ACA to Medicare Process

Still not sure how to proceed

I'm the "contact person" or policy owner for my wife and I. I will be transitioning to Medicare in May. I called the marketplace today to ask what I need to do to stop coverage for myself on the last day of April, asking if it could be scheduled or if I need to call on that last day in April. She initially said it could be scheduled, and started asking more questions to identify me. She then came back and said if she processes the cancellation today, it would drop coverage for me immediately so I should wait and call back on "April 31" (yes, there are only 30 days in April).

We will be traveling out of the country at the end of April and first 10 days of May, and calling during that time will be inconvenient (especially for an expected long-duration phone call to make sure things are done correctly). But I'll make it happen if that's what's required.

Does anyone have any recent experience with this that can offer advice? I especially want to make sure my wife's Marketplace coverage continues in force, along with mine being cancelled no earlier than the last day of April. It seems something will need to be done to make her the policy owner when I drop out. What's your experience been in this situation?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom