Congrats to Nords

Thumbs Up.gif

How wonderful, congratulations, Nords!

I like your writing style and I always read your posts.

Thanks, everyone, what a busy week. We've been helping a friend turn over the tenants in her rental condo, our kid is leaving for college in just 23 hours, and we have four other houseguests this month. But we got to spend the afternoon strolling Chinatown, and tomorrow morning we're going surfing.

Over the last year I've sent out proposals to eight publishers, five of whom have given me a very cynical view of the industry. The only thing worse than their communications skills was their ability to make a decision. So of course when I sent a proposal to Impact Publications the week before last, I didn't expect to hear back from them for a couple months.

It turns out that Ron Krannich knows what he wants when he sees it, and he knows to make a decision. He called me the day after he got the proposal to let me know the contract was coming. I'm mailing it back (with the manuscript) tomorrow.

Technically he bought not one but two books-- The Military Guide, which we've all written & reviewed, plus a 64-page 4”x5” pocket guide which I have yet to distill from the full manuscript. Both will be published in 8-12 months, depending on how much editing is needed and how much lead time the distributors & military exchanges want.

Impact sells through catalogs and their online bookstores, of course (Impact Publications and www.veteransworld.com), but they're huge in the military market. Their distributor has exclusive control of the book section in the military exchanges.

The deal is generous. Shared revenues for subsidiary rights (like a Kindle version!), 15% royalties, discounted prices for the author to hand out to reviewers and other influential readers. We're going to try to distribute a substantial number of galley proofs for E-R.org veterans to scrub before it goes to print. I think Ron plans to use the pocket guide with the military transition assistance planning seminars, so we'll be talking to those people. We still have to choose a cover (that's a separate thread I'll start in a day or two), I'll start up separate threads to discuss the setup of the website & blog, and of course there will be a book tour.

You veterans/families on the social group helped me write it. I'm happy to have the rest of the board's help to get it edited, published, and marketed!

Then we can start thinking about a sequel...

Last edited:
Congratulations Nords, I look forward to hearing more.

When will it be available at the library?

;)

Congratulations
smiley-chores033.gif
on your success!
+1 The DC library has a spot on the web site where you can request that they purchase a book. Once you post the particulars I will put it in and push for one more sale. If everyone does that Nords may be FI at a whole new level of luxury :)

Nords, hoping this will be helpful to military folks and rewarding to you, and you will still find time to share your thoughts around these parts. Congratulations.

Nords, congrats, I know you've been working on this for quite a while. With all the stories of how some vets struggle with finances, maybe this will save a few of their financial lives. I know a few who could benefit from it right now...........is it on Amazon?

Congrats, Nords! This is indeed an achievement.

Impressive. Great accomplishment! I hope you are able to help many young military families.

Congratulations!!

I hope you sell lots of books and generate lots of $$ for the military charities.

Congrats Nords, well done. Like many others, I enjoy your style of writing and your content.

However, does this mean that you are officially unretired as you now have a job as author?

However, does this mean that you are officially unretired as you now have a job as author?
I guess "author" is a publisher's upgrade from "writer", but this is a labor of love!

All the royalties (after taxes) are going to military charities, so this is definitely volunteering for a non-profit. I'll start a separate thread for the contributors to pick their charities.

But first we're going surfing. My daughter gets on a flight in just nine more hours, and she wants to be able to say that surfing was one of the last things she did before leaving Hawaii. We'll be teaching two newbies and an Army Ranger down at White Plains (Kalealoa) around 10 AM...

indeed my congrats as well... and for a very noble cause...

Wow way to go Nords. I knew you were working on being a landlord and father, but a writer now soon to be published is a new milestone. Congratulations!

I guess "author" is a publisher's upgrade from "writer", but this is a labor of love!

All the royalties (after taxes) are going to military charities, so this is definitely volunteering for a non-profit. I'll start a separate thread for the contributors to pick their charities.

But first we're going surfing. My daughter gets on a flight in just nine more hours, and she wants to be able to say that surfing was one of the last things she did before leaving Hawaii. We'll be teaching two newbies and an Army Ranger down at White Plains (Kalealoa) around 10 AM...

Well, congrats... since I am not miltary... I probably will not be reading it... sorry...

It is nice and HOT here for your daughter... hope she survives the heat...

Back
Top Bottom