Being a newbie & all, I hate to ask....

Bram

Recycles dryer sheets
...but will anyway :D

Would it be possible for the Mods to modify/edit/shorten the urls that are excessively long within posts. It's really difficult on my laptop to keep scanning back & forth when there are lengthy responses. Or maybe a tag can be added up there ^for "tiny url"?
http://www.tiny.cc/

Thanks! :)

Bram, users can (and generally should) use this format:

click here when including a link. That is, embed the actual link in the "url=" part. Then only the descriptive text between the tags appears when you read the post.

You see only "click here" but I wrote [ url=www.myverylongandhardtoreacwebsitelink.com] to start the link (without the space after "["), ending it with [/url],

Rich_in_Tampa said:
Bram, users can (and generally should) use this format:

click here when including a link. That is, embed the actual link in the "url=" part. Then only the descriptive text between the tags appears when you read the post.

You see only "click here" but I wrote [ url=www.myverylongandhardtoreacwebsitelink.com] to start the link (without the space after "["), ending it with [/url],
I finally figured that out by pulling up the content of someone else's link by clicking on "quote." It drove me nuts because it didn't use the same quote structure as HTML hrefs. Is there some general principle for how blogs implement this, or some php construction? For that matter does this blog have a set of instructions somewhere for using all of the available tags?

donheff said:
I finally figured that out by pulling up the content of someone else's link by clicking on "quote." It drove me nuts because it didn't use the same quote structure as HTML hrefs. Is there some general principle for how blogs implement this, or some php construction? For that matter does this blog have a set of instructions somewhere for using all of the available tags?

wab linked to the tags. They are more or less a standard called BBCode. I'm not sure what the technical origins are, but as an admin I find it nicer to use than html because you don't have to safety-check the code, escape problematic sequences, etc. ... just escape all would-be html code. And it's ultimately easier to switch from, say, html4 to xhtml or re-serve as wap/wml. Also with html input you lose things when people use angle brackets as parentheses <like this>. Many forums use BBCode.

Thanks Wab & BMJ. Now will the guys with the collections of smilies post the account information for their images so we can post them and not set up our own repositories :LOL:

I just steal them from other forum members.

img_461240_0_0e2e123f3613552b7cc4e429e231db5d.gif

Martha said:
I just steal them from other forum members.

img_461291_0_0e2e123f3613552b7cc4e429e231db5d.gif
That is what I want to do. But the one you used is the first photobucket album I have seen that is open at the directory level to browse. And, unfortunately, she does not have a taste for smilies that would appeal to any guy, straight or gay. Last time I checked the guys with the good smilies on this forum seemed to have set the permissions for no directory level access. They don't have the true community spirit we are looking to exploit share. :'(

EDIT: never mind. I didn't realize you could search at the top level of photobucket. I was just trying to go up the users' directories to their individual repositories. It appears I now have an unlimited reservoir of other peoples' smilies.
img_461291_1_f824b8e6eb0fcbc549e44e5b4cec3813.gif

If you want a billion of 'em, go to Google, go to images, type in "smilie list" and select only "Small" for your size (they are tiny gifs).

Click on one of them, and typically you will then have a whole list to chose from and save as you please.

Enjoy!

thewave.gif

Back
Top Bottom