Video + Audio

eytonxav

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have always had popup ads in the margins and headers when viewing the forum, but today I am getting them along with audio. Very annoying. What gives?

This is happening in Safari. I have not changed any of my sound settings and do not want to switch to Chrome.

We have very little control over google ads but have called for ads with no sound and no adult content in ad preferences. Sometimes however they send them along anyway. Most of those ads seem to be activated when you mouse over them so you might try be careful about not running your cursor over that area. In the mean time we can send google some e-mail. :)

Thanks Janet. They do appear to be google ads, but unfortunately they come on every time I click on a sub-forum or thread.

I keep my sound on mute, for this reason as well as not wanting to hear constant dings and beeps when my computer does stuff like boot up or turn on from sleeping. Sometimes I'm on the PC while DW is still asleep, and I don't want to disturb her. I've got a button on the keyboard to mute/unmute, so I just hit that whenever I actually want to hear something. No big deal, and it makes the various ads with sound un-annoying.

Per Harley's suggestion, I just turned my volume down, so the sound disruption has been eliminated, thanks!. The thing that surprises me, is this happened today out of the blue, as it never had been an issue for me in the past and does not happen on other sites. The ads are associated with browsing history, but that has been the case for some time. Google is not going to win friends with this type of thing, although I suppose their advertisers love it. Reminds of spam phone calls.

I play fantasy football, and the site (sportsline.com) would kick off an autoplay annoyance when you'd go to it. But they had an option on there to turn autoplay off, and for whatever reason turning off there seemed to stop it on other sites too. As I said, I keep the sound off until I want it, so I never bothered to figure out how to set it up that way during bootup. I'm sure there's a way.

The really annoying thing is when I go to youtube or something and turn on the sound, and there are other tabs open and one of them is playing some BS ad. It can be really hard to find it and turn it off. I usually end up closing the other tabs one at a time until I finally get rid of it. Someday I have to find a good way to block those things. I guess I could switch to Chrome, but I tried it years ago and didn't like it. Maybe it's time to try again.

Back
Top Bottom