Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-04-2021, 06:38 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It doesn't sound like you are the type of person (at age 31) that would be happy just traveling and enjoying life for the next several decades or more. If that is correct, then you need to find something you can be passionate about, and then devote your energy to it. There are countless things you could do...........perhaps join one or more environmental organizations that are devoted to protecting the environment? With your backgound in climate change issues, that might be a good fit. The field of climate change itself is huge right now........no end to the possibilities of being involved with some aspect(s) of planning for that, including alternative energy sources, alternative crops that are better suited to a changing climate, etc, etc..

You are obviously a pretty smart guy..........give it some serious thought, and I'm sure you will come up with something to pursue that will provide a challenge and utilize your talents.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Your purpose /mission after FIRE
Old 05-04-2021, 06:54 PM   #22
Confused about dryer sheets

Your purpose /mission after FIRE

Harlax......You are young enough to change your mind about retirement 6 times in the next 5 to 10 years.

Why not leave your options open to "fun jobs", serious loafing or travel or whatever.

Try to stay in shape both physically and mentally. Don' t stop growing!

Keep us posted on how things go.
rb460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:05 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

To have a great time!

Travel was high on our priority list, and still is.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:18 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

My purpose of FIRE is not to work.
flyingaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:26 PM   #25

Unfortunately, I never found my passion. I enjoyed working and enjoyed making money, but it was not my passion. I doubt at 60 I’m going to find it now. In the absence of my passion being found, I’ll just go with being. Being is very liberating. I just am doing what I do when I decide to do it. I’m happy to support certain charities and that’s about as purposeful, mission driven as I’m going to be right now.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:28 PM   #26

Your purpose/mission after FIRE?

10 months in and Iíve set a goal to determine how severe my newfound allergy to commitments and obligations is. It might be seasonal but right now it feels pretty chronic.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 04:33 AM   #27

Quote:
Travel.

Quote:
My only remaining purpose/mission is to have as much fun as possible
My purpose now is to see as much of the country and the world as I want to, and to capture it through photography. Last month I hit a major bucket list item with a visit to The Wave in Arizona. It took me 5 years to get the permit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0749fb.jpg (880.3 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0760fb.jpg (829.3 KB, 62 views)
Old 05-05-2021, 06:33 AM   #28
Confused about dryer sheets

Thank you for all your replies. It really gave me some good insights and advice. I really appreciate it.

It made me realize that being FI doesn't mean that I have to RE. I have always told myself that it was important to RE, escape the rat race, and be free. I just somehow expected that I would be "happily ever after" when achieving FIRE.

But drawing from your experience, I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that RE at my age might in fact be too early. I need to go out and make myself useful to the world, before I can retire and feel satisfied without having no major purpose/mission in life.

Thank you!

And for some of the other comments, I can see trolling became your mission after FIRE ;-)
Harlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:58 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

^^^^

For me fire meant I could escape someone keeping me up 36 hours because a system didn't work. I choose not to do that and be retired. Perhaps at your age it means only picking jobs you enjoy? To be clear I loved what I did for many years, then it changed.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 04:41 PM   #30

My goal? Breathing. Thatís about it, DW & I are 70+, she had lung cancer, I had stage 4 throat cancer, every day is a gift, give all we can, no plan to it.
Old 05-05-2021, 05:25 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlax View Post
It made me realize that being FI doesn't mean that I have to RE. I have always told myself that it was important to RE, escape the rat race, and be free. I just somehow expected that I would be "happily ever after" when achieving FIRE.

But drawing from your experience, I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that RE at my age might in fact be too early. I need to go out and make myself useful to the world, before I can retire and feel satisfied without having no major purpose/mission in life.

Do you really need a purpose, or just more socialization and activities? We use hobby / social clubs to replace the socialization we used to get from work and having kids and all their activities that required parental involvement. We usually belong to 3 or 4 different clubs, even though we aren't both always active in them. But clubs are where we've made our post retirement friends, and if any of our friends moved away or we lost touch with them, the clubs are always there with ongoing activities to meet new people. I like clubs over something like volunteer work or classes for socialization, because most of the activities are drop in. After decades of being heavily scheduled between work and kids, it feels nice to have things to do to get out of the house and socialize if I feel like it, or be able to just sit in the backyard and read a mystery novel if I feel like that instead.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:04 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
My purpose now is to see as much of the country and the world as I want to, and to capture it through photography. Last month I hit a major bucket list item with a visit to The Wave in Arizona. It took me 5 years to get the permit.

Beautiful photos!
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:26 PM   #33
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
It made me realize that being FI doesn't mean that I have to RE. I have always told myself that it was important to RE, escape the rat race, and be free.
Retiring (early) and escaping the rat race are two very different things. It sounds like you keep working but on your own terms... no rat race for you, just creating your own sense of purpose and maybe setting the stage for others to join you along the journey.
PageTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:49 AM   #34

Quote:
Thank you for all your replies. It really gave me some good insights and advice. I really appreciate it.

Thank you!

And for some of the other comments, I can see trolling became your mission after FIRE ;-)
Well I think people can feel they have earned the right to do very little after decades of sometimes intense work for The Man. But as is often said, you need something to retire to. For most of us we do not want that to resemble a job.

But given you have the time, you can strike a blow for big issues you care about. I am thinking world hunger, school choice, mentoring disadvantaged youth, financial counselling/coaching of folks who struggle financially, many others: whatever you feel can allow you to make an impact.

The you can find organizations that allow you to leverage your skills to address those issues.

The challenge is to do things you care about without getting burned out or making it too much like a job, unless of course that is something you want.

But maybe you WANT a job, just in a new profession? So go get qualified as a teacher and take on assignments in inner cities, become an attorney and take on indigent clients, or learn to build or fix up houses for disadvantaged folks.

Lots of opportunities and you may find it is a journey, not a destination.

Congrats and best of luck.
Montecfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:37 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

In retirement I have been focusing on getting back my lost health and fitness. Was an accomplished bicycle racer in my teens and early 20s, but that ended in a crash that busted up my shoulder and crushed my spirit. Went on to a 30+ year career building things and raising 3 children.

Retired last year and have become a gym rat,
dropped lots of weight and got serious about amateur bicycle racing again. (Disappointing 11th place finish in a mountain bike race last night).

Figure as long I keep the rubber side down, Iíve extended my life span by many years. More time to assist our kids who are launching their careers and to support parents who need a little more TLC as they age.
1242Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 11:14 AM   #36
Administrator

My purpose in retirement is to enjoy each and every day of it. So far, it's working like a charm.
Old 05-06-2021, 11:35 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I enjoy watching paint dry.
Tetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 12:20 PM   #38

After losing my wife of 30 years, I was blessed to find a lady who had also been widowed. She said she wanted to travel, and we did! After 52 trips, 511 days, 41 countries, and 18 cruises, our bucket list is full.
During that same time, we were giving back to others less fortunate.
We worked at a food kitchen for homeless people, and donated to the local Food Share operation.
I flew 110 missions for Angel Flight, carrying patients to distant hospitals.
For fun I volunteered on a tourist railroad, and am restoring a 1941 switch engine.
As far as BTD, I was able to pilot 3 WW2 aircraft, as well as a Korean War MiG-15.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 02:15 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
After losing my wife of 30 years, I was blessed to find a lady who had also been widowed. She said she wanted to travel, and we did! After 52 trips, 511 days, 41 countries, and 18 cruises, our bucket list is full.
During that same time, we were giving back to others less fortunate.
We worked at a food kitchen for homeless people, and donated to the local Food Share operation.
I flew 110 missions for Angel Flight, carrying patients to distant hospitals.
For fun I volunteered on a tourist railroad, and am restoring a 1941 switch engine.
As far as BTD, I was able to pilot 3 WW2 aircraft, as well as a Korean War MiG-15.
Wow, you are very inspiring! And flew a MIG-15, way cool. Quite the little aircraft
Tetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 08:48 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

When I retired at age 50, I thought fishing and skiing would keep me occupied; you are way ahead of me in that regard, having already decided you may need to do something more fulfilling. As it turned out, I finally figured that out, too, after becoming bored after two months of only skiing. So I decided to volunteer for a variety of organizations (Habitat for Humanity, National CASA/GAL, Meals-on-Wheels, The Guide Dog Foundation, etc.) and in addition to learning more about myself, I also discovered a passion I had never been aware of, which led to a very fulfilling second career. I wish you the best in possibly discovering your next Journey!
Speculator is offline   Reply With Quote