Question about Ignore function

ER Eddie

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
When I ignore a member, there is still a notification in the thread that "This post is not visible because you have ___ on ignore" (or words to that effect). Is there a way to disable that? I'd rather not be reminded of the person I'm trying to ignore.

I don't think you can get what you want through the forum software. It is probably possible to do so with a browser extension or filter.

Ok, thanks. I didn't think so, but I thought I'd ask. No problem. Not a big deal. I'll just have to ignore the ignore notice. :)

The ignore features can really help make your experience better and minimize wasted time.

Having a way to view ignored posts is helpful even if you forgot why you placed a member or thread on ignore in the first place. You don’t actually have to read the “hidden”/“spoiler” posts.

Last edited:
Maybe the e-r.org software can be revised so posts by ignored members could be replaced by photos of kittens!

Lately, e-r.org is like a surrogate ROMEO club for me. The “ignored” are like that guy at the other end of the bar who just hangs there and, without warning, jumps up to hold forth on something and no one knows why.

I haven't yet felt compelled to ignore a poster.... but I'll concede that if I ever change my mind there is a short list of viable candidates.

The ignore features can really help make your experience better and minimize wasted time.

Having a way to view ignored posts is helpful even if you forgot why you placed a member or thread on ignore in the first place. You don’t actually have to read the “hidden”/“spoiler” posts.

Agreed on both counts. Other forum software puts a small notice at the bottom of the page, "show ignored content." I'd prefer that, because it's less intrusive. But like I said, no big deal. Being able to put someone on ignore is good enough.

I haven't yet felt compelled to ignore a poster.... but I'll concede that if I ever change my mind there is a short list of viable candidates.

Yeah, I haven't done it in the past. Lately I just don't have the patience for certain types of posters, and I'd rather not spend any energy on them whatsoever. In real life, I'd just walk away and not have to listen to them anymore, but in a forum, they are still yapping. Ignore helps a bit with that.

The proportion of ignore-worthy posters here is very low, probably around 1% or 2%. It's much worse on other forums. I think the tight moderation and established culture has weeded out most of the jerks over time.

Maybe the e-r.org software can be revised so posts by ignored members could be replaced by photos of kittens! http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/stress-worry-anger-gallup-97515-2.html#post2227791

lol, I like that. :)

The proportion of ignore-worthy posters here is very low, probably around 1% or 2%. It's much worse on other forums.

So true. I have never put anybody here on ignore, although I was tempted to do so with one or two members. I am glad I didn't. Through the years I began to see some really good qualities shining through that I didn't see at first.

.......Through the years I began to see some really good qualities shining through that I didn't see at first.
Good point. It turned out that Hitler was a sensitive artist and loved dogs. He just gave a really bad initial impression.

I removed the person from ignore. I found that having the notification "This post isn't visible because you have ___ on ignore" just ended up drawing my attention to that person, and it also reminded me of the reason why I'd placed him on ignore. It's like when you get a redacted document and you see the black bars -- that's where your attention goes (what's underneath? how come that's redacted? etc.). So ignore just ends up drawing my attention to the person, which is the opposite of what I'm intending.

Anyway, not a big deal. As I say, the dick quotient here is pretty low, much lower than on other forums.

Back
Top Bottom