Should we keep the calendar?

• Yes

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • No

Votes: 8 47.1%

• Total voters

dory36

Early-Retirement.org Founder, Developer of FIRECal
The new version of the software allows for an optional "calendar" at the bottom, showing upcoming birthdays and ages for those who put such (optional) info in their profile.

Should we keep it? It might be viewed as a bit of a privacy issue, even though it doesn't show real names, but then again, this is info that people have voluntarily entered into their profile, for anyone to see if they choose to look.

(If you leave the year as "0000", the calendar just shows your birthday is upcoming. Leave the whole date set to zero and you are ignored on your birthday.)

Seems harmless. Unless it causes a problem, I would keep it.

Plus, if we decide to proclaim a day for our own "FIRE" holiday, it could come in handy.

Unfortunately, one's birth date is often used for verification of identity, so it shouldn't be put online.

So I'd recommend not having anything that encourages people to publish their birth date.

retire@40 said:
Seems harmless. Unless it causes a problem, I would keep it.
Plus, if we decide to proclaim a day for our own "FIRE" holiday, it could come in handy.
I think we should also add fields to the birthday section to be able to include a mailing address for presents & checks!

Back
Top Bottom