Had not been able to access forum for days..

I just downloaded Chrome. It has taken me minutes to get this far on the site. Just wanted to let you guys know i am taking your suggestions. None of the buttons are on any of the post...but I don't see any questions marks. Perhaps that because I don't see any boxes either. Oh....as I type this...it is still sending/receiving....and blank boxes are popping up. Again...am not having this problem with any other site with any of the browsers. Chrome isn't much better for me on this url. I'll investigate further when I have time. I'll see how long this takes to post.

It took 1 minute and 40 seconds to post my last post.

Sheehs, (if you can get on long enough to read this post :) ) I had some problems with this site (and this site only) several months ago regardless of the browers or which of the three computers I could use to connect to my wifi and finally called my cable company (Comcast) when I found I could connect with DH's iPhone's 3G service but not when the iPhone was connected via our wifi. Comcast did something on their end while I was on the phone with them and reset our service, and it took care of it. So try that?

One of the beauties of knowing nothing is that I can persist in believing , despite ERD50's attempt to educate me, in myths and old wive's tales.
BWE beat me to it but I was about to say that this is an even worse situation than I thought at first when I talked about a 2 party issue....your Mac and this site. As BEW noted, it is really a 3 party issue involving your ISP too.

I mention this because we are on a municipal wifi. Normally it works ok but sometimes something happens and it get very slow. I noticed during those times that I could usually get on most sites eventually but that I usually had extreme difficulty getting on yahoo mail, hotmail, and this site. Have no idea why. About a week ago, they did something and it is blazingly fast. No problems so far but it's a pretty short time to really make it conclusions from.

Another Mac-related idea..........I've heard people say sometimes that a site didn't
"support" the Mac so it might not have all the functionality desired. This was a Tax-Aide online training site. Have no idea if this can be true.....all I know is that my Mac at home wouldn't work but the public PC at the library worked fine on that site.

Last edited:
kaneohe, you are right, there is the ISP in the mix, and the DNS (the service that converts domain names like "google.com" to the numbered addresses that the internet really uses ) . I think it was mentioned before, but look into alternates DNS servers (just some numbers you type into your internet setup dialog) if you continue to have problems, I've seen that clean up some issues.

By the way, I gristle when I hear someone say that a site doesn't
"support" the Mac (or Linux, or xyz browser). Web sites are supposed to be built on standards. If they stick to the standards, any standards compliant browser should work fine, regardless of make/model or OS. The web site does not need to do anything to "support" those variations, if they stick to standards, it should all be fine. If there is a "support" issue, they created it on their end by using some non-standard coding that might work on one browser, but not another.

Microsoft apparently used this to try to kill other browsers. MS offered free web site authoring tools, and (surprise!), their tools used non-standards based methods, and (surprise!), Internet Explorer was tweaked to work with those oddities, but other browsers had to reverse engineer this stuff, since they were not published standards. This kind of made IE seem to work 'better' in many cases. In the long run, didn't seem to help them much.

-ERD50

Last edited:
By the way, I gristle when I hear someone say that a site doesn't
"support" the Mac (or Linux, or xyz browser). Web sites are supposed to be built on standards. If they stick to the standards, any standards compliant browser should work fine, regardless of make/model or OS. The web site does not need to do anything to "support" those variations, if they stick to standards, it should all be fine. If there is a "support" issue, they created it on their end by using some non-standard coding that might work on one browser, but not another.

Microsoft apparently used this to try to kill other browsers. MS offered free web site authoring tools, and (surprise!), their tools used non-standards based methods, and (surprise!), Internet Explorer was tweaked to work with those oddities, but other browsers had to reverse engineer this stuff, since they were not published standards. This kind of made IE seem to work 'better' in many cases. In the long run, didn't seem to help them much.

-ERD50

ERD50, thanks for that education. Now, if I can remember, I'll have a comeback if somebody tries to pull that again.

Bestwifever, I called my ISP this morning and as I expected there was no problem with my service. Even I sounded illogical to myself while trying to explain to them "it is just one site".....but no problem with other sites. They did tell me there was an internet outage today that could degrade service...but then they said, "since I could get to other sites, that is not my problem. I asked them if there was one last week...and she couldn't tell me. I also wondered about the snow blizzard out west and if there could be some nodes down that are slowing down packet switches.

ERD, Kaneohe and others that have been kind enough to respond, I have a couple of more things I can try when I have the time to rule things in or out. I'll reset my modem, do a direct plug in to my Mac...etc.
When I first got my Mac, I had a hard time with Scottrade real time freezing up on me. I spent many minutes with their technical guys. Eventually it resolved itself.
I think this will too eventually.

... I called my ISP this morning and as I expected there was no problem with my service. Even I sounded illogical to myself while trying to explain to them "it is just one site"....

But as you can see from this thread:

http://www.early-retirement.org/for...-avatars-embedded-pics-43078.html#post1143228

it is not illogical. This site has links to specific domain names that your other sites may not. So you can certainly have site specific problems.

Again, I'd try changing your DNS entries.

Google Public DNS

Google Public DNS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

-ERD50

ERD50. Success.! Adding 2 DNS servers codes specified in an Apple problem resolution thread did it! For anyone having the same problem on a MAC, I added DNS 4.2.2.1 and 4..2.2.2. I had read about this back on 12/20 but had tried other things first.
Thanks so much ERD50. I think I'm back in business!

Last edited:
I kinda feel sorry for that problem. It never had a chance. You were relentless! Victory deserved.

Bestwifever, I called my ISP this morning and as I expected there was no problem with my service. Even I sounded illogical to myself while trying to explain to them "it is just one site".....but no problem with other sites. They did tell me there was an internet outage today that could degrade service...but then they said, "since I could get to other sites, that is not my problem. I asked them if there was one last week...and she couldn't tell me. I also wondered about the snow blizzard out west and if there could be some nodes down that are slowing down packet switches.
Glad all things worked out for you. When you changed the DNS, the entire game changed. What is the game? You can see what happens if your perform a traceroute from your computer to a given site. Then change DNS and try again. You'll see that your problem is actually complex. There is a lot of switching and routing that one packet goes through. If one of the hops is bad, or under attack, or whatever, you and thousands of users going through that hop have problems.

Thanks kaneohe. Glad I was able to get on intermittently to post about the issue. There may be others out there who can not see these two threads about the DSN fixes.

Could you kindly provide the url for the Apple forum you mentioned.
Also could you provide some detailed instruction on how you added those
DNS nos. Thanks..........just consider it the price of success. :)

The link target2019 provided is good but left out a click or two depending on your screen and OS version.
System Preferences>Network Panel>Click on your Internet Connection (Airport, Ethernet, etc.). Select "Advanced". Click on the DNS tab at the top.
At the bottom under the box click on +IPV4 or IPV6. In the blank box that appears add the DNS number, select O.K, then Apply.

Suggestion: Write down your current DNS numbers before you make any changes. When I added the first new DNS, it deleted or looked like it got rid of the old ones. Not knowing what they pointed to....I added them back along with the new ones. You may have to go in and out to make sure you have all the ones you want.

here is the url I referenced in my post above:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1550468

Last edited:
Thanks for those references, target2019 and sheehs1. Bookmarking for the future.

Back
Top Bottom