Your recent repair? - 2021 to ?

Yesterday I replaced the pressure tank to our well. I had noticed our water pressure changing as I used water, and when I went to check the air pressure in the tank water came out. So I knew the bladder was gone. It was 30 years old, so I guess we got our money's worth. ... Hopefully I get another 30 years out of this tank.

Have you checked how long the pump runs when it hits the low pressure kick-in? You really want it to run for at least one minute. This is the time it takes for the water flow to cool the pump from the initial surge (google "short cycle well pump").

Hopefully you didn't go too long with it short cycling, that is tough on the pump. I actually had a little micro controller set up to monitor on/off times of our well pump, and email me a a daily report, and send an email alert if it ran < 1.2 Minutes, or more than 20 Minutes.

-ERD50

I was doing some dirty yard work and put my iPhone in my shorts pocket. I went inside, phone was dead, so I went to put in the charger cable. Cord wouldn’t go in. Port was clogged with dirt. Tried canned compressed air. Didn’t work. I was able to clear the port with an xacto knife. And beat on the phone a little to dislodge the rest of the dirt. Charger cables now fits fine.

^The xacto knife isn't recommend, as it can do irreparable damage. What I do is cut a tool out of one of those clear plastic containers (you know, one of those impossible to open clear plastic things). A small bit of this stiff plastic film will fit on both sides of a micro USB 'tongue'. And there's little risk it will damage anything.

Would a paint brush or a tooth brush work?

A big puddle in front of the dishwasher tonight. The water was coming out of the door. ....

So I thought it was the float switch. But the machine reacted when I picked up on the float, so the float switch at least was doing something.

This was a sudden thing.

So I'm not sure what to try next. DW said "buy a new one", and that might be the solution, but I figured I'd see if anyone here had any ideas.

I wonder if the float is waterlogged or will not rise to close the switch due to its shaft sticking. Check those if you can.

A Longer Rod

Bought and installed two ceiling fans in the new gazebo...10' to the peak, and they recommended a 12" down rod.

So I get them installed last night, and turn them on, and literally can not feel any breeze. I thought they must be in "winter mode" (turning the wrong way), but the leading edge was on top...that wasn't it.

It's a 10 foot gazebo at the peak, and the 54 inch fan got somewhat close to the sloped roof, especially at the blade tips, so I thought I'd give the 18" downrod a try. Wow, what a difference. I was surprised and wanted to show my friends here what the difference was. It's <2 minute video that shows a little paper spinner under the 12 vs 18 installation. 6 inches makes a big difference!

https://youtu.be/o4VRJuCVJYE

Attachments

• Post Removal.JPG
    Post Removal.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 21
Bought and installed two ceiling fans in the new gazebo...10' to the peak, and they recommended a 12" down rod.

So I get them installed last night, and turn them on, and literally can not feel any breeze. I thought they must be in "winter mode" (turning the wrong way), but the leading edge was on top...that wasn't it.

It's a 10 foot gazebo at the peak, and the 54 inch fan got somewhat close to the sloped roof, especially at the blade tips, so I thought I'd give the 18" downrod a try. Wow, what a difference. I was surprised and wanted to show my friends here what the difference was. It's <2 minute video that shows a little paper spinner under the 12 vs 18 installation. 6 inches makes a big difference!

That is a big difference, so now I have to wonder are you getting this effect because it's outside and not in a room ?
Also , since the height is 10 feet, and 6 inches makes such a difference , maybe you really need a 2 -> 2.5 foot rod.
As long as your friends aren't pro basketball players it would be safe.

^^^ It's because of the sloped ceiling, and there's not much clearance between the ceiling and the tips of the blades, as seng said.

Else, if the ceiling were flat, the shorter rod would work, per the recommendation by the fan maker.

^^^ It's because of the sloped ceiling, and there's not much clearance between the ceiling and the tips of the blades, as seng said.

Else, if the ceiling were flat, the shorter rod would work, per the recommendation by the fan maker.

I'm saying try a longer rod for more air movement of 24" -> 30"

Have you checked how long the pump runs when it hits the low pressure kick-in? You really want it to run for at least one minute. This is the time it takes for the water flow to cool the pump from the initial surge (google "short cycle well pump").

Hopefully you didn't go too long with it short cycling, that is tough on the pump.

I haven't timed it but my new 52 gallon tank has a draw down of 16 gallons, so at 5gpm it should take about 3 minutes to refill. Assuming I'm not running the water continuously for lawn sprinklers, which would run the pump longer.

I have no idea how long the old pressure tank was bad. I noticed pressure variations a week or two ago when watering the lawn. I figured I was just overdue to replace the water filter, but discovered the failed tank in the process.

Everything seems to be working well since replacing the tank, but there is no way to know how much life is left on the pump. It could fail tomorrow, or it could last another 10 years.

I have an intermittent problem on my F-350 truck that I've been working on for quite a while.
When we drive our truck to the mountains and stay overnight in the morning when I start the truck the left turn flasher would come on. I could flip the arm for the turn signal on and then off a couple times and it would stop and the the problem would be gone until the next time we went to the mountains. This has gone on for a few years. I figured it was related to the temperature difference since it is always a lot colder up in the mountains.

This week we went to the mountains again and same problem only this time couldn't get it to stop flashing. Tested all the turn signals/brake lights and everything was working normally except the left front turn signal was always flashing. So we drove home in the daytime so I don't think it caused any problems. The flashing continued all the way home. Got home and changed the flasher relay. No difference. I switched the two front bulbs and the problem remained the same. So was thinking there was probably a short in the wires for the left front light or on the switch for the turn signals in the steering wheel. Got thinking about the wires going to the steering wheel switch and remembered the tilt lever for the steering wheel which I never use. I cycled the steering wheel tilt through a couple cycles and the problem went away.

If it comes back I will probably remove the cover for the steering around the switch and inspect the wiring and/or replace the turn signal switch.

I have an intermittent problem on my F-350 truck that I've been working on for quite a while.
When we drive our truck to the mountains and stay overnight in the morning when I start the truck the left turn flasher would come on. I could flip the arm for the turn signal on and then off a couple times and it would stop and the the problem would be gone until the next time we went to the mountains. This has gone on for a few years. I figured it was related to the temperature difference since it is always a lot colder up in the mountains.

This week we went to the mountains again and same problem only this time couldn't get it to stop flashing. Tested all the turn signals/brake lights and everything was working normally except the left front turn signal was always flashing. So we drove home in the daytime so I don't think it caused any problems. The flashing continued all the way home. Got home and changed the flasher relay. No difference. I switched the two front bulbs and the problem remained the same. So was thinking there was probably a short in the wires for the left front light or on the switch for the turn signals in the steering wheel. Got thinking about the wires going to the steering wheel switch and remembered the tilt lever for the steering wheel which I never use. I cycled the steering wheel tilt through a couple cycles and the problem went away.

If it comes back I will probably remove the cover for the steering around the switch and inspect the wiring and/or replace the turn signal switch.

I'm guessing you have a wire in the column that has some worn away insulation and under the right conditions, it contacts metal. Some lighting systems in vehicles have switches that short to ground to turn on a light.

Love your anemometer.

I changed a lightbulb a few days ago. It wasn't too hard. I had a couple of neighbors over and a 12-pack of beer, just in case things got tricky. My wife got mad saying that I was just being cheap & should just call somebody, but I knew I could do it.

It really wasn't too bad. I'm planning to try changing another one next week, maybe.

;)

^^^ :)

So, now you can answer the question: how many drunk neighbors does it take to change a lightbulb?

I took down our bedroom ceiling fan because it was starting to get noisy. I dropped some oil into the outside of the main shaft, top and bottom. Let it sit for about an an hour and added non-detergent 20 weight oil several different times, following instructions I saw on YouTube. Quieter so far.

Since there's no proper oiling hole for the motor, I'm skeptical about it working long-term. I'd be happy to get through the summer so I don't have to go into the attic. I was unimpressed with the installation because the previous installer didn't change the electric box for a fan-rated one, and there was movement in the fan hanger.

^...must resist...don't post it...

Ahh go ahead!

1922 Garage Door cable and spring croaked. After consulting with several of 'the guys' I get second opinions from the fix was not obvious. DW intervened.

Home Depot will install a new 'metal' door - September at the earliest.

:cool:

Heh heh heh - :D Yes dear.

Ahh go ahead!

1922 Garage Door cable and spring croaked. After consulting with several of 'the guys' I get second opinions from the fix was not obvious. DW intervened.

Home Depot will install a new 'metal' door - September at the earliest.

:cool:

Heh heh heh - :D Yes dear.

At least you won't strain yourself.

I watched a fellow replace the single car garage door in the condo , they were doing many doors at one time.
He was very efficient and amazingly fast, since he had done it dozens of times already.
I don't recall exactly the time, but within 1 hour he had, unloaded the boxes, the old one off and new one one and working with the garage door opener.

It takes me 2 hours just to replace a garage door opener. :facepalm:

I've been putting this off for a long time. Of course the rotted window sill was only the tip of the iceberg...the horizontal one-by on the bottom was rotted on both ends. I bought a PVC replacement yesterday. Today I get a reprieve due to everything being wet from a downpour yesterday, and I wanted to apply wood hardener. The plan is to replace the big stuff with PVC versions and Bondo the places I removed rot with the oscillating tool.

Attachments

• IMG_20210724_165309217.jpg
    IMG_20210724_165309217.jpg
    708.3 KB · Views: 22
I'm saying try a longer rod for more air movement of 24" -> 30"
The 18" put the blades at just under 7.5 feet from the floor. We have a fan in the basement (lower ceiling) and those blades are at 7 feet from the floor. In that case we have had unintended contact with the blades (ouch!). So longer isn't always a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom