The "fog of work"

[ My challenge is to learn something for the joy of it, not the mastery of it. See my dilemma? :(
Have you mastered golf or fly fishing?
Unfortunately, I have ongoing carpal tunnel and tendonitis problems :nonono:, so my wrist intensive activities are limited. I have to pick and choose very carefully.
I played golf for many years with LH. I never hit very far, but always straight. I was a demon with a wedge and a putter. I can no longer drive, but I can chip and putt. I do play in scrambles. I just skip the driving part.
But fly fishing sounds interesting. We have a lot of streams here. I own a boat and we have a small reservoir locally. But how do I deal with the slimy smelly wriggling fish if I catch one? :cool:

Anyway, this might sound like heresy on this board, but what about work as a necessary and fulfilling part of being?
Work can be healthy, even if it's just in the Old-Testament sweat-of-the-brow sense. Paid work is even better. But self-directed work is the best of all.

I think the difference is when a job turns into an occupation instead of an avocation. When it destroys a person's work/life balance. I work my assets off around our house and our rental property, and at our taekwondo dojang, but I have much more control over the timing and the amount of the effort. And when I get tired of it, I can stop doing it and either hire it out or dispose of the burden. No deadline stress, and almost everything gets completed eventually.

We've always told our kid that we hope she finds her avocation and will enjoy it for the rest of her life. We also tell her that the sooner she's financially independent, the sooner she'll be able to see if, like us, ER is her avocation.

I've heard you say words to the effect that growing up, all you wanted to be was a Navy submariner. Wouldn't you say
that achieving that goal was a helpful for your self-actualization? Was all that time you spent doing a job you were passionate about just a "fog"?
My father & grandfather are/were electrical engineers, and my father sold nuclear plants, so it's not as if I ever had a chance. I'm well aware of the "fog of work" around submarining, having gone through 15 months of intensive schooling and another six months of onboard effort just to start standing watch. (Some parts were more passionate than others.) I didn't qualify in submarines until nearly three years after I'd left USNA. When I pinned on gold dolphins, it was a massive dose of self-actualization. It was also like the dog catching the car-- now what?

Well, taking the Navy's nuclear engineering exam, of course. And qualifying for command. And paying back all that effort invested in training me by contributing to the crew and training more young officers. And later on doing everything else that steely-eyed killers of the deep can do.

For me, the part where the "fog of work" wrapped itself most tightly around my head was when my spouse started a family as I was working 60-hour weeks on call (with bad bosses) at a submarine operations command. It was clear that my immediate chain of command regarded family as an unpleasant conflict with work. The passion stopped about then. I was overwhelmed, chronically fatigued, and incredibly frustrated. During the two years that I struggled at the command, I was surrounded by at least a half-dozen Navy Reserve officers who'd arrive on temporary orders to help us out. Several of them were shipmates. My spouse had a similar environment at her command, and her own group of Reserve officers. Yet for some reason, it never occurred to either one of us that we could punch out and downshift. We were just too darn busy and tired to see that we could solve most of our problems by going into the Reserves. I stuck it out all the way to retirement and she lasted another seven years before she finally went into the Reserves.

I'd say that people who are passionate about their work have no reason to pursue ER. Financial independence, sure, everybody should pursue FI. But when the fog of work is making you so miserable that you can't even see a path to FI, let alone ER, then it's time to disrupt the status quo. And if you're FI but afraid of what will happen to you in ER-- all I can recommend is a sabbatical to give you a chance to live the lifestyle. "What will I do all day?!?" is one of the top three worries of ER, but as soon as they start living it every ER wonders what the heck they were worrying about.

Dory36 also used to point out another aspect of work, even if it was an avocation. When you were working while holding the FI bucket in one hand and the BS bucket in the other, if the FI bucket was full then the BS bucket started filling much more quickly. Which one is your left bucket?

But how do I deal with the slimy smelly wriggling fish if I catch one? :cool:
The fresh ones don't smell.

And poke (pronounced poe-kay) is yummy!

So when's the book coming out?:flowers:

I recall when I was a child I spent summers on my grandparents' farm in Maine, and walked down to the cove (on a calm sunny day) and watch the tide come in over the granite boulders.

I have regained much of that ability to 'just be' since retirement.

Funny. I tend to forget about it as I am consumed in teh swirl of work, commute, family and beer, but when I was a kid I used to spend summers at my parents' vacation place. The lake was 2 blocks from the house and I would routinely spend 3 or 4 days a week fishing, pretty much the whole day at a time. I spent a lot of time by the lake just being there, mostly without a sense of time or urgency.

Hard to imagine having that kind of time myself or allowing my kids that much unsupervised time. Definately something to think about, since those summers were, without a doubt, pretty happy times.

Funny. I tend to forget about it as I am consumed in teh swirl of work, commute, family and beer, but when I was a kid I used to spend summers at my parents' vacation place. The lake was 2 blocks from the house and I would routinely spend 3 or 4 days a week fishing, pretty much the whole day at a time. I spent a lot of time by the lake just being there, mostly without a sense of time or urgency.

Hard to imagine having that kind of time myself or allowing my kids that much unsupervised time. Definately something to think about, since those summers were, without a doubt, pretty happy times.

I recall much unsupervised time at parents and grandparents farms.

Also chores: herding cows, herding pigs, gathering eggs...

I recall much unsupervised time at parents and grandparents farms.

Also chores: herding cows, herding pigs, gathering eggs...

Hmmm, farms. For me, this is like traveling to a foreign country where they happen to speak English (sort of). Always wonder if I fundamentally missed out on something there. Then again, a couple generations back on Mom's side, they were farmers poor enough that dinner was generally some variation of squirrel and potatoes.

Such is life.

So when's the book coming out?:flowers:
Six chapters drafted, working on the seventh of ten, with a lot of details to clean up after that. The research is done, and I'm far smarter on publishers (and self-publishing) than I used to be.

Hopefully before the end of 2009. You know, the same way I said before the end of 2007 and 2008...

Hmmm, farms. For me, this is like traveling to a foreign country where they happen to speak English (sort of). Always wonder if I fundamentally missed out on something there. Then again, a couple generations back on Mom's side, they were farmers poor enough that dinner was generally some variation of squirrel and potatoes.

Such is life.

Both sets of grandparents were farmers. Mother said her mother would take a rabbit from the cat and make dinner. We (3 generations) harvested/foraged/gleaned...

It is interesting to 'meet' folks of totally different backgrounds.

Both sets of grandparents were farmers. Mother said her mother would take a rabbit from the cat and make dinner. We (3 generations) harvested/foraged/gleaned...

It is interesting to 'meet' folks of totally different backgrounds.

I am convinced that one of the main reasons I got along so well with my extremely bright, gazillionaire ex-boss at the hedge fund I used to work for (and whom I still consider a friend and mentor) is that we were both only a generation or two away from squirrel/woodchuck/possum for dinner.

Thanks for the essay, Nords.

I find that the fog of work has moved with me into my role as a full-time parent. Maybe once they go to school this will change? Anyone have this experience? Sorry if it's been posted already, I'm short on time and neurons today.

I find myself constantly calculating things such as how to be more successful in my career. Of course, there is nothing I could do at 4 AM, so the only thing I am successful at is giving myself a bad night of sleep almost nightly. Thank goodness I still remember to meditate from time to time so that I can get back my peace of mind.

I find that the fog of work has moved with me into my role as a full-time parent. Maybe once they go to school this will change? Anyone have this experience? Sorry if it's been posted already, I'm short on time and neurons today.
I think some of the daily in-your-face always-on-24/7 burden is relieved when they start school.

Of course much of the physical stamina (or stress) is exchanged for mental stamina/stress. But elementary school peer pressure is a powerful tool for motivating kids to learn how to clean their own rooms, do their own laundry, prepare their own meals, and manage their own money. You're no longer the sole authority figure, either-- it's not your fault that there's no fun until the homework is done!

On the long-term view, I'm surprised that one more driver's license has made such a huge improvement in our family quality of life. We hardly ever have to nag about planning shopping trips or errands-- we no longer pay the price for her lack of planning. In addition she enjoys the [-]driver training & proficiency[/-] chance to flee the nest and be mobile for an hour or two, so we [-]exploit[/-] leverage that desire by having her take over the family errands. It's turned her into a much better shopper, too. I only drive our Prius once or twice a month now...

+1 to the parent thing. Work is where I relax now. Get so wrapped up in daily parenting (dd is almost 3 and her favorite word lately is "NO"- lots of tantrums too) and trying to make it thru the day that long term thinking is hard.

But no one, not even nuclear engineers, plans our latté quota to project the savings cashflow and its compounded growth into a specific calendar date when we're going to start school, buy that house, and accumulate enough savings to retire.
Really? I'm sure that many people, particularly those on this board, engage in such planning.

It's not rocket science. Just reading and applying the principles set out in Your Money and Your Life will be sufficient for most purposes.

Really? I'm sure that many people, particularly those on this board, engage in such planning.

It's not rocket science. Just reading and applying the principles set out in Your Money and Your Life will be sufficient for most purposes.

Yeah but even I limited myself to two decimal places - approximation wise.

heh heh heh - :D And I never made to age 63 - got layed off at 49 and had to redo my plan - handgrenade wise. :LOL::LOL::LOL: :whistle:.

The "fog of work" can continue for months, years, even decades. Maybe work is fun, maybe planning is too hard or even scary, or maybe we're too busy with the daily minutiae to focus on the long-term picture.

I agree with you, well said. I was thinking along the same lines but, since you were so articulate in describing the "fog of work," you saved me a lot of ... well, work.

Continuing the metaphor, one might say that work is carrying out our lives by other means. That may be why some (most?) retirees, early or not, find themselves lonely, empty, confused, when the retirement date arrives and we need to live our lives through primary means.

Even if we've planned our retirement to the utter financial detail, we may not be ready to really live, because the fog of work has kept us so busy with things only tangentially related to real living. Most of us make the adjustment, and find that, gee, we really do have a life. It may not be the life we envisioned when we dreamed of retirement, it may not be the most exciting, it may be filled with many mundane things that still need to be done on a daily basis but, by gosh, it's a real life and I'm going to live it. :)

Thanks for a good essay.

I used to be one of them too, but I much prefer Jeff Yeager's approach: Smart Financial Choices

To torture the metaphor even further, people can easily spend $3/day on cable TV or cell phone bills. But unless that's being subsidized by an employer, it's hard to feel virtuous about saving for ER without cable (let alone HD) and not being able to yak at will. Although he did fine for the 1970s & 80s, I bet even Joe Dominguez would have hesitated to implement some of his ER tactics in the face of more modern high-tech entertainment.

I think that a very very small minority of humanity, let alone ER Young Dreamers, will take pleasure in tweaking latté spreadsheets. If we tell people to forsake their daily caffeine to worship the putative benefits of simple living, then I doubt the pews will fill with converts. But people can appreciate the wisdom of making good choices on the big decisions, and it won't feel like they're flirting with the line between frugality and deprivation.

Continuing the metaphor, one might say that work is carrying out our lives by other means.
Good one!

Nords - Mr Yeager makes a good point - however, he leaves out one of the most important ones - who you marry or decide to live your life with. Usually, that comes before the children.

I'm too lazy right now, but there was a list somewhere I read regarding the most important decisions in one's life and how that affected them financially - although the article focused on the finance aspect, turns out it was a good list to ensure happiness in life as well: house, spouse, children and upbringing thereof, auto, daily lifestyle costs and expectations seemed to be the list. This could encompass both the 'pay attention to the large decisions' as well as the 'small decision have an impact, too' viewpoints.

Bottom line - awareness of the decisions and the short-term and possible long-term impacts is most important.

I think that a very very small minority of humanity, let alone ER Young Dreamers, will take pleasure in tweaking latté spreadsheets. If we tell people to forsake their daily caffeine to worship the putative benefits of simple living, then I doubt the pews will fill with converts. But people can appreciate the wisdom of making good choices on the big decisions, and it won't feel like they're flirting with the line between frugality and deprivation.

Am I supposed to feel deprived because I don't go to Starbucks or the equivalent? Sheesh - - why doesn't somebody TELL me these things! :D

I got a $5 "Secret Santa" gift card for Starbucks this year, and it is directly across the street from work so I thought I'd go get a cappucino. Haven't been in there in at least 8 years, and I was shocked at how small a Vente is (has it shrunk?) and how ordinary the coffee tasted. The price with tax was $3.75 and wasn't even a treat. Good - - no reason for me to spend anything more there.

I don't know if it counts as fog or not - but I was mentally unemployed til I made the shift to ER in my mind. Memory says it took a while.

Note that folks around me - also considered me 'unemployed' as I was under 55(early retired at the plant) - no matter how well I was surviving financially.

Da rule - no pension! - you don't count as retired.

heh heh heh - I avoided certain retiree gatherings/doughnut shops until age 55.

heh heh heh - silly me. ;)

I got a $5 "Secret Santa" gift card for Starbucks this year, and it is directly across the street from work so I thought I'd go get a cappucino. Haven't been in there in at least 8 years, and I was shocked at how small a Vente is (has it shrunk?) and how ordinary the coffee tasted. The price with tax was $3.75 and wasn't even a treat. Good - - no reason for me to spend anything more there.
Our kid gets plenty of Starbucks cards at Christmas & birthdays. The cards have zero value to her caffeine-free lifestyle, so I buy them at a cash discount. Then I enjoy going into Starbucks, asking for a small black coffee, and watching the counter action grind (so to speak) to a halt while they all stare at me and try to remember how to translate my request into action.

Feels like Oliver Twist asking for more gruel...

Nords, excellent post. Unfortunately I think I am one of those who have (at least temporarily) lost the ability to truly sit down and just relax for a while. Perhaps I've trained myself to be this way --always on the run, always planning the next thing, etc.

I tried to slow down between Christmas and New Year's by scheduling a week of "staycation" where I just stayed home. I saw friends perhaps every other night. Honestly, I didn't even know what to do with myself. The whole time I was extremely unfocused and just wasted time on the Internet. Everyday I woke up really late and did nothing. Sadly I did not enjoy it. I was elated to go back to w*rk where, although there were headache moments, I at least knew had a structure and felt somewhat in control of my time.

FIRE is still at least 25 years away for me, but I think I will need to learn how to relax. I didn't use to be this way...

Back
Top Bottom