How do you read new posts ?

Delawaredave5

Full time employment: Posting here.
Maybe this is a stupid question, but I'm trying figure out the most efficient/quickest way to scan/read new posts.

Old board, I used to hit "read next thread unread" worked great.

Now I have to hit "read previous thread" and then hit "read first unread" - but this button is not always there - so I have to see stuff twice.

Maybe I should try the "New Posts" at above - but not sure what that does.

Thanks

If you have the forum keep your log in information and then click on "New Posts" and after you read what you want go to "Quick Links" and click on "Mark Forums Read" the system will take you to the main forums listing page where you can just quit or read a specific forum. Additionally, you can go the "Quick Links" and look at "Today's Posts". These seem to work the best for me.

If you have the forum keep your log in information and then click on "New Posts" and after you read what you want go to "Quick Links" and click on "Mark Forums Read" the system will take you to the main forums listing page where you can just quit or read a specific forum. Additionally, you can go the "Quick Links" and look at "Today's Posts". These seem to work the best for me.

Thanks. I am logged in. I tried this - but the two problems:
1. It lists all the categories (I'm generally only reading "Fire and Money")
2. Each thread still shows all the posts - you have to hit "Read First Unread" (which does not work reliabily for me.)

Not a big deal.

I have "Subscribed Threads" (under Quicklinks) bookmarked. That's where I go first.

After that I click on "New Posts" to go through any new posts I have not subscribed to.

That captures all the postings since I've last visited.

When I'm done reading everything of interest, I click on "Mark Forums Read" under Quicklinks and that cleans the slate, so when I log in next time, they are all new posts.

Last edited:
Load the RSS feed to an RSS reader like bloglines.com. Then you can skim through all of the new posts and only click through to those you want to participate in or read responses to.

Load the RSS feed to an RSS reader like bloglines.com. Then you can skim through all of the new posts and only click through to those you want to participate in or read responses to.

Internet Explorer v7 has a built-in RSS Reader, which is what I use.

From the "Help" menu:

How do I view a feed?

When you visit a webpage, the Feeds button
GetContent.aspx
will change color, letting you know that feeds are available. Click the Feeds button, and then click the feed you want to see. To get content automatically, you should subscribe to a feed.

(The "Feeds" button is found in the Toolbar area at the top of the page.)

(With or without underwear)

Thanks for everyone's help. I'll try the RSS reader - never have figured those out... Have a great day !

Thanks for everyone's help. I'll try the RSS reader - never have figured those out... Have a great day !
I vote for bloglines.com. You sign up and they organize and track all your feeds. Nice service. Just click on "add feed" and paste in a URL. They identify the feeds and, if there are more than one, give you a choice to preview and select from.

Back
Top Bottom