Feeling stumped

intent

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm sure this has probably been discussed to death, but I'm having a difficult time even determining what terms to search on.

My problem: DW and I would like to retire in 10-12 years or so, when I'm about ~55 and she'll be ~53. I've run various calcs and it seems like we're on track, but I'm not sure how to set up accounts to cover us for the 8-10 years until we can begin drawing from our 401Ks and collect SS.

What types of investments are most common to cover this "bridge" gap? Could someone point me to some threads and/or books that provide strategies in this regard?

Thanks.

Check out Fidelity's mutual fund called the income replacement fund(s).

They will work pretty well to bridge a 10 year or so gap to cover income that SS will cover.

Fidelity Investments

Also if you call just about any mutual fund company, or investment house they can help you set up a fund(s) to span those years before SS kicks in and also for after that.

You might find this worth a read.

Amazon.com: The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning (9780470919019): Taylor Larimore, Mel Lindauer, Richard A. Ferri, Laura F. Dogu, John C. Bogle: Books

The short answer is that you don't need a special account or investment for that time period. You take out more yearly to cover your expenses until SS kicks in, but you maintain a constant asset allocation. You can withdraw from your 401(k) when you are 55 and retired or use a 72(t) to tap IRAs before you are 59 1/2 without penalty.

You might find this worth a read.

Amazon.com: The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning (9780470919019): Taylor Larimore, Mel Lindauer, Richard A. Ferri, Laura F. Dogu, John C. Bogle: Books

The short answer is that you don't need a special account or investment for that time period. You take out more yearly to cover your expenses until SS kicks in, but you maintain a constant asset allocation. You can withdraw from your 401(k) when you are 55 and retired or use a 72(t) to tap IRAs before you are 59 1/2 without penalty.

Thanks, I'll give the book a read.

Back
Top Bottom