Why I Hate Colder Climates

Speaking of temperature in Hawaii, and as I just spent a week there...

This was our 4th visit. The first 3 times we stayed in a hotel, and had the A/C running. This time, we exchanged our timeshare for one in Kona, and had a nice suite. However, the A/C would have cost extra (something like $15/day), and I thought we would not need it, hence did not have it turned on.

The 1st night was a little tough. The temperature was in the high 70s, and the humidity was low as it actually does not rain that often in Kona, compared to Hilo which is the wet side. Still, I just came from the arid SW, where it was in the 60s and very dry.

The next night, my wife suggested that we slept with the glass doors open, and just latched the screen doors. See photo below. Either due to the wide open doors, it cooled down a few degrees, or I got used to it, I slept better.

It was nice to sleep with the large glass doors open, and with just the screen. Surprisingly, bugs were few, and mosquitoes were non-existent, just like my SW area.

img_1254965_0_aa3626daa749dc4996a4f428bbc27179.jpg

Last edited:
Gecko!

A colorful green one about 4" long on the patio railing.

Still, bugs are so few that it's surprising these geckos do not die for lack of food.

img_1255661_0_9ef6c5ba7284951c88b84454f947e71a.jpg

Well, I finally have time to chase deer this weekend and it looks like the cold and snow are coming in. Daily highs in the 20s and Saturday could see a half a foot of snow or more. Should be interesting.

Back
Top Bottom