Why move to Florida?

Can't stand those folks who move to a place and then claim it for their own: "Don't come here, we're full". Pretty f*ing entitled, if you ask me.

For us; we raised our kids in the Upstate NY area (Albany). They ended up in Buffalo and Phoenix. We checked out some potential retirement cities (Seattle, Austin, New Orleans) and Denver checked all the boxes. We do ski so there's that. No ocean but the folks are friendly; we enjoy the music scene and that's huge here - keeps us young and around people (Both young and our age) that enjoy the same bands as us.

DW and I have just as many friends at our snowbird place in FL as we do at home in OH. Having our own place in FL facilitated the friends as everyone is an owner and so see the same people each year. Some friends that is their permanent home, and they may head north in the high heat of summer for a couple months. We just got back from going down there for a week and it was fun seeing friends there. We have no issues making friends even if we only bought the place 2 winters ago.

Grew up and lived in S.E. Michigan my entire life. Me and DW always thought we’d go south (Tennessee) in retirement. However, now that we’re retired, we have no good reason to leave. Our two daughters have settled down here and one daughter has the grand kids. DW is also caring for her mother who is in a memory care place near us. Add life long friends into the mix and we just can’t imagine leaving.

Winter here isn’t too bad and I don’t mind the time to settle down for a few months. Face it, people in hot climates stay indoors only at a different time of year. We also have very good healthcare here (University of Michigan) and a good amount of basic healthcare options very close to our home. I also don’t mind that Michigan doesn’t have a lot of critters that I wouldn’t want to deal with like snakes (poisonous), big bugs, alligators . . . I’m sure there are better places to live but home is hard to beat.

Don't go to Florida just because it is the "in" thing to do. Live where YOU want to live. I would love to spend half the year in Florida and half the year home in Wisconsin. I hate Winter in Wisconsin but i'm sure I would not like Summer in Florida much better. It would be better than Winter in Wisconsin but still not good. I can still ride my bike if it is 95 and humid but i'm not riding my bike in zero degree whether or on ice or snow. My family is what keeps me in Wisconsin for now. After my parents are gone I may move south, maybe. I have no close friends so that is not a factor in where I live. Bottom line, do what you want not what "everyone else" is doing.

aaron I was in the same boat as you I hated the cold and snow in Wisconsin, So when both my parents passed I moved for a job to Louisiana and summers are hot and humid but I can deal with that over winter from mid November till late April I don't miss and even remember getting snow up there in mid May but once I retire I'm moving again to either Florida or Texas as I'm not giving any state any more state taxes especially out of my retirement income.

Don't go to Florida just because it is the "in" thing to do. Live where YOU want to live. I would love to spend half the year in Florida and half the year home in Wisconsin. I hate Winter in Wisconsin but i'm sure I would not like Summer in Florida much better. It would be better than Winter in Wisconsin but still not good. I can still ride my bike if it is 95 and humid but i'm not riding my bike in zero degree whether or on ice or snow. My family is what keeps me in Wisconsin for now. After my parents are gone I may move south, maybe. I have no close friends so that is not a factor in where I live. Bottom line, do what you want not what "everyone else" is doing.

I personally do not know anyone moving to Florida. I know folks who live there and like it and they have boatloads of money so that buffers a lot.
I left Wisconsin 30 years ago. The winters and mosquitoes were enough for me.
I live in the Rocky Mountain West. Summers are hot, but dry. Winters tame compared to the Upper Midwest and no bugs.
I found my tribe. Active, outdoor, outgoing. I think that is important.

These days you also have to think of the politics unfortunately going south may suit some people, others not so much.

I totally agree, and many of them drive slow...

Well, they must be crashing into each other because our auto insurance rates are through the roof. Up over 40% in 3 years for less coverage, higher deductibles, and lower mileage.

And they won't be buying auto insurance from Farmers because they announced today they are leaving the state completely as State Farm. Dumping homeowners policies and auto policies. 100,000 homeowners are going to be looking for a new homeowners policy in the middle of hurricane season. Bu-bye!

Anyone seen our governor campaigning in their state? Tell him things are falling apart at home!

Last edited:
Well, they must be crashing into each other because our auto insurance rates are through the roof. Up over 40% in 3 years for less coverage, higher deductibles, and lower mileage.

And they won't be buying auto insurance from State Farm because they announced today they are leaving the state completely as State Farm. Dumping homeowners policies and auto policies. 100,000 homeowners are going to be looking for a new homeowners policy in the middle of hurricane season. Bu-bye!

Anyone seen our governor campaigning in their state? Tell him things are falling apart at home!

It appears to have been Farmer's, not State Farm.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/2023/07/11/farmers-insurance-pulls-out-of-florida-angering-patronis/

"TALLAHASSEE — Farmers Insurance Group announced Tuesday that it would no longer write new policies or renew existing homeowner, auto and umbrella policies, affecting about 100,000 customers, a day after Florida Chief Financial Officer Jimmy Patronis threatened to take action if it did."

It appears to have been Farmer's, not State Farm.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/2023/07/11/farmers-insurance-pulls-out-of-florida-angering-patronis/

"TALLAHASSEE — Farmers Insurance Group announced Tuesday that it would no longer write new policies or renew existing homeowner, auto and umbrella policies, affecting about 100,000 customers, a day after Florida Chief Financial Officer Jimmy Patronis threatened to take action if it did."

Thank you for the correction. That's good news because my neighbor just had a part of a tree tear off the corner of his roof and he has State Farm. He is struggling to get a reasonable payout but having to go look for a new carrier now, or in the near term, would be awful.

Not picking on Florida but, any warm state.

I get that it's warmer but ….

Why leave where you grew up or where you have friends, etc?
Besides snow, I don’t have any issue living in the North.
I have family and friends up here and wouldnt trade
that for an HOA somewhere, even if it had a private beach.

I guess I am in the minority.
😃

Well, we moved instead to Hawaii. It's never cold (unless you climb a mountain) and it is rarely hot. (Sort of Goldilocks kinda place.) Full disclosure: For "perfect weather" you pay a price. It's definitely HCOL. Having said that, it is Retiree friendly. Low state taxes IF you get most of your money from pensions/SS. Low real estate taxes for everyone.

The other side of the coin, as most here know, we spend about 1/3 of the year where we both grew up. So, family and friends are only 5000 miles away about 2/3 of the year. YMMV

I've lived in Illinois for about 85% of my life. I don't find it too unbearable. We get 4 seasons. Financially, retirees have it pretty good except for LTCG and dividends (and RE taxes). Half of our immediate family is here along with all of DW's sisters, nieces and nephews. I have no interest in Florida. Nice place to visit though, back when our kids were young and my folks lived there. I guess I'll be staying here for the duration. Our current plan is we'll likely move into a retirement community in a couple of years unless something changes our minds. We're flexible, planning-wise. Not so much physically.

Florida? Not for me. Too much rain and humidity, and no mountains.
It gets hot here, but it's a dry heat, as they say. :LOL:
It matters to me, never having the sweat dry off is no bueno.

Barely snows here and does not stick for long? Check.
Crowded and a lot of traffic? Nope.
No ocean here, but mountains, lake, river more than makes up for it, and I never liked laying around at the beach anyway.

Lived in and around Chicago for a long time when I wore a younger mans clothes. Imho winters were way too harsh, and summers too humid. We will stay here in our out of the way part of the Golden State. I'm not going back to Los Angeles either. Good weather but way too many people.

I like to ride my ebike and i'm not going to do that in a place that gets constant pop-up thunderstorms like Florida so I guess the southeast is a better option. California is too expensive so maybe south Arizona where there is no snow in the Winter.

Looks outside the LA or SF metro areas, and California may not look so expensive. Lots of houses here in the $200k - $300k range and more if $400k is in your budget. At that pint you will be looking at a real nice place.

AZ gets really hot and really cold too, but seems like a lot of that depends on elevation.

We were thinking about moving to Florida for retirement before retirement. In retirement, we figured that Florida is good for winter, but bad for summer. Our current place is the opposite. Why move? In addition, we like to travel, it does not make a difference as to where you travel from. Adding that I become lazy after retiring and moving would be a real work. So at least at this time, we don't plan to move to anywhere.

............. we like to travel, it does not make a difference as to where you travel from. Adding that I become lazy after retiring and moving would be a real work. So at least at this time, we don't plan to move to anywhere.

I am about an hour drive from BFL airport. Which means I would need 3 flights to get to where my grandkids live. It was a lot less time and 2 flights when I lived near LAX. So being near an air travel hub might help.

Ah, yes. Mountains AND Ocean! That's why I love Hawaii. Humidity is only a problem when the Trades die.

I am about an hour drive from BFL airport. Which means I would need 3 flights to get to where my grandkids live. It was a lot less time and 2 flights when I lived near LAX. So being near an air travel hub might help.

OK. Moving to the next door of your grandkids would help.

OK. Moving to the next door of your grandkids would help.

Moving to follow grand kids can be a "fools errand." :cool: Your kids will probably move and leave you in East Pastoria. We've seen this among friends who tried to follow their kids (grand kids.)

When I told people we were retiring to New Hampshire, they though we were nuts. Didn't fit the profile of New Yorkers moving south, especially Florida.

First off, we really had no immediate family or friends living nearby where we were in NY. Most cousins and nieces and nephews were 1 1/2 to 2 hours away. My husband's siblings are deceased and I have one brother who snowbirds between Florida and NY. We barely saw them anyway. Both sets of parents were long dead.

We lived in a rural area in NY, whereas everyone else we knew stayed in urban or suburban areas close to where they grew up. We didn't want that.

When retiring we chose New Hampshire, which was the runner up to Vermont where we always had vacationed each summer (again- not fitting the profile of expected beach vacations most chose). We love Vermont! But we do not like the politics in Vermont or New York, or the high taxes.

Then there was the fact that our only child lives in New Hampshire (single, 35 years old now). He went to college there and never came home. Property taxes cut in half. Auto and Homeowners insurances are so much lower. No income or sales taxes. Nice independent vibe politically. Nice and green- second most forested state in the country.We like the seasons. We had to have mountains plus water. No flat landscapes for us!

History all around us. That colonial vibe. And a nice, small state.

Yeah we hate extreme heat and humidity- hence no Florida- and when summer comes here we live up the road from the biggest lake in the state (and many more lakes surround us) and we have an HOA pool. And yeah- we hate extreme cold - but our homes are heated and we have coats! Pick your poison I say!

As for snow- I don't get the hatred for it, except maybe if you are still working and have to shovel your way out and drive in it. In New England you learn to embrace it. Lots of activities you can do- or stay in by a warm fire with a hot toddy. Christmas isn't the same without it either!

No way would we give up the beautiful Fall season either.

Found a brand new build one level cottage that we actually could afford- $274,000 in 2019. Moved in 2020. Made friends immediately despite the pandemic. Like a 55+ community but not age restricted. Low monthly fee ( just went up to $180 from $150). They take care of the tiny lawns, plow the private road, clubhouse, activities and pool, trash.

It's a vacation area so we really do always feel like we are on vacation. Everything we need is close by-medical, restaurants, shopping, theater, etc. Our son lives and works a little over a half hour away.

Got involved with locals in organizations also. Hubby took up fishing and also joined a sportsman's club here like he had in NY.

Also we are 1 1/2 hours from Vermont, Maine and Massachusetts since we are in the central part of the state. Can't beat that.

Have more a a life now than we ever did in NY when we were working. Couldn't be happier.

So yeah- no Florida for us, but moving to New England was a great move.

Last edited:
When I told people we were retiring to New Hampshire, they though we were nuts. Didn't fit the profile of New Yorkers moving south, especially Florida.

First off, we really had no immediate family or friends living nearby where we were in NY. Most cousins and nieces and nephews were 1 1/2 to 2 hours away. My husband's siblings are deceased and I have one brother who snowbirds between Florida and NY. We barely saw them anyway. Both sets of parents were long dead.

We lived in a rural area in NY, whereas everyone else we knew stayed in urban or suburban areas close to where they grew up. We didn't want that.

When retiring we chose New Hampshire, which was the runner up to Vermont where we always had vacationed each summer (again- not fitting the profile of expected beach vacations most chose). We love Vermont! But we do not like the politics in Vermont or New York, or the high taxes.

Then there was the fact that our only child lives in New Hampshire (single, 35 years old now). He went to college there and never came home. Property taxes cut in half. Auto and Homeowners insurances are so much lower. No income or sales taxes. Nice independent vibe politically. Nice and green- second most forested state in the country.We like the seasons. We had to have mountains plus water. No flat landscapes for us!

Yeah we hate extreme heat and humidity- hence no Florida- and when summer comes here we live up the road from the biggest lake in the state (and many more lakes surround us) and we have an HOA pool. And yeah- we hate extreme cold - but our homes are heated and we have coats! Pick your poison I say!

As for snow- I don't get the hatred for it, except maybe if you are still working and have to shovel your way out and drive in it. In New England you learn to embrace it. Lots of activities you can do- or stay in by a warm fire with a hot toddy. Christmas isn't the same without it either!

Found a brand new build one level cottage that we actually could afford- $274,000 in 2019. Moved in 2020. Made friends immediately despite the pandemic. Like a 55+ community but not age restricted. Low monthly fee ( just went up to $180 from $150). They take care of the tiny lawns, plow the private road, clubhouse, activities and pool, trash.

It's a vacation area so we really do always feel like we are on vacation. Everything we need is close by-medical, restaurants, shopping, theater, etc. Our son lives and works a little over a half hour away.

Got involved with locals in organizations also. Hubby took up fishing and also joined a sportsman's club here like he had in NY.

Also we are 1 1/2 hours from Vermont, Maine and Massachusetts since we are in the central part of the state. Can't beat that.

Have more a a life now than we ever did in NY when we were working. Couldn't be happier.

You've made a good case for your choice. It's not for me, though I thought NH was stunningly beautiful when I visited. BUT, the snow and cold are a complete turn off in my old age. No way could I shovel a drive way or dig my way out of a snow bank. Not gonna happen - but, enjoy!

DW and I have just as many friends at our snowbird place in FL as we do at home in OH. Having our own place in FL facilitated the friends as everyone is an owner and so see the same people each year. Some friends that is their permanent home, and they may head north in the high heat of summer for a couple months. We just got back from going down there for a week and it was fun seeing friends there. We have no issues making friends even if we only bought the place 2 winters ago.
I feel the same way Chevy. The best of both worlds.

Awesome - and well said.
We also moved to New England - from NJ. Not a dramatic move but most of our friends in NJ went South - to the Carolinas or most of them to Florida. So - folks were surprised when we picked coastal New England.

It's been great - super close to the ocean - I'm looking at it now. Great fishing. Sure it gets hot for a few weeks and some humidity - but it doesn't last.
Winters are relatively mild near the water - I don't shovel. Last year they plowed the driveway twice. Our community is more or less a retirement community - but no age restriction and there are a few young families. Otherwise it's beach access, boating, tennis, pickle ball, community events. A great foodie scene in town. Now if I could find a cure for fog...lol

We like winters in the NorthEast although ours are mild compared to Vermont - but we will likely go south to see friends for a few weeks each winter, or travel as we are planning this coming winter.

My wife and I are watching the news on the massive heat wave down south and are happy we are not down there. Neither of us like heat.

So -for us we are happy in New England and will occasionally visit Florida.

Heh, heh, here is one thing that we hadn't thought about when we decided to live 8/4 (months in the Islands/months in our Old Homestead.) People in both places realize our time is short and instead of thinking "we can get together with them anytime) we are now more "popular" than we used to be! Who would have thought it?

I seriously considered moving to Florida. I like heat and humidity, and love the idea of afternoon storms rolling in every day. I like subtropical birding and vegetation.

But - I am one who has been convinced that climate change is here and will severely impact Florida. The succession of hurricanes was eye-opening. I closely follow issues of sea level rise. Even though I wouldn't be living at the water's edge, I do not see how anyone will escape the escalating costs of mitigation. Water treatment and sewerage plants are having to be completely relocated. Roads and bridges have to be raised. Beaches rebuilt, replenished, protected with walls or dunes. Public buildings have to be repaired. A fair amount of this money comes from US federal taxpayers, but a substantial portion from Floridians. No state tax but property taxes? Sales taxes? I know there are fees on tourists that help too.

And overall the looming issue of insurance. Farmers Insurance just pulled out of Florida. If I understand correctly, Citizen's Property Insurance, the state-run insurer of last resort is taking on a larger and larger number of property owners. I see that Citizen's will be requiring ALL policyholders to also take out flood insurance, even if they don't need it. And I *think* I read that all policyholders are on the hook for storm damage; basically those at less risk subsidizing those at more risk (which makes sense if the state is trying to discourage anyone but the most desperate from using the state insurance). And I also just read that all policyholders of ALL insurance companies in Florida can be hit with a special assessment if the state fund begins to run dry. Somebody correct me here, as I don't think I have all the details right.

I was just flying into Ohio last week, and my seatmate was someone who had lived in New Jersey, Ohio, and most recently Florida, and she said the congestion had increased exponentially and the atmosphere there was very "edgy."

Love the idea of subtropical living, though!

Back
Top Bottom