Am I Being Forgetful or Distracted?

For those who are worried about memory loss I recommend strenuous mental effort. At 63 i experience a lot of the forgetfulness and loss of attention that others are reporting here: couldn't recall one of my best friend's name yesterday until my wife reminded me and sometimes I forget why I walked into the kitchen. However, I recently completed an intensive language course of four months in which among other requirements we had to memorize more than 30 new vocabulary words each day. On the tests I scored probably at the 75th percentile against students whose average age was probably 30. I do know that I worked a lot harder at it than many of them and that it would have been easier for me when I was their age, but nevertheless.

Like physical abilities, mental skills probably have a use-or-lose-it quality.

Things are what they are. A few examples:

I might meet someone tonight, run into them tomorrow, have no clue who they are. Untill they speak. I recognioze voices, faces forget it.

When my GM was in her upper 90's (and living alone) my mother decided the kids should invite ourselves for supper a few tiimes a week (GM couldn't be bothered to make herself a meal). She could remember: what happened in 1912, who I was, what was happening in the news. She couldn't remeber: if she had breakfast, if so what it was and if she'd had any visitors that day. She also explained it as "I remember things that matter".

Me too.

Just started reading this thread and it reminded me of an 'incident' that occurred while I was in my late 40s........the house my late wife & I were living in had a stairwell, with a small landing, visible from the open area living/dining/kitchen.......I was on the landing when my wife spoke to me and we had an exchange lasting several minutes.

When we stopped talking I was damned if I could remember if I was on the landing because I was heading UP or because I was heading DOWN!

A one shot deal, (as far as I can 'remember'), but at the time it gave me cause for concern and I've never forgotten how it felt.

"What we have here is a failure to concentrate." A take on the Paul Newman movie.

I did it again. Yesterday, going shoping when I arrived at the store, my thought was "Darn it, forgot my list!" Then when I get home, I see in my wallet...the list. I forgot that I had placed the list in there.

Today, I bring my car into the shop. The place is about 4 miles away. So instead of just sitting there and waiting, I have this small folding bicycle that I fold the post for the handle bars down and shove the bicycle in my back seat. Well...I drop the car off, hop on my bike and start pedaling when I almost fall off! Forgot to secure the handle bar post! :blush:

I did it again. Yesterday, going shoping when I arrived at the store, my thought was "Darn it, forgot my list!" Then when I get home, I see in my wallet...the list. I forgot that I had placed the list in there.

If you have a smartphone, start making it a practice to only make lists on your phone, never on paper. Then you will always have them with you. At least, most of us never forget our phones.

easysurfer said:
Today, I bring my car into the shop. The place is about 4 miles away. So instead of just sitting there and waiting, I have this small folding bicycle that I fold the post for the handle bars down and shove the bicycle in my back seat. Well...I drop the car off, hop on my bike and start pedaling when I almost fall off! Forgot to secure the handle bar post! :blush:

Can't help you with that one! :LOL: Glad you didn't fall off.

If you have a smartphone, start making it a practice to only make lists on your phone, never on paper. Then you will always have them with you. At least, most of us never forget our phones.
You can be sure you won't forget your phone by including it on a list of things not to forget...:)

Can't help you with that one! :LOL: Glad you didn't fall off.

Good idea. I don't have a smart phone but a simple mobile phone. Maybe I should have tucked the list in there. Or just checked my wallet :blush:

I could tie a string around my finger...but I know I'll go "What's this string supposed to remind me of?":LOL:

Yes, I saw a big fall off my bicycle flash before me.

"What we have here is a failure to concentrate." A take on the Paul Newman movie.
Well...I drop the car off, hop on my bike and start pedaling when I almost fall off! Forgot to secure the handle bar post! :blush:
Yes, I saw a big fall off my bicycle flash before me.
Is it possible that you're rushing through the routine?

I hope these near-misses inspire you to move a little more deliberately and thoughtfully... before the situation resolves itself by making it a lot harder for you to move at all.

If your incidents happened in the military, you (and everyone else at your command) would be forced to sit in an auditorium for eight hours of mandatory alertness training. And the chain of command would somehow let slip to all your shipmates that your incidents were the inspiration for the all-hands evolution.

Is it possible that you're rushing through the routine?

I hope these near-misses inspire you to move a little more deliberately and thoughtfully... before the situation resolves itself by making it a lot harder for you to move at all.

If your incidents happened in the military, you (and everyone else at your command) would be forced to sit in an auditorium for eight hours of mandatory alertness training. And the chain of command would somehow let slip to all your shipmates that your incidents were the inspiration for the all-hands evolution.

I do think it very well could be having the mindset of mult-tasking or rushing, like you said.
As the saying goes, "Haste makes waste."

I'll pass on having to sit in an auditorium for eight hours, thank you :facepalm:.

Fifth rattlesnake in the yard this year, but I saw it first. As far as I am concerned they like little land mines, ready to hurt you. I think meditation, and being present in the moment, helps my situational awareness, without the fear.

Back
Top Bottom