades of ice waterfalls that form on outcrops of shale along the highway.

Then it is January...and February...and cabin fever sets in :(

Last edited:
I think there is a time in your life when winter is great. After that, you become a snowbird. Skiing is free in Utah if you are 65+. I remember saying Wow I'll be back when I was 30 something. Never been back though in the winter.

(Typed from PV in front of a fan!)

I am with kramer and Nords. Leave winter to the norsemen!

We have lived in the cold climates over 30+ years and decided to move to the West Coast when we retire in about 5 years. As mentioned by others, we have to put up with the ice, snow, chilly wind, dryness in the winter and mosquitoes,heat, and humidity in the summer. Fall is pretty but short. The weather right now is 19 degree F, windy with snow on the ground. There are not too many outdoor activities in the winter other than cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, and ice-fishing. If you enjoy solitude, you can always walk in many of the empty parks if paths were cleared of snow and ice. Most of the times the roads are plowed and deiced but still be slippery. Thus, driving in the winter could be hazardous. Travel time is least double or triple during a storm. Winter is tough for the roads, bridges, buildings, houses (driveway, windows, heaters) and cars and thus requires additional maintenance and repairs. The bottom line is that the winter in Minneapolis, MN is long and harsh, with six months of temperatures well below freezing and plenty of snow. However, one could still find good things in the winter, i.e., fireplaces, absence of mosquitoes and tornadoes, no yard work, outdoor sports (skiing, ice hockey, ice fishing, snow tubing) and the Winter Carnival. Despite all these "good" things, we prefer to live in a milder climate where you can walk in the parks, ride a bike, watch the flowers, sit outside to eat, play tennis, and so on.

Back
Top Bottom