Your recent repair? - 2021 to ?

Relay story.

Compressor on my heat pump wasn't coming on but I could hear the relay/contactor clicking. Turns out a Palmetto Bug (roach for you northerners) had inserted itself between the contacts and committed suicide -- effectively blocking the current flow. New one was about $15 on Amazon.

About relays. The guys online who were helping my fix my heat and cool system were saying it might be a relay. I was skeptical, but yep, it was the relay.

I had time, being retired, so I was able to carefully take things apart, and replace the relay in the air handler and get the fan motor to come on again. One set of contact points was 'worn out' as in corroded from decades of electricity arcing over them each time they closed.

I learned a lot about testing electrical components.

I was surprised to find that there were lots of websites selling the original equipment relay (vintage 1986). It was a Trane part that they used and still use in lots of their stuff. I tried to get a generic $10 relay, but nothing quite fit in well enough, so I went 'BTD' and bought an OE relay for $44 including shipping.

Replaced the left rear brake caliper on my 2008 Land Rover LR3 on Thursday. Pretty easy job. Need to flush the brake fluid this week.

Relay story.

Compressor on my heat pump wasn't coming on but I could hear the relay/contactor clicking. Turns out a Palmetto Bug (roach for you northerners) had inserted itself between the contacts and committed suicide -- effectively blocking the current flow. New one was about $15 on Amazon.

You can buy Palmetto Bugs on Amazon ;)

Why couldn't you just pull out the bug and clean the contacts ?

I took a window out of our shed today and reinstalled it right side up.
You might miss the weep holes, but what about the lowering the window instead of raising it to open?

Also patched 2 holes along the sides of it. The PO had put 1/8" or was it 1/16" wood much larger piece than needed.
Would you believe it looked bad? And they used zero caulk or any sort of weather proofing. It was bad.
At least it was easy to remove. 6 or 8 screws and pull out the window.

Been working on my son's fixer upper home. The roof was damaged from a tornado, Servpro came in dried out the house and rebuilt(?) the damaged sections.They are not carpenters, see pictures below. :mad: Yesterday my son and I rebuilt the missing soffit framing, installed the soffit and my son figured out how to build the two 'box ends' where the gable end meets the eve. It will be all covered with vinyl and aluminum trim in the future, just making it inhabitable so he can move in. Now that it is sealed on the outside, we are ready to tear out water damaged drywall in the kitchen.

Here are just a few of the poor repairs made before my son bought the house. We did fix the a few wees ago.

Attachments

• ServePro 8.jpg
    ServePro 8.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 9
  • ServePro 7.jpg
    ServePro 7.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 7
  • ServePro 9.jpg
    ServePro 9.jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 10
You can buy Palmetto Bugs on Amazon ;)

Why couldn't you just pull out the bug and clean the contacts ?

no need to buy them here in South Carolina, they are free and plentiful :)

I actually did clean the contacts and put it back together awaiting the delivery of the new one. It was kind of burned up and I didn’t want to risk bad connections.

Patched more concrete cracks in the garage floor on the "apron" or approach to it, not sure what that part of it is called. One more small crack in a corner to do and I'm done with the garage floor. Then on to the sidewalk.

Spent the last 3 weeks off and on puttering around to install a new 16' x 10' garage door. Just have a new opener left. Only had 6 inches of headroom so had to get semi custom for the install. It's been a bit of a challenge.:LOL:

Our upright freezer was frosting up big time, especially around the door shelves.

Looked it up on Google. Advice was the seal/gasket.. Place a piece of paper between the door when you close it. If you can easily pull out the paper....gasket issue.

I was able to do so on the side, opening part of the door. Attempted to find a gasket seal on line, etc. But the freezer is older. No luck.

I would not have invested service call money in a new unit vs calling a repair person.

So...I ordered one of those childs freezer locks from Amazon. Installed in the location of where I believe the seal was as tight as it should be. $5. investment.

It worked! Any port in a storm.

So...I ordered one of those childs freezer locks from Amazon. Installed in the location of where I believe the seal was as tight as it should be. $5. investment.

It worked! Any port in a storm.
Thanks for sharing! May try on my upright freezer that's showing some frost along the top door seal.

When I replaced our water heater last month, I repainted the little alcove closet it sits in before installing the new heater. So I finally took the time to repaint the rest of our laundry room to match. After 20 years there were a few stress cracks and dings to repair, but nothing significant. For such a small room (6'x8') it took just as long to paint as a much larger room. Lots of edging details to deal with.

Attachments

• 2024-04-26 122600 - Patching and repainting the laundry room.jpg
    2024-04-26 122600 - Patching and repainting the laundry room.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 2024-04-26 151602 - Patching and repainting the laundry room.jpg
    2024-04-26 151602 - Patching and repainting the laundry room.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 0
Back
Top Bottom