IKEA

www.craigslist.org has a "free" section. I've used it to get rid of things that I wanted to get rid of but wouldn't be taken by Goodwill, Sally Anne, etc. It was either that or send it to the garbage and I'd rather that someone get to use it.

While I wouldn't consider myself a woodworker, I have a table saw, router etc, and make all the non -upholstered furniture we or I have ever had. I usually just use pine or Douglas fir boards, and stain with Watco Oil. I made my kitchen cabinets the same way. I do have a few nice cherry things that I inherited, and some that I bought back from the Midwest.

For the most part, so called antiques on the west coast cost an arm and a leg, and are basically junk.

As to IKEA, I can't bear huge stores, so I don't go. Also, the Puget Sound Store is quite a distance from me.

Some people love it though.

Mikey

ok i'm digging this up because i had no reference to talk about it until now. well i visited the ikea at the mall of america this weekend and i was very impressed. the place was packed, granted it was christmas season, but the parking was accessable, the place VERY clean, and the prices from what i could deduct were pretty cheap. i kept looking for stuff we sell at walmart and we sell some very similar stuff, our plants are cheaper, haha. but anyway, i enjoyed a $6 lunch of sweedish meatballs and potoatos and some lingenberries? and soup. the restaurant was packed. they had some pretty good customer service from what it appeared, and a sweedish band was playing on the lower level. the upper level was setup like rooms in a house, and prices dangled from every piece of furnature so you could write the number down and then go downstairs, which looks much like a home depot of furnature, and find your number and put it in these strange carts they had. i think ikea is a very novel idea, and something that will be very successful. i wish i couuld invest in the company, it appears they only have a dozen stores in this country, so they have a lot of room to grow. they seem to integrate entertainment and shopping in a very clever way. now, i didn't really see anything i wanted, but i don't have a house to decorate and my folks are avid about antiques for furnature, decorations, etc. so thats kinda what i lean to as well, but oh well, still very neat.

FWIW, my spouse and I bought some items from IKEA in Canada more than 20 years ago, if not more. IKEA has thus been in the larger cities of Canada for a long time. Assembly has always been relatively easy and everything lines up (from my experience). Have to agree though that one must be very selective on what to pick up. Accessories are by far the best opportunities.

IKEA works great for kid's furniture that will get beat up anyway - come to think of it, much of that stuff is still around at our now adult kids' places....about 20 years old.

Back
Top Bottom